( Monday NO PO) National Croissant Day & National Bubble Wrap Day

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

( Monday NO PO) National Croissant Day & National Bubble Wrap Day

Post by Z is for Zangie » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:33 am

I love croissants, but, rarely get them, unless it is at a breakfast bar or something. Bubble wrap is great for packing, but, what is so soothing or fun about popping those bubbles?...lol
crossiantday.jpg
crossiantday.jpg (14 KiB) Viewed 549 times
bubblewarpday.jpg
bubblewarpday.jpg (8.69 KiB) Viewed 549 times

Tarmaque

Re: ( Monday NO PO) National Croissant Day & National Bubble Wrap Day

Post by Tarmaque » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:47 am

./sigh
I miss croissants.

Mysterious Cat

Post by Mysterious Cat » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:00 am

The local supermarkets here only seem to sell croissants in industrial size containers. They might be good but I don't really need ten of them at one time. There are some French bakeries around but none within easy driving distance, so for me to go to one would involve a special trip. There is however a place called Paris Baguette that just opened by the Wegmans I go to. It seems to be a national chain but other than that I don't know anything about them. Interestingly enough I have been thinking that I might visit Quebec this summer. That's farther away then any of the local French bakeries, but I've never been there and I'm not getting younger, so I guess the time is now. If I do go I will be sure to have a croissant and coffee, and perhaps I will wear a beret and one of those black and white striped t-shirts if I decide to go deep cover.

AP apologises and deletes widely mocked tweet about ‘the French’

"The organisation tweeted advice not to use generic labels for groups of people who share a single common trait, giving as examples the poor, the mentally ill and the college-educated. It also included grouping together everyone from the European nation under the same banner.

“We did not intend to offend. Writing French people, French citizens, etc., is good. But ‘the’ terms for any people can sound dehumanizing and imply a monolith rather than diverse individuals,” the organisation said on its AP Stylebook Twitter account."

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/ ... the-french

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:05 am

Mysterious Cat wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:00 am
The local supermarkets here only seem to sell croissants in industrial size containers. They might be good but I don't really need ten of them at one time. There are some French bakeries around but none within easy driving distance, so for me to go to one would involve a special trip. There is however a place called Paris Baguette that just opened by the Wegmans I go to. It seems to be a national chain but other than that I don't know anything about them. Interestingly enough I have been thinking that I might visit Quebec this summer. That's farther away then any of the local French bakeries, but I've never been there and I'm not getting younger, so I guess the time is now. If I do go I will be sure to have a croissant and coffee, and perhaps I will wear a beret and one of those black and white striped t-shirts if I decide to go deep cover.

AP apologises and deletes widely mocked tweet about ‘the French’

"The organisation tweeted advice not to use generic labels for groups of people who share a single common trait, giving as examples the poor, the mentally ill and the college-educated. It also included grouping together everyone from the European nation under the same banner.

“We did not intend to offend. Writing French people, French citizens, etc., is good. But ‘the’ terms for any people can sound dehumanizing and imply a monolith rather than diverse individuals,” the organisation said on its AP Stylebook Twitter account."

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/ ... the-french
Now I have a mental pic of you in a beret and black and white striped shirt...lol... Missed my chance to go to Paris in HS, when my parents wouldn't let me go...sigh ..(my French club was going)...but, I did have a French pen pal, and Quebec would be closer and cool to visit.