(Thursday PO) Conservative speaker event at UC Davis canceled after brawl

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

GuideToACrazyWorld

(Thursday PO) Conservative speaker event at UC Davis canceled after brawl

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:12 am

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/con ... 45558DAVIS, Calif. -- A conservative speaker event at the University of California, Davis was canceled after a fight between about 100 protesters and counterprotesters broke out near the venue, university officials said.

The event Tuesday evening was put together by a student organization affiliated with Turning Point USA, a group that organizes young people on college campuses to engage in conservative activism, UC Davis officials said in a statement Wednesday.

The university said the brawl began before a speech by Stephen Davis, who is known as “MAGA Hulk."

It said that according to reports, some of those who took part in the melee wore apparel labeled “Proud Boys” and that witnesses reported people with antifa, a contraction for anti-fascists, were also involved.

The event's cancelation and brawl at UC Davis came a day after Pennsylvania State University canceled a speech Monday by Gavin McInnes, who founded the Proud Boys, citing the threat of escalating violence as hundreds of protesters and supporters amassed on campus, the university said in a statement.

At UC Davis, the groups fought among themselves, used pepper spray, knocked over barricades and removed traffic cones, UC Davis said. The university didn't report any injuries.

“Some in the crowd used barricades to beat on the glass of the (off-campus) UC Davis Conference Center, where about 30 people were inside waiting for the event to begin,” it said.

Student Affairs staff who were on site determined there was grave danger should the event continue and the student organization agreed to cancel the event out of concern for people’s safety, it said.

“It is unfortunate that the event could not proceed as planned,” UC Davis said. “As a public institution, UC Davis values and supports freedom of expression as rights guaranteed to every citizen.”

In 2017, the University of California, Berkeley, canceled events featuring conservative speakers, including right-wing provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos and conservative commentator Ann Coulter, after clashes in which protesters set fires, smashed windows and hurled explosives ahead of the planned speeches.

UC Berkeley’s reputation as a liberal bastion and the birthplace of the 1960s Free Speech Movement made its campus and the city of Berkeley a rallying point for extremist groups from the left- and right-wing after President Donald Trump’s election.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Re: (Thursday PO) Conservative speaker event at UC Davis canceled after brawl

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:12 am

There isn't a lot of good information on this story, but since I'm not far from UCD and @Mr. Buh The Watchful graduated from there, I thought it was worth bring up.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:05 am

'The United States has less than a month's supply of diesel fuel in its stockpiles, the lowest level in roughly 14 years heading into the winter months.

U.S. Energy Data released last week shows that the country has 25.4 days of diesel fuel in its stockpile. Levels of diesel fuel, used for heating, farming and trucking, have not been this low since spring 2008.

The Biden administration is particularly concerned about the diesel inventory heading into winter and ahead of the November midterms.

National Economic Council Director Brian Deese on Wednesday said diesel inventories are "unacceptably low" and "all options are on the table" for the administration to increase supplies and reduce prices, Bloomberg reported'
By Madeleine Hubbard

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:52 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:05 am
'The United States has less than a month's supply of diesel fuel in its stockpiles, the lowest level in roughly 14 years heading into the winter months.
This illustrates my point perfectly. Bush was president 14 years ago. He used the oil reserve very similarly to what Biden is doing now. We recovered. It is risky for sure, but it isn't certain death or anything close to. I do find it amusing to watch both parties flip flop like this based on who's in office.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:35 pm

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:52 pm
Slip Shod wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:05 am
This illustrates my point perfectly. Bush was president 14 years ago. He used the oil reserve very similarly to what Biden is doing now. We recovered. It is risky for sure, but it isn't certain death or anything close to. I do find it amusing to watch both parties flip flop like this based on who's in office.
Thanks for your reply, appreciate, but unlike Bush this somewhat precarious position in the country is a now.. the railroad may very well be going on strike as the guy in the video was talking about. The railroad is so much more efficient with the diesel they're using then the semi trucks. And all that freight will be turning to the trucking industry. It's a ricochet effect putting even a greater demand on the reserve.
And diesel prices affect the farming & farming the food prices & higher prices for shipping. It's like a dark day in dominoes falling.
This situation falls directly on the shoulders of this administration's attitude towards fossil fuel production. Sunbeams and breezes are not, not the answer. I'm talking about this clean alternative energy mindset - perhaps sometime in the future, but it's crazy for now

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:23 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:35 pm
Thanks for your reply, appreciate, but unlike Bush this somewhat precarious position in the country is a now.
It was a different situation but no less precarious. We were in the middle of fight two wars at the time and the countries housing had just completely collapsed.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:27 pm

Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:23 pm
Slip Shod wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:35 pm
Thanks for your reply, appreciate, but unlike Bush this somewhat precarious position in the country is a now.
It was a different situation but no less precarious. We were in the middle of fight two wars at the time and the countries housing had just completely collapsed.
Thx, would have liked to have seen you address also something of this administration's handling of fossil fuel production. If we have one of the world's greatest resources of oil and could be an exporter, having more than enough for our own needs, why beg Saudi Arabia to increase production why go looking to Venezuela to buy their oil ?
And how were our own reserves ending up in China?
You gave a minimal response to the whole of what I was saying.
47262137_0.jpg

