(PO) Thoughts and Themes on a Thursday

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

(PO) Thoughts and Themes on a Thursday

Post by Z is for Zangie » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:24 am

Have a terrific Thursday. I have a four day weekend starting tomorrow and really looking forward to that,
babies.jpg
Cassidy.jpg

Mike

Re: (PO) Thoughts and Themes on a Thursday

Post by Mike » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:16 pm

And the hits just keep on coming. SCOTUS this morning decided that the EPA, the Environmental Protection Agency, lacks jurisdiction to protect the environment. At least where greenhouse gases are concerned.

They are moving in rapid-fire to take us back to 1954.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:49 pm

Mike wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:16 pm
SCOTUS this morning decided that the EPA, the Environmental Protection Agency, lacks jurisdiction to protect the environment.
No, the court limited the EPA's power and pointed out what I've been saying for years. New legislation should come from Congress, from the elected officials who are accountable to the people. When congress defers these powers to "agencies" there is no accountability to the people. How can you call this democracy?

Again, as much as I agree with outcome, this is another example of legislating from the bench. While it is true that the EPA does not have the ability to directly legislate a change to our energy infrastructure, they didn't do that. They set emissions standards which are clearly in their privy. They didn't outlaw coal power. They simply set the standards at a lower level then it would be possible to achieve with current coal technology. Or as Dr. John said...

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:49 pm

Mike wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:16 pm
SCOTUS this morning decided that the EPA, the Environmental Protection Agency, lacks jurisdiction to protect the environment.
No, the court limited the EPA's power and pointed out what I've been saying for years. New legislation should come from Congress, from the elected officials who are accountable to the people. When congress defers these powers to "agencies" there is no accountability to the people. How can you call this democracy?

Again, as much as I agree with outcome, this is another example of legislating from the bench. While it is true that the EPA does not have the ability to directly legislate a change to our energy infrastructure, they didn't do that. They set emissions standards which are clearly in their privy. They didn't outlaw coal power. They simply set the standards at a lower level then it would be possible to achieve with current coal technology. Or as Dr. John said...

Edit: Serendipity. This is a very interesting argument. Traditionally I've been against property tax because it basically amounts to rent. George's argument is more or less that that is the point. It also might be a viable solution to the issue you bring up here. As if all taxes are coming from land ownership it would incentivize more efferent use of the land and more efferent urban planning.

Mike

Post by Mike » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:11 pm

Game over:
4DCF7615-7BC0-4731-A903-0DBFCE5910F0.jpeg
1. He just stated that he asked for a pardon.
2. He would in all likelihood not have noticed any particular staffer in his panic to get a pardon.

So Rudia, in attempting to discredit Hutchinson, not only gives complete credence to her testimony - but implicates himself, and by extension everyone else, in the process.

It’s like saying “Your Honor, the witness was nowhere in sight when I killed that girl - therefore the witness is a liar, and the case against me fraudulent”

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:08 pm

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:49 pm
This is a very interesting argument. Traditionally I've been against property tax because it basically amounts to rent. George's argument is more or less that that is the point. It also might be a viable solution to the issue you bring up here. As if all taxes are coming from land ownership it would incentivize more efferent use of the land and more efferent urban planning.
That was very interesting. Dunno if I agree with it, but it was interesting. Thank you for sharing.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:41 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:08 pm
That was very interesting. Dunno if I agree with it, but it was interesting. Thank you for sharing.
Of course. I play this kind of stuff in the background at work all day. The older I get the stranger I find the concept of land ownership. So maybe I'm softening up. ;)

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:41 am

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:41 pm
The older I get the stranger I find the concept of land ownership.
I'm kinda the same way. Also, the poorer I get the stranger I find the concept of land ownership.