(Friday PO) A special counsel will probe government documents at Biden's home and private office

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

GuideToACrazyWorld

(Friday PO) A special counsel will probe government documents at Biden's home and private office

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:25 am

https://www.npr.org/2023/01/12/11484250 ... robert-hur
Attorney General Merrick Garland has appointed a special counsel to investigate how classified documents came to be located at President Biden's Delaware residence and a think tank office in Washington he used for about three years.

Garland named former Justice Department official Robert Hur to conduct the high-profile inquiry after the White House confirmed that Biden's private attorneys found "a small number" of materials with classified markings both in storage in Biden's Wilmington, Del., garage and in an adjacent room as well as in a locked closet at the Penn Biden Center in Washington, D.C. The attorneys said in both cases they turned over the Obama-Biden administration-era records to the National Archives.

The Justice Department said Hur is assigned to probe "possible unauthorized removal and retention of classified documents or other records."

Hur released a statement promising to handle the probe "with fair, impartial, and dispassionate judgment." He said, "I intend to follow the facts swiftly and thoroughly, without fear or favor, and will honor the trust placed in me to perform this service."
Sponsor Message

Biden's counsel Richard Sauber said the president will cooperate fully with the special counsel.

"We are confident that a thorough review will show that these documents were inadvertently misplaced, and the president and his lawyers acted promptly upon discovery of this mistake," Sauber said in a statement.
A second special counsel

The move marks the second time the Justice Department has handed a politically sensitive probe to a quasi-independent lawyer in as many months. Last November, former war crimes prosecutor Jack Smith took control of the investigation into mishandling of government secrets and obstruction involving scores of documents the FBI seized at former President Donald Trump's Florida resort, Mar-a-Lago. Smith will also lead the probe of certain "key aspects" of the Jan. 6 insurrection, including portions that could reach into Trump's inner circle.

Trump demanded Thursday that the special counsel investigation of his case be ended.
Biden's lawyer says additional classified documents found, GOP calls for new probes
Politics
Biden's lawyer says additional classified documents have been found in Delaware

Biden told reporters at a news conference in Mexico this week that he wasn't sure what was in the materials found at the Penn Biden Center. "People know I take classified documents and classified information seriously," Biden said.

Republicans, newly empowered in the U.S. House of Representatives, immediately seized on the issue. Rep. James Comer, R-Ky., the chairman of the House Oversight panel, wrote the White House and the Archives insisting that Biden receive equal treatment under the law. "The Committee is concerned that President Biden has compromised sources and methods with his own mishandling of classified documents," Comer wrote.
DOJ names Jack Smith as special counsel to oversee Trump criminal investigations
Law
DOJ names Jack Smith as special counsel to oversee Trump criminal investigations

Justice Department regulations call for the appointment of special counsels when an investigation would present "a conflict of interest ... or other extraordinary circumstances." In the Mar-a-Lago case, Garland told reporters that Trump's 2024 presidential bid and Biden's expected decision to seek reelection helped convince him to call in an outsider.

Justice Department officials said the appointment of a special counsel in the Biden matter was likewise required under federal regulations. Garland said the appointment "underscores" DOJ's committment to accountability in "particularly sensitive matters."
Sponsor Message

Special counsels aren't under day-to-day supervision but they're required to explain their actions to the attorney general, who has the power to overrule the counsel but must notify Congress when that happens.

Chicago U.S. Attorney John Lausch, who was appointed during the Trump administration, and who's remained on the job into the Biden term, had been conducting an initial review of the Biden documents matter. He is planning to leave government service for the private sector this year, and thus couldn't continue work on the Biden documents.
Who is Robert Hur?

Most recently Hur has been in private law practice in Washington. He served as U.S. Attorney in Maryland from 2018 to 2021.

His positions at the Justice Department also included assistant U.S. Attorney in Maryland from 2007 to 2014 and principal associate deputy attorney general from 2017 to 2018.

Earlier in his career, Hur was a clerk for Chief Justice William Rehnquist and later counsel to then-Assistant Attorney General Christopher Wray.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Re: (Friday PO) A special counsel will probe government documents at Biden's home and private office

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:26 am

100% the right move. I meant to say that it needed to happen earlier but got distracted by work. How rude work!

Tarmaque

Re: (Friday PO) A special counsel will probe government documents at Biden's home and private office

Post by Tarmaque » Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:11 am

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:26 am
100% the right move. I meant to say that it needed to happen earlier but got distracted by work. How rude work!
I agree, and don't feel the need to add anything. :D

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:11 am

Tarmaque wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:11 am
I agree, and don't feel the need to add anything.
No snarky comment? You have really let me down.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:28 am

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:11 am
No snarky comment? You have really let me down.
My teeth hurt, my job interview this morning went fine, but it turns out it wasn't the job for me (60 hour weeks? No time to take care of Mom? Can't do it.) So I'm fresh out of snark.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:00 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:28 am
My teeth hurt, my job interview this morning went fine, but it turns out it wasn't the job for me (60 hour weeks? No time to take care of Mom? Can't do it.) So I'm fresh out of snark.
I'm sorry to hear that man.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:21 pm

So watching this story unfold, I heard a concerning point. This will now be the third election in a row where at least one candidate (both in this case) has been under investigation of a special counsel. This has gotten absurd. All I can think of is...

I've got them sideshow blues
I want to tame the lions
These center ring rich kids ain't even trying
From college to the big top they take the best positions
While I'm out in this tent with these freaks and musicians
While I'm out in this tent with these freaks and musicians
I'm moaning them sideshow blues
I'm not sure if our politics have gotten more corrupt, if we are becoming more aware or if this is all a result of the tribal nature of our society today. No matter the cause, it doesn't feel like we are heading in a good direction.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:12 pm

Guide :"I'm not sure if our politics have gotten more corrupt, if we are becoming more aware .."
-
Yep, I agree with that ✔️ - so many sources now besides 3 channel TV. The old old days