(PO) Wednesday World Woes ...Sigh

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

(PO) Wednesday World Woes ...Sigh

Post by Z is for Zangie » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:57 am

[/b]So sad about those migrants in the semi, that is just unconscionable...I hope they catch whoever did that. Plus the Amtrak derailing. SO much death. On that cheery note, hope you have a Wonderful Wednesday! Oh do you think yesterday's testimony is even a little a smoking gun?[/b]
smokingun.jpg
rump.jpg

GuideToACrazyWorld

Re: (PO) Wednesday World Woes ...Sigh

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:10 pm

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:57 am
So sad about those migrants in the semi, that is just unconscionable
It's more common then most think. I'm a little surprised it made the news this time. Illegal boarder crossing are extremely dangerous. That doesn't account for those who are abused and sent into slavery. It's disgusting what humans can do to each other.
Z is for Zangie wrote:
Oh do you think yesterday's testimony is even a little a smoking gun?
I haven't had time to review all of it yet, but there was noting I found shocking more narcistic behavior from a narcist. Most of it I had more or less assumed anyway. Sometimes it pays to be a cynic...

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:04 pm

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:10 pm
Z is for Zangie wrote:
Oh do you think yesterday's testimony is even a little a smoking gun?
I haven't had time to review all of it yet, but there was noting I found shocking more narcistic behavior from a narcist. Most of it I had more or less assumed anyway. Sometimes it pays to be a cynic...
I don't know about smoking gun, but it was certainly confirmation of what those of us who are not Trumpanistas already pretty much knew. It will be difficult for the MAGA-heads to counter this, particularly with so many of Trump's former staff not only confirming that this was typical behavior, but also vouching for Hutchinson's credibility.

Then again, none of the Trumpanistas are watching this, and have already decided that it's fake news without even being exposed to it. They'll never be convinced. Not even if Carrotface von Golfcart is convicted, which I never thought would happen but I'm getting there.

The one thing I will point out is I have been extremely impressed with Chaney, and I think it has been wise to have her do most of the questioning. She comes across as calm, intelligent, persistent, and willing to ask tough questions. And not at all partisan. It's no wonder Republicans hate her so much these days.

But I also thought Flynn's testimony came across as cowardly and craven. He's terrified, living on his precarious pardon. He took the fifth on questions that weren't even about crimes!

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:36 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:04 pm
I don't know about smoking gun, but it was certainly confirmation of what those of us who are not Trumpanistas already pretty much knew.
Yeah pretty much what I meant. It's mind boggling to me that people didn't know all this before he ran. He's been a public figure for decades and been pulling the same crap the entire time. I think the problem is we have far to many people who mistake tough talk for leadership. Narcissists' can be very successful leaders, but only when they learn to tamper their narcissisms as part of their manipulation. It appears to me that Trump never learned this. He's just always been so far ahead that he no one ever felt they could question. It's like the archetype of the bratty prince. Or to use another cliché he was born on 3rd base and thought he hit a home run.

Or to put it succinctly (stop laughing I can do it sometimes!). The reason why so many people point out that Trump is a con-artist is because he's not even a good one.
Tarmaque wrote:
Then again, none of the Trumpanistas are watching this, and have already decided that it's fake news without even being exposed to it.
The radio station my truck is normally tuned to is conservative talk radio in the mornings. (It's Dave Ramsey in the afternoon which is arguably still conservative talk radio but he's what I listen for) anyway I heard the the talking head and some call in talking. They were going on and on about how "they" are just going to throw anything on the wall and see what sticks. They where dismissing even the discussion of the testimony. There isn't much you can do for the willfully ignorant.
Tarmaque wrote:
The one thing I will point out is I have been extremely impressed with Chaney, and I think it has been wise to have her do most of the questioning. She comes across as calm, intelligent, persistent, and willing to ask tough questions. And not at all partisan. It's no wonder Republicans hate her so much these days.
I haven't watched a lot of the hearing, I mostly read the transcripts because even as slow as I read I can get through it quicker that way. But what I have seen I agree. I'm not impressed enough to say I'd vote for her for President, but she seems better then most I can think of.
Tarmaque wrote:
But I also thought Flynn's testimony came across as cowardly and craven. He's terrified, living on his precarious pardon. He took the fifth on questions that weren't even about crimes!
The more I see of Flynn the less I like him, that is for sure.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:24 pm

Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:36 pm
I'm not impressed enough to say I'd vote for her for President, but she seems better then most I can think of.
I agree, although she's one of a VERY few Republicans that if they were elected President I wouldn't fear for the security of our country.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:12 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:24 pm
I agree, although she's one of a VERY few Republicans that if they were elected President I wouldn't fear for the security of our country.
I'm trying to think of another. Give me a month or so...

I do really like Mike Lee. But he's full nerd, which speaks to me, but not the nation as a whole.

Really other then that, I have nothing. I liked Cruz when he first gained national performance, but the more he talked the scarier he got. I know a lot are talking about DeSanto. He seems more interested in culture wars the governing to me.

At this point I'd settle for anyone I think won't make things worse. That's how I got to Biden.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:09 pm

Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:12 pm
I do really like Mike Lee. But he's full nerd, which speaks to me, but not the nation as a whole.
I'm no fan of Mitt Romney, either, but at least I think he's relatively honest. Wrong a lot, but honest about it. I don't think he's into lying and cheating ro maintain power.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:31 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:09 pm
I'm no fan of Mitt Romney, either, but at least I think he's relatively honest.
I'm not sure what lot Romney stands for. He seems to be all over the place at times. Which is a sign that he is being relatively honesty. I don't think he's dangerous. I also don't see him having a hope in the GOP primaries at this point.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:49 pm

Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:31 pm
I also don't see him having a hope in the GOP primaries at this point.
I agree. He's the Joe Biden of the Republican party, except the rank and file of the Republican party isn't interested in a centrist. This is kinda the difference between the Republicans and the Democrats these days.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:05 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:49 pm
He's the Joe Biden of the Republican party, except the rank and file of the Republican party isn't interested in a centrist.
I really don't think they care about policies. All that matters is we get dem libs!
Tarmaque wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:49 pm
This is kinda the difference between the Republicans and the Democrats these days.
The DNC has a similar spilt going on. Trump throw gasoline on the GOP though. I think the fear is that a centralist can't win. At least that is what most people I know seem to think. I also don't think the GOP has a lot of good centralists right now. I can't think of a single up and comer. Which is scary. As the party moves more to the extremes of whatever it is, we have less and less hope of anything that resembles what I think of as conservatism. I might be that the closets thing will be centralist Demarcates. Which seems crazy to me, but it also illustrates how in the larger picture of political thought our parties really aren't all that different. They are both Authoritarian Right.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:33 pm

Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:05 pm
I really don't think they care about policies. All that matters is we get dem libs!
Pretty much. Easier to get people to hate than to get them to love.
Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:05 pm
As the party moves more to the extremes of whatever it is, we have less and less hope of anything that resembles what I think of as conservatism.
Yeah, realistically Biden is a Republican from 70 years ago. Hell, I'd even go so far as to say he's to the right of someone like Eisenhower. I would love to have an Eisenhower Republican to vote for today.

Mike

Post by Mike » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:39 am

Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:31 pm
Tarmaque wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:09 pm
I'm no fan of Mitt Romney, either, but at least I think he's relatively honest.
I'm not sure what lot Romney stands for. He seems to be all over the place at times. Which is a sign that he is being relatively honesty. I don't think he's dangerous. I also don't see him having a hope in the GOP primaries at this point.
I’m not sure I want my politicians to “stand for” something. What I want from them is the smartest possible use of my tax dollar. Here’s something to think about:

Not that smart public policy is exclusively about a P/L statement. But this presentation, which is based exclusively on data, shows that in so many instances it is the poor who are subsidizing the middle class. Yet so very much of current politics is based on a presumption that it’s the reverse of this. Is it any wonder our politics have become so dysfunctional?

