(PO) Well, I am not a fan of the Supreme Court right now and trying to not get really wound up about it

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

(PO) Well, I am not a fan of the Supreme Court right now and trying to not get really wound up about it

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:53 am

Have a SUPER Saturday!
gardenofeden.jpg
10pm.jpg

Tarmaque

Re: (PO) Well, I am not a fan of the Supreme Court right now and trying to not get really wound up about it

Post by Tarmaque » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:53 am

I suspect that packing the court is going to be a pretty big discussion among the upper echelons of the Democratic party, but I also don't see things changing before the midterms. This may be enough impetus to get Democrats out to the polls in large enough numbers to increase their majority in the Senate and perhaps not lose much in the House. Or maybe not.

I'm beginning to think that increasing the number of justices on the Supreme Court would not be a bad thing. With more justices it would be less likely a rogue one-term President could change the nature of the courts. I also think there needs to be some significant changes to the ethics rules for the court, which is actually something that Congress can do as well. Not to mention term limits or a mandatory retirement age. But at the very least there needs to be clarity on when a justice is required to recuse themselves (currently it's at the justice's discretion) and a structure and list of impeachable offenses that would require the removal of a Justice. Currently there basically are none, only a general statement in the constitution that "The justice shall hold their office on good behavior." We need a list of what constitutes bad behavior. Lying to Congress during confirmation hearings seems to me to be "bad behavior."

Mike

Re: (PO) Well, I am not a fan of the Supreme Court right now and trying to not get really wound up about it

Post by Mike » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:08 am

If nothing changes before the 2022 midterms, nothing will change for another decade or more. The GOP has put in place both the mechanisms and the mindset to ensure they obtain and then retain Congress. And SCOTUS has just signaled its obvious partisanship and ideology, so now all the lower courts over which conservo-Repub jurists preside will be more prone to letting Repub challenges to election losses tie up those courts.

The 2022 election cycle is going to be a mess. Redistributing producing more Repub wins, and Repubs that lose refusing to concede, and instead dragging those elections through courts that are now receptive to the tactic and will do what they can to produce Repub wins.

And we know that, with Manchin and SINema running interference on behalf of the GOP, nothing will continue to get done by this Congress.

Senor Natural

Post by Senor Natural » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:20 pm

Always vote, and never vote for a republican, even if you know them personally.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:21 pm

Prediction: This "gun control" bill that the right is all mad about is so toothless that it will not contribute at all to lowering the epidemic of mass shootings in this country. In five or six years you'll hear the 2nd Amendment nuts shouting from their soap boxes "SEE! We let you have gun control and gun violence didn't disappear!" Never acknowledging that this bill only addresses a few fringe problems with firearms ownership.

Randi

Post by Randi » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:03 pm

I’m no fan of the 6 people on the Supreme Court that decide that I am worth less than a clump of cells.
Maybe we need a “ mind your own flippin business amendment “ to the constitution. Don’t want abortion? Don’t have one Don’t want to marry someone of the same gender,? Same thing. I fail to see how personal decisions about how you want you life to be structured is your neighbors or the government’s business