(wednesday PO) Exxon announced record earnings. It's bound to renew scrutiny of Big Oil

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

GuideToACrazyWorld

(wednesday PO) Exxon announced record earnings. It's bound to renew scrutiny of Big Oil

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:32 am

ExxonMobil earned nearly $56 billion in profit in 2022, setting an annual record not just for itself but for any U.S. or European oil giant.

Buoyed by high oil prices, rival Chevron also clocked $35 billion in profits for the year, despite a disappointing fourth quarter.

Energy companies have been reporting blockbuster profits since last year, after Russia's invasion of Ukraine sent oil prices sharply higher.
Hold That Drill: Why Wall Street Wants Energy Companies To Pump Less Oil, Not More
Energy
Hold That Drill: Why Wall Street Wants Energy Companies To Pump Less Oil, Not More

"Of course, our results clearly benefited from a favorable market," CEO Darren Woods told analysts, nodding to high crude prices for much of 2022.

But he also gave his company credit for being able to take advantage of those prices. "We leaned in when others leaned out," he said.
'More money than God'https://awkwardarguments.com/index.php

The high profits have also revived perennial conversations about how much profit is too much profit for an oil company — especially as urgency over the need to slow climate change is mounting around the world.

Exxon's blockbuster earnings, announced Monday, will likely lead to more political pressure from the White House. Last year President Biden called out Exxon for making "more money than God."
Sponsor Message

The White House and Democrats accuse oil companies of hoarding their profits to enrich shareholders, including executives and employees, instead of investing the money in more production to ease prices at the gas pump.

Last year, between dividends and share buybacks, Exxon returned $30 million to shareholders, while Chevron paid out more than $22 billion. Exxon plans to hold production flat in 2023, while Chevron plans to increase production by 0 to 3%.
Monster profits are back

If you do the math, Exxon made some $6.3 million in profit every hour last year — more than $100,000 every minute. That puts Exxon up with the Apples and the Googles of the world, with the kind of extraordinary profits most companies could never dream of earning.

Or rather, it puts Exxon back up in that rarefied territory. Exxon used to be the largest company in the world, reliably clocking enormous profits.
ExxonMobil CEO Darren Woods speaks during a press conference in Doha, Qatar, on June 21, 2022. Exxon is facing political heat from the White House, which wants Big Oil to use their profits to increase production further.
Karim Jaafar/AFP via Getty Images

In 2020, when the pandemic triggered a crash in oil prices, energy companies took huge losses. Exxon recorded an annual loss of $22 billion, its first loss in decades. It was, humiliatingly, dropped from the Dow Jones.

A tiny upstart investor group called Engine No. 1 challenged Exxon's management, accusing the company of not moving fast enough to adjust to a world preparing to reduce its use of oil.
Sponsor Message

In this David vs. Goliath showdown, David won the battle, with Engine No. 1's nominees replacing three Exxon board members. But Goliath isn't going anywhere.
Profits prompt scrutiny, criticism

Whenever oil companies are thriving, suspicions that they are fundamentally profiteering are not far behind.

Those accusations have become especially charged because Russia's invasion of Ukraine were central to the drive-up in crude oil prices last year. Europe has imposed windfall taxes on energy companies, clawing back 33% of "surplus profits" from oil and gas companies to redistribute to households.

Exxon has sued to block that tax, which it estimates would cost around $1.8 billion for 2022.

President Biden delivers remarks on energy as Secretary of Energy Jennifer Granholm listens during an event in the Roosevelt Room of the White House in Washington, D.C., on Oct. 19, 2022. Biden has threatened oil companies with a "higher tax on their excess profits" and other restrictions if they don't invest their windfall earnings in more production.
Alex Wong/Getty Images

Meanwhile, in the U.S., California is considering a similar windfall tax. President Biden has threatened oil companies with a "higher tax on their excess profits" and other restrictions if they don't invest their windfall earnings in more production. But it's unclear whether the administration can follow through on such a threat.

On Tuesday, the White House issued a statement excoriating oil companies for "choosing to plow those profits into padding the pockets of executives and shareholders."

