(Monday PO) Biden had skin cancer removed from chest during his physical, White House says

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

GuideToACrazyWorld

(Monday PO) Biden had skin cancer removed from chest during his physical, White House says

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:13 am

https://www.npr.org/2023/03/03/11610492 ... kin-cancer
The results from a biopsy done on a skin lesion removed from President Biden's chest last month confirmed that the growth was basal cell carcinoma – a type of skin cancer that does not tend to spread — White House physician Kevin O'Connor said in a memo on Friday.

"All cancerous tissue was successfully removed," O'Connor said in his memo, noting that the area around the biopsy site had been treated at the time of Biden's physical, meaning that no further treatment is required. He said the biopsy site had "healed nicely."
Biden gets a clean bill of health as he mulls a 2024 run — where his age is a concern
Politics
Biden gets a clean bill of health as he mulls a 2024 run — where his age is a concern

O'Connor said basal cell carcinoma does not metastasize, making it is a "less serious" type of skin cancer than melanoma or squamous cell carcinoma. But basal cell carcinoma can increase in size, making it harder to remove, he said.

First lady Jill Biden also had two lesions removed early this year that were confirmed to be basal cell carcinoma.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Re: (Monday PO) Biden had skin cancer removed from chest during his physical, White House says

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:14 am

Nothing interesting to post tonight.

Tarmaque

Re: (Monday PO) Biden had skin cancer removed from chest during his physical, White House says

Post by Tarmaque » Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:55 am

My Dad had bunches of those things removed over the years. It makes me nervous, but doesn't really frighten me.

Of course he eventually died of lymphoma which scares me a little bit. That said, if he'd gone to the doctor when he had egg size tumors in his neck and groin they probably could have treated him. Instead he waited until the ones in his neck were so big they were causing him breathing problems. I call it "suicide through fear of dying." He never would take care of himself because he was always so scared to learn he might be sick.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:12 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:55 am
Of course he eventually died of lymphoma which scares me a little bit. That said, if he'd gone to the doctor when he had egg size tumors in his neck and groin they probably could have treated him. Instead he waited until the ones in his neck were so big they were causing him breathing problems. I call it "suicide through fear of dying." He never would take care of himself because he was always so scared to learn he might be sick.
I'm really sorry you went through that.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:42 pm

13 minutes, small documentary I found very interesting concerning a small country in Europe, the Netherlands, and how much power on the world stage they really wield.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:01 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:42 pm
13 minutes, small documentary I found very interesting concerning a small country in Europe, the Netherlands, and how much power on the world stage they really wield.
I so knew this was going to be about ASML. :lol:

There is a concept in investing that when there is an upcoming industry the best investments aren't the companies you know, but the companies who make their equipment and raw materials. You see if you pick the public facing company you have the pick the right one, the one who grows the largest, but the suppliers make money no matter who wins.

BTW I also highly suspect this is the real reason China wants to invade Taiwan. ASML has a major infrastructure in Tiwan. They might not be able to buy new equipment, but they could reverse engineer the technology.