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:23 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:33 pm
I would love to have an Eisenhower Republican to vote for today.
I would love anyone to vote for today.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:40 pm

Mike wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:39 am
What I want from them is the smartest possible use of my tax dollar.
That would be standing for something. I'm a little confused, clearly we see the phrase differently. If a politician stands for nothing then they are wildly unpredictable.
Mike wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:39 am
But this presentation, which is based exclusively on data, shows that in so many instances it is the poor who are subsidizing the middle class.

Before we can have such a conversation we need to be specific with these terms. What is income level is considered poor? What income level is considered middle class? You may think I'm being Pedantic but it matters. The poorest among us do pay far less taxes (as they should).

As far as the inefficacy of "urban sprawl" has been long known. There are so many issues that lead to this, but it all really started when we abandoned trains for highways. Now we are so intrenched it's a long road out. And we haven't even taken the first step.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:44 pm

Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:40 pm
As far as the inefficacy of "urban sprawl" has been long known. There are so many issues that lead to this, but it all really started when we abandoned trains for highways. Now we are so intrenched it's a long road out. And we haven't even taken the first step.
I would argue that another issue was the introduction and advancement of mechanized farming. Look at a satellite view of most of Europe and you'll see that it's little more than a patchwork quilt of little independent farms. This provides a good way of life for a lot of people. But in the US we've gone all in on mechanized mega-farms, which pushes people out of the countryside and into the cities because the mega-farms don't require as much labor. But not everyone wants to live in a city, so they spread out in a web of little pieces of the lifestyle that we're told by our culture is ideal. Every family with its little piece of the earth, but nobody farms it anymore. It isn't economical to compete with the mega-farms. But it also spreads us out so much that it's impossible to live without our automobiles. We don't live within walking distance of a village, which at its head has always been a gathering place for the local farm-produced items to send them off for sale, the way Europe evolved.

Mike

Post by Mike » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:19 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:44 pm
Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:40 pm
I would argue that another issue was the introduction and advancement of mechanized farming. Look at a satellite view of most of Europe and you'll see that it's little more than a patchwork quilt of little independent farms. This provides a good way of life for a lot of people. But in the US we've gone all in on mechanized mega-farms, which pushes people out of the countryside and into the cities because the mega-farms don't require as much labor. But not everyone wants to live in a city, so they spread out in a web of little pieces of the lifestyle that we're told by our culture is ideal. Every family with its little piece of the earth, but nobody farms it anymore. It isn't economical to compete with the mega-farms. But it also spreads us out so much that it's impossible to live without our automobiles. We don't live within walking distance of a village, which at its head has always been a gathering place for the local farm-produced items to send them off for sale, the way Europe evolved.
It’s the American way.

Personally I live close enough to my local markets that I don’t rely on a car. Ordinarily I’ll hop on my bicycle (the ‘dirt’ bike with the front and rear shocks, not my road bike lol) to get what I need.

I got into a near-fight over this once. A guy in a big SUV nearly hit me while turning into the lot of that market, just didn’t look for me at all. I had to jump off the bike and onto the sidewalk to prevent me getting crushed. When I went to discuss it with him, he was utterly rude and said something about “mind your own business, we adults drive to the store” (I was 55 at the time). And he walked into the store as if I had inconvenienced him! So I waited for him. Not with any ‘intent’ mind you…. But on his way out carrying his bags of groceries he saw me waiting, and presumed I did have intent. I picked up on that, and played the part. Every time he took a step in a direction, I took a step that way. He was scared as hell! Then I walked away…. toward his SUV. And stood there. And I just stood there, and he was afraid to come to his car. He put a bag down and took out his phone and said “I’m calling the police” and I replied “go right ahead”.

The bag he put down fell over, and the contents sprawled into the lot. At that point I laughed and went into the store to complete my own shopping.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:26 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:44 pm
That is a very fair point. Agribusiness is perhaps the most damaging result of industrialization. It creates many issues including contributing to urban sprawl as you point out here.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:32 pm

Mike wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:19 pm
I got into a near-fight over this once.
Shocked I tell you!