Investors, meanwhile, aren't complaining. They continue to pressure companies to return more profits to investors and spend relatively less of it on drilling.
A Tiny Fund Has Scored A Historic Win Against ExxonMobil Over The Future Of Oil
Business
A Tiny Fund Has Scored A Historic Win Against ExxonMobil Over The Future Of Oil
"Lower-carbon" ambitions

Both Exxon and Chevron emphasized their carbon footprints in their earnings calls, a major shift from the not-so-distant past, when oil companies uniformly denied, minimized or ignored climate change when talking to investors.

But their responses to climate change focus on reducing the emissions from oil wells and pipelines, or making investments in "lower-carbon" technologies like hydrogen and carbon capture — not on a rapid transition away from fossil fuels, as climate advocates say is essential.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Re: (wednesday PO) Exxon announced record earnings. It's bound to renew scrutiny of Big Oil

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:40 am

This is an interesting three minutes. I have a few takeaways.

1. I'd be interested to see how this profits relate as a ratio of expenses compared to past year. This is how most companies price their products and it's natural that as everything is more expensive they'd make more in raw numbers. I wonder if the profit margins have gone up. If they have that would be very concerning.

2. I love the point that almost everyone with a retirement account has some money in oil. This made me wish I had more money in oil. My portfolio has been decimated over the last couple of years. This is fine, I'm playing the long game. I had to update my end of the year information and I almost threw up. I'm down in all my accounts as a total numbers, while contributing more to them over the last year. I'm not even going to calculate my real losess.

3. Finally the environmental angle. The fastest path to become carbon neutral is nuclear energy. I'm always amazed when people who are so afraid of climate change are even more afraid of the solution.

4. The post is all messed up today. I'm not fixing it. I'm lazy.

Tarmaque

Re: (wednesday PO) Exxon announced record earnings. It's bound to renew scrutiny of Big Oil

Post by Tarmaque » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:36 am

Here's the unsatisfying truth of the matter. The price of production didn't go up, but the scarcity caused by shutting down refineries caused prices to go up. Higher prices means higher profits when the price of production stays the same. Actual consumption in the US didn't in fact change much post-pandemic. People still have to go to work, and trucks still gotta roll. Did you see a single gas station closed due to being out of fuel? No.

The lack of fuel was in some respects artificial. It wasn't that there was no fuel to be had, but that we were dipping into reserves (not the Strategic reserve, which is a different issue¹) in the short term. If all the refineries in the nation shut down tomorrow we'd still be able to run on reserves for a while. How long is beyond my knowledge, but I can tell from the fact that there were no service stations shut down that the scarcity wasn't really that bad. However suppliers started raising prices based on the fact they were dipping into reserves. That's what caused the price at the pump to shoot up, and the profits to the suppliers to increase. Where did that money go? Into the pockets of the fuel producers. Hence higher profits.

Is this justifiable? Probably not. However it is basic economics.

¹ Biden releasing the Strategic Petroleum Reserve likely had very little to do with the price of fuel at the pump. The real reason for the increase was primarily due to the shutting down of a bunch of refineries during the pandemic when demand was low. When you shut down a refinery it takes a while to get it back going again, which is why we had that period of low supply where they were dipping into their reserves. Everybody knew things would get back to normal after a few months, but it was sort of an open secret.

But here's the thing. Biden released the Strategic Petroleum Reserve which did two great things: On the one hand, he and his advisors knew that prices would be coming down as soon as the refineries came back on line, so the timing was right to make it look like he did something for prices at the pump. In fact that probably had little or nothing to do with it. A drop in the bucket, so to speak. But politically it made him look good.

However the more important thing it did is the government sold off this crude when the prices where still high. It had to be replaced though, because it is a strategic reserve. You know what they did? They bought it back when the prices were low. Hence the government made money on the deal. Double bonus.
(At least this is how it was explained on one podcast I listen to. I'm somewhat dubious since it was my understanding that the SPR was not actually oil in barrels, but wells with known production that weren't currently pumping but could be quickly activated. But I could be wrong. What do I look like, and expert? Leave me alone. AAAA! AAAA!)