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:03 am

Slip Shod wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:27 pm
would have liked to have seen you address also something of this administration's handling of fossil fuel production.
That's a tough one. Part of what makes our country so great is the natural beauty, so a balance needs to be struck between preserving that meeting our energy needs. At the same time fossil fuels are a limited resource, and the flow of it is largely controlled by other countries. That should be reason enough to try to minimize our dependence on them. The problem that I have is that I've seen no workable play to do so that doesn't include nuclear energy, but because it's unpopular to say no one talks about including it. Instead they pretend solar and wind will be enough. Which isn't likely without giving up massive land area to these technologies and energy storage systems.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:11 am

Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:03 am
Slip Shod wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:27 pm
would have liked to have seen you address also something of this administration's handling of fossil fuel production.
That's a tough one. Part of what makes our country so great is the natural beauty, so a balance needs to be struck between preserving that meeting our energy needs. At the same time fossil fuels are a limited resource, and the flow of it is largely controlled by other countries. That should be reason enough to try to minimize our dependence on them. The problem that I have is that I've seen no workable play to do so that doesn't include nuclear energy, but because it's unpopular to say no one talks about including it. Instead they pretend solar and wind will be enough. Which isn't likely without giving up massive land area to these technologies and energy storage systems.
'Guide, a worthwhile read ..
Google this interesting article by Investors Business Guide
'Earth Is An Oil-Producing Machine — We're Not Running Out'

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:04 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:11 am
'Earth Is An Oil-Producing Machine — We're Not Running Out
That is true enough. The earth does produce crude oil. The problem isn't that there will never be more. The oil that is of interest to us is only the oil that we can extract. This eliminates the majority of the oil on the planet. What it comes down to is we are using known accessible oil faster than it is being produced.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:40 pm

Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:04 pm
Slip Shod wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:11 am
'Earth Is An Oil-Producing Machine — We're Not Running Out
That is true enough. The earth does produce crude oil. The problem isn't that there will never be more. The oil that is of interest to us is only the oil that we can extract. This eliminates the majority of the oil on the planet. What it comes down to is we are using known accessible oil faster than it is being produced.
Which is my point - it's all about political policy & production development

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:48 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:40 pm
Which is my point - it's all about political policy & production development
I think you misunderstand my point. If we pulled all the oil that we can get out of the ground tomorrow, we'd still only have a couple of decades left. We'd then be counting on new technology to lead us to deeper oil by then. But we have the technology today to get off our dependence on oil now. So the choice is banking on future technology or using existing technology. One can solve the problem today, the other might solve the problem at some point in the future.

This also ignores the power that reliance on oil gives to OPEC. Which is run by a group of countries that are very much not aligned to our ideals.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:04 pm

Coming at you Guide
Tapping Google info*
'Volume of knowledge is doubling every 12 hours' - just take a moment and think about that.

So with TODAY's knowledge we have enough oil to get us to about 2070 (mind you knowledge is doubling currently every 12 hours). So your position is one motivated by fear.
Who knows how much more oil will be discovered in the next 10 years. Who knows what discoveries will come about in the next 15 years let alone by 2070.
Knowledge doubled every 12 hrs, that's too much to imagine.
I can't accept living a life based on fear thinking I'll screw myself today and do without based on fear. That sucks

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:29 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:04 pm
So with TODAY's knowledge we have enough oil to get us to about 2070
That's with oil we are aware of, not oil we can extract. That is a huge difference.
Slip Shod wrote:
I can't accept living a life based on fear thinking I'll screw myself today and do without based on fear.
It isn't about fear at all. It's about logic.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:53 pm

Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:29 pm
Slip Shod wrote:
So with TODAY's knowledge we have enough oil to get us to about 2070
That's with oil we are aware of, not oil we can extract. That is a huge difference.
Slip Shod wrote:
I can't accept living a life based on fear thinking I'll screw myself today and do without based on fear.
It isn't about fear at all. It's about logic.
The foundation of the universe isn't gravitational, they've thrown that theory out years ago and understand it's a an electromagnetic universe. That boils down to electricity, POWER, & and there are brighter minds than ours theorizing how to harness this power that is all around us.
For right now we do have oil and for right now I say go for it and utilize it to the max. To do otherwise it's foolishness - we've got it and this administration is sitting on it

Cat's Paw

Post by Cat's Paw » Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:42 pm

Of course tap into oil reserve.
We are in the midst of wwiii.
This is what the oil reserve is for.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:23 pm

Cat's Paw wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:42 pm
We are in the midst of wwiii.
That's more than a little hyperbolic. One might argue we are on the verge of WWIII. The risk is clear, but two countries at war with each other does not a world war make.

Cat's Paw

Post by Cat's Paw » Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:57 am

Hyperbola?

There are two people using your channel.
I'm just checking up on poor Zangie. Is she fed up yet?

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:10 am

Cat's Paw wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:57 am
There are two people using your channel.
ROFLMAO

Cat's Paw

Post by Cat's Paw » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:44 pm

I don't see any activity.

In the neighborhood
Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:05 pm

Cat's Paw wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:44 pm
Yeah, it's pretty dead. Two of us have new jobs that take up all our time, and Zangie has been busy lately.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:09 pm

Cat's Paw wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:44 pm
Hi Cat's PAw, yeah, there arent many of us left...I have just been swamped at work and personally and I also am temporarily out of ideas for NO PO's...lol

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:05 am

😯👀

Karloszxe

Where is Administration awkwardarguments.com ??

Post by Karloszxe » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:36 am

Where is moderator??
It is important.
Regards.

Z is for Zangie

Re: Where is Administration awkwardarguments.com ??

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:45 am

Karloszxe wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:36 am
Where is moderator??
It is important.
Regards.
I am not here 24/7
What did you need