( Friday NO PO) Today is Pizza Paty Day, Endangered Species Day & Devil's Food Cake Day

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

( Friday NO PO) Today is Pizza Paty Day, Endangered Species Day & Devil's Food Cake Day

Post by Z is for Zangie » Fri May 19, 2023 2:07 am

Though I didn't like it as a kid/teenager, I have come to like at least some pizzas, Little Ceasers old fashioned pepperoni is good, and so is Angelina's ( local pizza place) veggie pizza with garlic butter sauce. I used to love Papa John's, but there isn't one around me anymore, and there is also another local one that used to have killer pizza, but they don't deliver and I haven't had one in ages...Giovanni's. I worry about endangered species a lot, I used to regularly donate to WWF for one...There is a really cute Salamander that only lives in Mexico City in a specific lake called an axolotl that is soo cute and is very endangered, like from 50- 100 only left, mostly due to human habitat interference, I am so hoping they can save them...and wh doesn't like Devil's Food cake?...lol

Pic of an axolotl: ( they also can regenerate not just their limbs, but their eyes and some nervous system, brain stuff.
istockphoto-1401377395-612x612.jpg
pizza party.jpg
pizza party.jpg (15.64 KiB) Viewed 1751 times
endangered species.jpg
endangered species.jpg (13.03 KiB) Viewed 1751 times
devil's food cake.jpg
devil's food cake.jpg (12.29 KiB) Viewed 1751 times

Tarmaque

Re: ( Friday NO PO) Today is Pizza Paty Day, Endangered Species Day & Devil's Food Cake Day

Post by Tarmaque » Fri May 19, 2023 4:07 am

Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza!

Just call me Toot Toot.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Re: ( Friday NO PO) Today is Pizza Paty Day, Endangered Species Day & Devil's Food Cake Day

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Fri May 19, 2023 3:01 pm

Sounds like a good time to use endangered species as a pizza topping

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Fri May 19, 2023 7:53 pm

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 3:01 pm
We can do better than endangered, how about armadillo instead of pepperoni ?

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sat May 20, 2023 12:10 am

Fri May 19, 2023 3:01 pm
You didn't just go there....lol..( but really, sighing...lol)

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Sat May 20, 2023 1:25 am

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 12:10 am
Bald Eagle would make more sense for thanksgiving...

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sat May 20, 2023 1:28 am

Sat May 20, 2023 1:25 am
Z is for Zangie wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 12:10 am
Bald Eagle would make more sense for thanksgiving...
Well, they are coming back...lol...I finally got to see one up close a few weeks ago, a few hang out outside where I work...they are awesome...

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Sat May 20, 2023 2:54 am

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 1:28 am
Well, they are coming back...lol...I finally got to see one up close a few weeks ago, a few hang out outside where I work...they are awesome...
I've seen a couple over the years, never up close though

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sat May 20, 2023 3:24 am

Sat May 20, 2023 2:54 am
Z is for Zangie wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 1:28 am
I was surprised at how close he came, they fly a lot lower than the hawks do...

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sat May 20, 2023 4:10 am

They're all over the place up here, but they're also kinda migratory. When the fish are running they're all over the rivers, but when there's no fish in they migrate to where the feeding is better. Big suckers when you can see them up close, but not as big as a turkey vulture. Those things are scary big. They're migratory too, and disappear in the winter. Bald eagles nest here, and there are a few of them you can get pretty close to out by the wildlife refuge. There was also a nest in a really tall fir tree across the street from my Parent's house and you could see them all the time. That was right next to "Salmon Creek" and a big marsh. There's always something fishy in there, from carp to catfish to trout to salmon. Not to mention tons of frogs, nutria, rabbits, mice, and beaver. You'd be surprised how much of an eagle's diet is little more than road kill.

I will say driving through the wildlife refuge and coming upon a bald eagle roosting in a tree only 10 feet or so above your car is an experience. Not as scary as having a big ol' barn owl come flying silently up behind you so close the breeze of its passing fluffs your hair, though. Out walking on a path just after sunset.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sat May 20, 2023 5:12 am

Tarmaque wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 4:10 am
They're all over the place up here, but they're also kinda migratory. When the fish are running they're all over the rivers, but when there's no fish in they migrate to where the feeding is better. Big suckers when you can see them up close, but not as big as a turkey vulture. Those things are scary big. They're migratory too, and disappear in the winter. Bald eagles nest here, and there are a few of them you can get pretty close to out by the wildlife refuge. There was also a nest in a really tall fir tree across the street from my Parent's house and you could see them all the time. That was right next to "Salmon Creek" and a big marsh. There's always something fishy in there, from carp to catfish to trout to salmon. Not to mention tons of frogs, nutria, rabbits, mice, and beaver. You'd be surprised how much of an eagle's diet is little more than road kill.

I will say driving through the wildlife refuge and coming upon a bald eagle roosting in a tree only 10 feet or so above your car is an experience. Not as scary as having a big ol' barn owl come flying silently up behind you so close the breeze of its passing fluffs your hair, though. Out walking on a path just after sunset.
We have owls, even snowy ones which are my favorite, I heard them, but, never seen one ( well, except once in a leafless tree in the winter on a branch, but I was on a highway, and going too fast and he was too far away to get a good look.

I read that bald eagles are kinda lazy, ( their words, not mine...lol) they prefer fish to mammals, but prefer rabbits when they do eat mammals, easiest to kill I gather...they are also scavengers..as far as I know, there are no fish-filled waters by my work, so not sure why they are hanging out there, the lake isn't that far away and I had read a lot of them hang out by the lake, there is a famous couple that a cam is on, at the lighthouse I believe...

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sat May 20, 2023 1:51 pm

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 5:12 am
I read that bald eagles are kinda lazy,
Yeah, they are. Kinda mean too. They'll come up on some other smaller bird's kill and scare them away from it so they can have it.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Sat May 20, 2023 7:19 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 1:51 pm
Yeah, they are. Kinda mean too. They'll come up on some other smaller bird's kill and scare them away from it so they can have it.
You say lazy, I say smart

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sat May 20, 2023 10:30 pm

Sat May 20, 2023 7:19 pm
Toe-may-toe, toe-mah-toe.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sat May 20, 2023 10:37 pm

Sat May 20, 2023 7:19 pm
Tarmaque wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 1:51 pm
HA