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:37 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:36 am
Here's the unsatisfying truth of the matter. The price of production didn't go up, but the scarcity caused by shutting down refineries caused prices to go up.
I'm not sure I'm following here. Scarcity caused the price of crude oil to go up, which is a major part of production costs. Not to mention the cost of refineries not producing further increased overhead on a per-gallon basis. It's unclear exactly how much, and I would be surprised if there was gouging going on as well. It's just unclear to me from the data I have. Am I missunderstanding your point here?
Tarmaque wrote:
The lack of fuel was in some respects artificial. It wasn't that there was no fuel to be had, but that we were dipping into reserves (not the Strategic reserve, which is a different issue¹) in the short term. If all the refineries in the nation shut down tomorrow we'd still be able to run on reserves for a while.
I thought the reserves were crude oil, not refined gas. Am I mistaken or did you really mean if all drilling stopped?
Tarmaque wrote:
Is this justifiable? Probably not. However it is basic economics.
That it is. But you make a much more interesting point here. Are the natural laws of economics justifiable? Is anything naturally justifiable? I guess that depends on the kind of justification you are looking for. Sometimes all the justification we get is, that is the way it is. If what one wants from justification is fairness... life just isn't fair. The best thing we can do is work to minimize the need for melange in our lives. This would resolve multiple issues, also probably crash the dollar back down to it's realistic value. Which is the real reason we won't really work to remove the need for oil.

Tarmaque wrote:
¹ Biden releasing the Strategic Petroleum Reserve likely had very little to do with the price of fuel at the pump. The real reason for the increase was primarily due to the shutting down of a bunch of refineries during the pandemic when demand was low. When you shut down a refinery it takes a while to get it back going again, which is why we had that period of low supply where they were dipping into their reserves. Everybody knew things would get back to normal after a few months, but it was sort of an open secret.
Biden was pretty late to releasing reserves too. At that point, supply had started to equalize without Russian oil. While you are correct about the refineries, that is one factor. If you are arguing it was a bigger factor then the availability of crude oil, you could be right. I'm not really sure. It would require more research then I'm inclined to do on this issue. Unless that issue is rereading the Dune series. I really should do that.

Tarmaque wrote:
so the timing was right to make it look like he did something for prices at the pump. In fact that probably had little or nothing to do with it. A drop in the bucket, so to speak. But politically, it made him look good.

That is an interesting point. And it would be a good explanation of why it took so long to release the preservers.
Tarmaque wrote:
However the more important thing it did is the government sold off this crude when the prices where still high. It had to be replaced though, because it is a strategic reserve. You know what they did? They bought it back when the prices were low. Hence the government made money on the deal. Double bonus. (At least this is how it was explained on one podcast I listen to. I'm somewhat dubious since it was my understanding that the SPR was not actually oil in barrels, but wells with known production that weren't currently pumping but could be quickly activated. But I could be wrong. What do I look like, and expert? Leave me alone. AAAA! AAAA!)
You obviously know more then I do about the subject. Therefore you are an expert.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:02 pm

They're finding Biden classified material all over the place, what a bungling mess on him. You can't convince me they're handling this different than the Trump case. So don't tell me justice is is equally applied - pure b*******

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:31 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:02 pm
They're finding Biden classified material all over the place, what a bungling mess on him. You can't convince me they're handling this different than the Trump case. So don't tell me justice is is equally applied - pure b*******
The only difference I've seen in handling is that Trump forced the DOJ to get a warrant to look for documents while Biden cooperated with the investigation. Other than that, a special prosecutor has been assigned to each case and they are being investigated. Beyond that, no action has been taken in either case. I do not understand where you see the difference.

Perhaps I should ask who you mean by "they're". The media? The investigators? The DOJ?

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:02 am

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:37 pm
You obviously know more then I do about the subject. Therefore you are an expert.
You can't put this on me! I'm going to go live on an island somewhere. I'll build a castle on it, with a moat. Filled with crocodiles and piranha. I'll lock the gate and throw the key to the crocodiles. Then live in the dungeon.

Do you think I could pipe WiFi to the dungeon? Maybe run some Ethernet up to the keep and put a Starlink system up there? Solar powered?

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:31 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:02 am
Filled with crocodiles and piranha.
Here is how much of a geek I am. As I'm reading this the only thing I can think of is that there has never been a credible case in which piranha have killed a person. Because that's the point too far for me in this joke fantasy. Yes, I'm that messed up.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:33 pm

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:31 pm
Here is how much of a geek I am. As I'm reading this the only thing I can think of is that there has never been a credible case in which piranha have killed a person. Because that's the point too far for me in this joke fantasy. Yes, I'm that messed up.
The piranha are to keep the crocodile population in check.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:30 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:33 pm
The piranha are to keep the crocodile population in check.
That tracks