( Saturday NO PO) Today is National Swap Ideas Day and National TV Dinner Day

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

( Saturday NO PO) Today is National Swap Ideas Day and National TV Dinner Day

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:21 am

I think swapping or sharing ideas is something we do all the time here. I learn a lot and hopefully, people get something useful out of what I say. I ask for help with stuff sometimes and people help me, that is cool. I can't remember the last time I had a TV dinner, though I mostly never cared for any other than maybe the fried chicken one as most were things I didn't like that were not frozen...lol...they are often a convenience or cheap thing...both my grandmother and now my mom, get small ones because they didn't/don't eat much and it is cheaper.
swapdeasday.jpg
swapdeasday.jpg (9.07 KiB) Viewed 876 times
tvdinnerday.jpg
tvdinnerday.jpg (14.29 KiB) Viewed 876 times

Tarmaque

Re: ( Saturday NO PO) Today is National Swap Ideas Day and National TV Dinner Day

Post by Tarmaque » Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:19 am

I remember TV dinners. We didn't have them much, but my Dad's parents usually had some around. Grandma always cooked Sunday dinner, but other times she'd often just throw in a TV dinner for us kids. I suppose it was just easier when it was just her and one or two kids. They never tasted right to me though. I preferred the ones with tater-tots because at least they tasted like food.

My other Grandmother always cooked something, but dinners there (always sit down, but in the kitchen not the dining room) always included canned green beans, or canned corn, or canned cream corn, and often canned fruit cocktail or canned peaches or pears. The main dish could be all sorts of things, from roast chicken to pork chops to spaghetti.

Mysterious Cat

Re: ( Saturday NO PO) Today is National Swap Ideas Day and National TV Dinner Day

Post by Mysterious Cat » Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:27 am

I eat a "frozen dinner" for lunch at work most days a week, which may or may not be a tv dinner, depending on how you define things. But I get the hippie food kind that is good for you, at least in theory. Amy's Organics is good, they have some Indian dinners that I like. Saffron Road is ok, and I sometimes get the (vegan non-meatball) meatball dinner from Purple Carrot. Michael Angelo's is an Italian themed line that is surprisingly good for something that comes frozen in a box. But I haven't had a proper tv dinner with the little compartments with starchy fake mashed potatoes and some questionable cobbler dessert thing for a long time. I'm not a foodie but even I don't miss those.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:47 am

Mysterious Cat wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:27 am
Michael Angelo's is an Italian themed line that is surprisingly good for something that comes frozen in a box
Their lasagna is pretty good. I haven't tried any of their other stuff, and I don't eat wheat pasta anymore. I'd really like a lasagna right about now. Should look around and see if I can find some chickpea lasagna noodles. I actually prefer the lentil pasta, but it's harder to find. Don't even start with me on the cauliflower pasta. 🤢 🤮

Mysterious Cat

Post by Mysterious Cat » Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:02 am

Tarmaque wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:47 am
Should look around and see if I can find some chickpea lasagna noodles. I actually prefer the lentil pasta, but it's harder to find. Don't even start with me on the cauliflower pasta. 🤢 🤮
Never tried any of those latter varieties. I'll eat whole wheat pasta sometimes, but the taste doesn't thrill me. Usually I eat it for health reasons when I am exercising a lot. Which probably doesn't make as much sense as I tell myself it does. Good old fashioned semolina is still the best. I have noticed that cauliflower crust pizza is kind of a trend- I had one the other day and it was ok, but I had one a while back and it was soggy crap. So it seems to depend on the preparation.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:21 am

I Don't remember the last time I had the old style TV dinners. Do they still even make them?

we do occasionally use precooked pasta or meat dishes for "quick nights" Costco has some decent stuff.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:03 am

Mysterious Cat wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:02 am
I'll eat whole wheat pasta sometimes, but the taste doesn't thrill me.
I learned to like whole grain pasta a few years ago, but when my blood sugar got all out of control I basically cut all carbohydrates out of my diet. I still don't think it'll do me any good going forward. The next step is insulin, which I do not want to do. However, if I did go the insulin route I could start eating carbs again.