( Saturday NO PO) Today is National Tolkien Reading Day & National Lobster Newburg Day

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

( Saturday NO PO) Today is National Tolkien Reading Day & National Lobster Newburg Day

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:04 am

I have read the Hobbit a couple of times, but, I long time ago. I have read the Trilogy 3 or 4 times, I think, the first time was a long, long, time ago ( and seen the movies at least 10 times...if not more....lol) but more recently. I have tried The Silmarillion like three times I think, and it is just a slog for me, I don't understand it at all...I may try again someday, maybe with some kind of guide about it or what it is about. Or asking people who made it through for hints to disgusting it. The problem is I am having trouble making time to read anything...I have at least 50 books here on my end table I bought and haven't read yet both fiction and nonfiction...I didn't know what Lobster Newburg was( I love lobster but only get the tails, roasted). This was the definition I found: Lobster Newburg is a rich seafood dish that's thickened with egg yolks and cream and spiked with sherry, cognac, or Madeira. According to legend, it originated at Delmonico's Restaurant in New York City in the late 1800s. And it is served over toast. The egg yolks and cream is putting me off here, lol, so not sure I would try it.
tolkien reading.jpg
tolkien reading.jpg (14.83 KiB) Viewed 637 times
lobster newburg.jpg
lobster newburg.jpg (13.63 KiB) Viewed 637 times

GuideToACrazyWorld

Re: ( Saturday NO PO) Today is National Tolkien Reading Day & National Lobster Newburg Day

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:45 am

I love the Hobbit. I find the trilogy hard to get through. People get mad at me for saying it but Tolkien rambles. The depth of his world is both a blessing and a curse at times.

Z is for Zangie

Re: ( Saturday NO PO) Today is National Tolkien Reading Day & National Lobster Newburg Day

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:05 am

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:45 am
I love the Hobbit. I find the trilogy hard to get through. People get mad at me for saying it but Tolkien rambles. The depth of his world is both a blessing and a curse at times.
There are parts of The Two Towers that make me crazy, the trek through the swamp goes on too long, and the overly detailed passages about the geography are kinda tedious...but, I love most of the rest of it...and the appendix gives a lot of information...I will never understand why Frodo goes on the grey ship and took me forever to find out if that was a metaphor for heaven?

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:08 am

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:05 am
There are parts of The Two Towers that make me crazy, the trek through the swamp goes on too long, and the overly detailed passages about the geography are kinda tedious.
I feel the same way about when the Ents go marching. I counted one time. There are 12 pages describing trees walking. It's painful to think about.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:27 am

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:08 am
Z is for Zangie wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:05 am
There are parts of The Two Towers that make me crazy, the trek through the swamp goes on too long, and the overly detailed passages about the geography are kinda tedious.
I feel the same way about when the Ents go marching. I counted one time. There are 12 pages describing trees walking. It's painful to think about.
Yeah, I forgot that ..it's too long also, and I wasn't a fan of and didn't understand Tom Bombdil...Rick loves him and was mad he wasn't in the movie, I was relieved...

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:15 am

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:27 am
I wasn't a fan of and didn't understand Tom Bombdil
I understood Tom and Goldberry, but I also thought it was an unnecessary side-quest. Possibly a way for Tolkien to shoehorn in more of his poetry or flex on his writing abilities. You don't miss that passage any more than the passages about Farmer Maggot that are also frequently omitted in adaptations.

Personally I found Frodo and Sam's journey alone and with Gollum to be some of the most tedious portions, particularly in the swamps but also across the plains of Mordor.

On the whole the novels work very well, but there are some parts that could be better.