( Monday NO PO) Today is Napping Day, Jewel Day, Coconut Torte Day

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

( Monday NO PO) Today is Napping Day, Jewel Day, Coconut Torte Day

Post by Z is for Zangie » Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:13 am

I wish every day was a napping day...lol...I made fun of my mom for taking naps when I was younger, not I get it...lol...even 20 minutes seems to help and I am good to go again... because around 3-4 pm I get suddenly tired...lol...I love "bling", especially the real stuff, as in jewels, I like Opals because they are my birthstone, Emeralds, and Rubies because red and green are my favorite colors...and diamonds because they are just so pretty and sparkly...I love coconut, I never had coconut torte, but, I would probably love it.
nappingday.jpg
nappingday.jpg (12.26 KiB) Viewed 742 times
jewelday.jpg
jewelday.jpg (11.65 KiB) Viewed 742 times
coconuttorteday.jpg
coconuttorteday.jpg (12.07 KiB) Viewed 742 times

Tarmaque

Re: ( Monday NO PO) Today is Napping Day, Jewel Day, Coconut Torte Day

Post by Tarmaque » Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:37 am

One should not predicate their lives on such things, but I was extremely pleased with the results of this year's Academy Awards. I didn't watch, but I watched the live feed and some of the speeches. (Jamie Lee Curtis's speech should go down as an example of the best of Oscar speeches.) On the whole I agreed with all the winners, even in the cases where there were multiple fantastic performances to choose from. Particularly in the Supporting Actress category. I'm super happy for Michelle Yeoh, but even more so for Brendan Fraser and Ke Huy Quan.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:15 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:37 am
I was extremely pleased with the results of this year's Academy Awards.
I haven't seen many of the movies this year, so I can't have an opinion really. I don't get to see many movies that don't include talking animals these days. I did watch Licorice Pizza over the weekend. Based on the description it's something I would have skipped, but someone who I trust recommended it and then I found out it was Paul Thomas Anderson. Which lead to me watching on the edge of my seat waiting for it to turn over the top dark. Over all I'm glad I watched it.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:25 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:37 am
One should not predicate their lives on such things, but I was extremely pleased with the results of this year's Academy Awards. I didn't watch, but I watched the live feed and some of the speeches. (Jamie Lee Curtis's speech should go down as an example of the best of Oscar speeches.) On the whole I agreed with all the winners, even in the cases where there were multiple fantastic performances to choose from. Particularly in the Supporting Actress category. I'm super happy for Michelle Yeoh, but even more so for Brendan Fraser and Ke Huy Quan.
I have always loved Jaime Lee and Brendan Fraer ( who I think has been undervalued), so very happy for both, I haven't seen any of the nominated movies, but, then I haven't seen any new movies in forever, have a ton of DVD"s I bought to watch and haven't gotten around to them

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:27 pm

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:25 pm
I have always loved Jaime Lee
Again, I haven't seen either of the movies in question. I will say in general I think Angala Basset is a better actress the Jamie Lee Curtis. Curtis is a very good actress, and this isn't meant as a slight in any way. The controversy seems a bit silly, Basset wasn't going to win for a a superhero movie. It just wasn't going to happen. It isn't about nepotism or racism, it's about snobbery. If you didn't know that, you really haven't paid attention to the academy before. All of that is assume Curtis didn't deserve it for this role, which she very well could have, but my point is it didn't matter, Basset never had a real shot.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:29 pm

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:27 pm
Again, I haven't seen either of the movies in question.
Wakanda Forever is a mediocre movie and Angela Bassett is good but not extraordinary. EEAAO is a fantastic movie and Jamie Lee Curtis is in it more and displays more range and versatility. I don't think she's necessarily a better actress, but it was a way better part.

That said, I think after repeated viewings of EEAAO that it was Stephanie Hsu who was robbed. Her part was larger, and she really owned every version of herself. She was fantastic.

But with two best supporting actress nominees in the same movie, someone had to lose. The academy went with the veteran.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:57 am

Tarmaque wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:29 pm
Wakanda Forever is a mediocre movie and Angela Bassett is good but not extraordinary. EEAAO is a fantastic movie and Jamie Lee Curtis is in it more and displays more range and versatility. I don't think she's necessarily a better actress, but it was a way better part.
Very well could be. My point was slightly different. They aren't going to give those kinds of awards to super hero movies no matter how good they are. Everyone I know who has seen Wakanda Forever had the same reactions as you. Which is too bad I was going to watch just for Basset.

I have no doubt that in the right situation Curtis could give an award worthy performance. So, I'm not upset at all based on the information I have. I'll probably see EEAAO at some point. It's way more in my wheelhouse then Wakandda forever.
Tarmaque wrote:
That said, I think after repeated viewings of EEAAO that it was Stephanie Hsu who was robbed. Her part was larger, and she really owned every version of herself. She was fantastic.
I've heard that too. I haven't seen enough Hsu to have any opinion on her in general. It does sound like her part had more emotional range based on what I've heard. But there is a lot of politics involved. Curtis has been killing it for years, and never really had that great role. I Can think of many movies where she was the only thing worth watching in the whole mess.

It reminds me of Robin Williams winning for Good Will Hunting when Greg Kinear gave a far superior performance in As Good As it Gets. It's really hard to argue, but Williams had been passed over before, (Dead Poets Society) and it was a bit like a make up call.

I have a buddy who's uncle worked on China Beach and Chaplin. He knows many members of "The Academy" and can predict the awards with 100% accuracy. He's the one who explained the Williams/Kinear thing to me years ago. This may be very much like that. Where people are thinking Hsu will get her shot later. Kinear never did though.
Tarmaque wrote:
But with two best supporting actress nominees in the same movie, someone had to lose. The academy went with the veteran.
That kind of sums it up doesn't it?

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:06 am

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:57 am
I've heard that too. I haven't seen enough Hsu to have any opinion on her in general. It does sound like her part had more emotional range based on what I've heard.
Stephanie came from the world of Theater, and experimental theater at that. Most of her other acting experience is in television and a few bit parts in movies. She got this roll because "The Daniels" directed an episode of Nora From Queens that she was in, and invited her to audition.