(PO) Temperatures Rising, not good...

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

GuideToACrazyWorld

Re: (PO) Temperatures Rising, not good...

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:41 pm

Mike wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:55 pm
how can it be that, if a woman travels from a Texas to NJ or to Israel or to Sweden and gets an abortion, she can be arrested for it upon her return to Texas?
There is an existing federal law against pedophile sex tourism. If you travel to another country with the intent of having sex with someone under 18, you have broken a US federal law. Emotionally this is a no brainer, but it creates a bunch of legal issues as you point out. Extending this kind of law to the states seems a step to far to me.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:47 pm

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:18 pm
Tarmaque wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:43 pm
So I was wrong, but right considering the time I grew up.
It's funny how perspective colors our point of view. In my mind it has always been that way. So, I was equally wrong.
I just remember an Uncle I had back in the 70's (Married to my Grandmother's Sister) who was a petty criminal in Oregon. However he lived here in Washington right across the border and apparently his crime wasn't bad enough for them to bother extraditing him. He wouldn't drive south to Portland for fear of being arrested. It was a bit of a family scandal, but I never heard exactly what it was he had done. I suspect it was something fraud related. He reminded me a great deal of Robert Preston (Best remembered for The Music Man.) They divorced in the early 80's and I never heard about him again, although my Aunt is one of my favorite relatives and is still alive in her 90's living in Anaheim.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:19 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:47 pm
I just remember an Uncle I had back in the 70's (Married to my Grandmother's Sister) who was a petty criminal in Oregon. However he lived here in Washington right across the border and apparently his crime wasn't bad enough for them to bother extraditing him. He wouldn't drive south to Portland for fear of being arrested. It was a bit of a family scandal, but I never heard exactly what it was he had done. I suspect it was something fraud related. He reminded me a great deal of Robert Preston (Best remembered for The Music Man.) They divorced in the early 80's and I never heard about him again, although my Aunt is one of my favorite relatives and is still alive in her 90's living in Anaheim.
The only thing that could have made that story any better is if he had a nick-name with a state in it. I'm going to give him one, he will forever be known as Washington Slim.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:30 pm

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:19 pm
The only thing that could have made that story any better is if he had a nick-name with a state in it. I'm going to give him one, he will forever be known as Washington Slim.
"We named the dog Washington Slim!"

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:14 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:30 pm
"We named the dog Washington Slim!"
I still think that was the best of those films. Yes, better then Raiders. The interactions between Ford and Connery were pure gold. That being the most popular example.