Two-thirds of independents say they don't want Trump to run for president

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

GuideToACrazyWorld

Two-thirds of independents say they don't want Trump to run for president

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:42 am

Former President Donald Trump continues to heavily suggest he will run for president in 2024, but a new poll out from NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist shows voters in the middle overwhelmingly don't want him to give it another go.

Sixty-seven percent of independents said they do not want Trump to run again, while just 28% said they do. In 2020, Trump lost independents and lost the election. In 2016, Trump fared better with the group, but throughout his presidency and afterward he suffered with them and has never regained them.

"I think we need someone who can start uniting the country," said survey participant Mike Helms, 68, of Lincolnton, N.C., an independent who voted for Trump in 2020. "I don't think him or [President] Biden can unite this country."

Trump has continued to be heavily unpopular outside of his base, raising questions about the strength of a Trump 2024 candidacy. People who live in large cities and suburban women continue to be two of the groups most opposed to Trump, while white evangelical Christians, whites without college degrees and those in rural areas are most supportive.
Sponsor Message

"I definitely don't want him to run, because he will split the Republican Party and give the vote to the Democrats," said Greg Cox, 54, of New Haven, Mo., another independent who voted for Trump in 2020.

Overall, 61% of survey respondents said they don't want Trump to run again, largely unchanged from just after the 2020 election that Trump lost. A lot has transpired since then, and it shows just how locked in Americans' views are of Trump.

In fact, when respondents were asked if they would want Trump to run again, even if he is charged with a crime, the percentage saying no only increased marginally to 65%. That's within the margin of error.
Biden approval hits another new low as more Democrats sour on him, poll finds
July poll
Biden approval hits another new low as more Democrats sour on him, poll finds

Republicans looked like they were starting to pull away from Trump, but since the FBI searched Mar-a-Lago, his Florida home, for classified materials, they have reconsolidated around him.

When it comes to the FBI search, a plurality (44%) of respondents said they think Trump did something illegal. Another 17% think he did something unethical, but not illegal. Nearly 30% maintain he did nothing wrong, including 63% of Republicans.

Two-thirds of Republicans said they want Trump to run again, and a whopping 61% of them said they still want him to run even if he's charged with a crime.

Trump is using the FBI search as a rallying cry, calling it an "egregious abuse of the law." That's despite the FBI obtaining a legal search warrant. The Justice Department has said that it began investigating after a referral from the National Archives about classified material being mixed in with other material it received from Trump.

The FBI said it had evidence that Trump's team did not turn over all the documents it was asked for — and the search bore that out. An inventory of the search of Trump's home found dozens of boxes of documents, including some marked with the highest, most sensitive classifications.
Federal judge grants Trump's special master request to review Mar-a-Lago materials
Politics
Federal judge grants Trump's special master request to review Mar-a-Lago materials

On Monday, Trump was granted the right to a "special master" to separate out materials that have attorney-client privilege and even potentially material that could be argued to have "executive privilege," even though Trump is no longer president.

"We're going to take back America," Trump said at a rally in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. Saturday, where he lambasted the FBI search. "And in 2024, most importantly, we are going to take back our magnificent White House."

But Trump's base alone proved not to be enough in 2020, and likely wouldn't be in 2024, either.

Biden has also struggled with independents, who have largely disapproved of the job he has done so far, so they will be a major question mark and potentially hold the key to a 2024 presidential election, if it is a Biden-Trump rematch.

Helms, for example, said he would vote for Trump over Biden if Trump does run again, but not happily.

Cox said he would "absolutely not" vote for Trump again if there's a next time around, but he emphatically said he is not open to voting for Biden, either.

"Maybe I'd vote Libertarian," Cox said.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Re: Two-thirds of independents say they don't want Trump to run for president

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:43 am

In a related story 1/3 of independents have lived in a cave since 2016...

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:16 am

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:43 am
In a related story 1/3 of independents have lived in a cave since 2016...
Presumably right next to the tree Trump's monkey base fell out of.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:19 pm

A-hyup. The DOJ just appealed that ridiculous ruling for a special Master, and read the Judge the riot act on "Executive Privilege" based on Supreme Court rulings. They told her she can reverse her decision, or they're doing an end run around her to an appeals court. It's pretty savage.

I think Trump may need some new underclothing after someone explains this to him.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:23 am

Tarmaque wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:19 pm
A-hyup. The DOJ just appealed that ridiculous ruling for a special Master, and read the Judge the riot act on "Executive Privilege" based on Supreme Court rulings. They told her she can reverse her decision, or they're doing an end run around her to an appeals court. It's pretty savage.

I think Trump may need some new underclothing after someone explains this to him.
I was just going to post this, I am glad they did this...Go Justice Department

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:10 am

Tarmaque wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:19 pm
The DOJ just appealed that ridiculous ruling for a special Master, and read the Judge the riot act on "Executive Privilege" based on Supreme Court rulings.
The irony of the whole thing is this will probably end up dragging the process out even long win, or lose.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:06 am

Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:10 am
The irony of the whole thing is this will probably end up dragging the process out even long win, or lose.
I will say I'm optimistic. I read the appeal, and I've heard a bunch of lawyers discuss the original ruling. If Judge Jeanine... er... excuse me... Judge Aileen Cannon is dumb enough to deny their direct appeal which was made with tons of precedent and settled law, they're going to climb over her head so fast she'll need to treat herself for athlete's scalp. I suspect this one case may have just destroyed her career. And I don't say this because I think she was trying to protect Carrotface von Golfcart or in any way trying to pay him back for her appointment. I think she's just that incompetent.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:17 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:06 am
I think she was trying to protect Carrotface von Golfcart or in any way trying to pay him back for her appointment.
I don't know if it was that, or a judge who saw an unique situation and decided to legislate from the bench. Judges often do that in the name of legacy.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:57 pm

Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:17 pm
I don't know if it was that, or a judge who saw an unique situation and decided to legislate from the bench. Judges often do that in the name of legacy.
I don't even think it was that complicated. I think she just saw "her" guy asking for what seemed to her to be a reasonable request. So without researching or thinking about it she acceded to his request in an offhand and poorly considered document.