( Tuesday NO PO) Nat'l Classy Day, Natl bootleggers Day & National Hot Buttered Rum Day

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

In the neighborhood
Z is for Zangie

( Tuesday NO PO) Nat'l Classy Day, Natl bootleggers Day & National Hot Buttered Rum Day

Post by Z is for Zangie » Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:43 am

Betty White seems like a good person to use for classy...I try to stay classy ( mostly), though I can also be subversive and use flirty innuendo, I try to keep that classy too...lol...Are there still bootleggers? I know there are people who make their own alcohol, which I guess is illegal federally if not statewide, but not sure why they need to do that. I have never had Hot Buttered Rum, but looking up the ingredients, I like everything in it, and the possible tastes, think I would like it.
classyday.jpf.jpg
classyday.jpf.jpg (7.83 KiB) Viewed 860 times
botleggersday.jpg
botleggersday.jpg (13.12 KiB) Viewed 860 times
hotbutteredrumday.jpg
hotbutteredrumday.jpg (10.58 KiB) Viewed 860 times

GuideToACrazyWorld

Re: ( Tuesday NO PO) Nat'l Classy Day, Natl bootleggers Day & National Hot Buttered Rum Day

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:15 pm

There are still bootleggers. They had a show about for a bit. I caught it a couple times. They build fairly elaborate operation out in the woods surrounded by traps. My understanding is they are few and far between today and being replaced by pot farmers.

Tarmaque

Re: ( Tuesday NO PO) Nat'l Classy Day, Natl bootleggers Day & National Hot Buttered Rum Day

Post by Tarmaque » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:21 pm

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:15 pm
There are still bootleggers. They had a show about for a bit. I caught it a couple times. They build fairly elaborate operation out in the woods surrounded by traps. My understanding is they are few and far between today and being replaced by pot farmers.
Yeah, back in the day (80's) there were certain roads up in the mountains surrounding Vancouver that you simply shouldn't drive down. Part of it was boobytraps, but more importantly the guys growing the weed would shoot at you. That's all but disappeared due to legalization.

In the neighborhood
Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:36 pm

Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:15 pm
Ha, when I told my boss about it being bootleggers day and asked the same question, he also mentioned that show and that he had seen a few

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:18 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:21 pm
Yeah, back in the day (80's) there were certain roads up in the mountains surrounding Vancouver that you simply shouldn't drive down.
I used to live up in mountains. There is an area up there called "Jupiter" when I was looking at places, I found it was much cheaper. I mentioned it to a couple of locals, and they laughed. Turns out only power is on generator, running water means it's near a stream and there are two major professions, farmer or chemist. So, I didn't go with any of those places.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:30 am

Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:18 pm
I used to live up in mountains. ...there are two major professions, farmer or chemist.
There's a lot less of that kind of thing around here these days. For one thing, the forest service has trenched and burmed most of the auxiliary roads, and any road that's being actively logged is generally gated. All the Weyerhaeuser and Longview Fiber land has long been gated too, and hunters now have to pay a fee for one of a limited amount of keys. Most of the good hunting is bought up by hunting clubs these days. The rest of the "wilderness" is being encroached upon by rich people who build insane houses out in the sticks. Some of them live in them, 2 hours from their job in Portland, and some of them are only there on weekends playing "Green Acres!" at high volume.

A friend of mine bought one that was a rich guy's "summer cabin" that he got bored with. What I would call a "big" house but was probably the rich guy's idea of "small." On 10-12 acres of timber with a pretty big stream running through it and a park-like picnic area by the stream you can't even see from the house. The picnic area has a large covered dining area complete with barbecue, electricity, and has enough manicured lawn around it for at least two volleyball courts. I don't know what he paid for the place, but he's set for life with both a military pension and a US Postal Service pension and he runs two trucks. He's just finishing up on building a very nice shop so he can wrench on his classic cars in comfort when it snows. 40x60 if I remember correctly. All about 16 miles south-west of Mount Saint Helens.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:12 am

Tarmaque wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:30 am
There's a lot less of that kind of thing around here these days.
This was 20 years ago.