(Tuesaday PO) Republican Sen. Tim Scott is officially running for president

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

GuideToACrazyWorld

(Tuesaday PO) Republican Sen. Tim Scott is officially running for president

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Tue May 23, 2023 2:04 am

https://www.npr.org/2023/05/22/11775247 ... 4-election
South Carolina Sen. Tim Scott announced his run for the Republican presidential nomination Monday morning in North Charleston, S.C.

The senator, who has represented South Carolina in the Senate since 2013, portrays himself as a true conservative with a positive story to tell.

"We need a president who persuades not just our friends and our base," he told supporters in his hometown. "We have to have a compassion for people who don't agree with us. We have to believe that our ideas are so strong and so powerful and so persuasive that we can actually take it to the highest points in the world and be successful but we also have to be able to take it all the way down to places that today are hopeless and prove that who we are works for all Americans."

As for his own upbringing, being raised by a single mother, Scott says they found strength in faith and family and a determination to succeed — all things he accused Democrats of working to destroy.
Sponsor Message

"From the time the sun goes down until the sun comes up, Joe Biden and the radical left are attacking every single rung of the ladder that helped me climb. And that's why I'm announcing today that I am running for president of the United States of America," he said.

In his 40-minute announcement speech, Scott highlighted his rise from poverty to prosperity and said that America is not a racist country. Scott is the only Black Republican senator in the U.S. Senate.

In defending the founding fathers of this country, Scott told his audience: "We need to stop cancelling our founding fathers and start celebrating them for the geniuses that they were. They weren't perfect, but they believed that we could become a more perfect union."
Despite his stature in the Senate, Scott enters this race with little name recognition nationally

In recent polling he ranks well back in the pack of current and potential candidates, earning support in the low single digits. In contrast, former President Donald Trump's support sometimes tops 40 or even 50 percent.

The first caucuses and primaries are still more than eight months away, so candidates looking to gain on Trump have some time. But in his announcement speech, Scott chose not to even mention Trump or any of his other rivals. He has said American's want to hear from a candidate who expresses a positive and optimistic view of America. Presumably that won't preclude launching political attacks, but there were no such broadsides Monday.
Sponsor Message

Scott also unveiled what will be one of the recurring applause lines in his campaign stump speech. With the focus for now squarely on Biden and the Democrats, he's not shy about entering into the culture war battles that have been so prominent in recent years.

"I will lead a revolution for excellence in our schools. Less C-R-T and more ABCs," adding a pitch for school choice for parents. "No child and no child should be forced to attend failing schools simply because they live in the wrong zip code."
2024 Republican presidential candidates: A list of who is or may be running
Elections
2024 Republican presidential candidates: A list of who is or may be running
He is the second South Carolina Republican to enter the race for the GOP nomination

Scott joins former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley, who declared her candidacy in February. It was Haley who just over a decade ago appointed him to the Senate to fill a vacancy. Both are very popular in their home state, which is a pivotal early voting state for both Republicans and Democrats. The South Carolina primary is the first in the South and often sets a candidate on a path for the nomination. Even so, an April poll by Winthrop University shows both Haley and Scott doing better than they do nationally, but even in South Carolina both still trail Trump by a wide margin.

Scott did pick up one key endorsement as he begins his campaign. Sen. John Thune of South Dakota — the No. 2 Republican in the chamber — is backing his friend and colleague. Thune also appeared at the kickoff rally in North Charleston.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Re: (Tuesaday PO) Republican Sen. Tim Scott is officially running for president

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Tue May 23, 2023 2:04 am

I didn't see that one coming. I like Tim Scott, but I just don't see him having the clout for a presidential run. Maybe he's angling for VP?

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Tue May 23, 2023 5:17 am

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 2:04 am
Maybe he's angling for VP?
He has no chance there. We all know that Von Golfcart is going to pick Marjory Taylor Greene or some other spiritual deplorable. We also know that the current crop of Republican base voters aren't going to vote for any reasonable republican in the primaries. Not even Scott. If Hairgel drops dead tomorrow you know they'll just shift allegiance to the next worst person available. Probably DeSantis, but I'm not going to rule out Nikki Haley. Haley used to scare me, but today I think she's just as dumb as the rest of the modern Republican party. Either that or she drank too much of the koolaid.

Ted Cruz has apparently ruled out a run, but that's never stopped a Republican before. Greg Abbot is still making noises about a run, but without much support. And then there's Mike Pence Bwahahahahahaha! Cough Cough choke sputter snerk.

Of course the big problem is the more candidates the better Two Slices' chances in the primaries. One good, smart opponent and he might get screwed, but a broad section of other candidates and he'll probably win based on his broad support among hillbillies and your weirdo uncle.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Tue May 23, 2023 3:13 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 5:17 am
He has no chance there. We all know that Von Golfcart is going to pick Marjory Taylor Greene or some other spiritual deplorable. We also know that the current crop of Republican base voters aren't going to vote for any reasonable republican in the primaries. Not even Scott. If Hairgel drops dead tomorrow you know they'll just shift allegiance to the next worst person available. Probably DeSantis, but I'm not going to rule out Nikki Haley.
I don't think Trump would take Scott but DeSantis might
Tarmaque wrote:
And then there's Mike Pence Bwahahahahahaha! Cough Cough choke sputter snerk.
He never should have hitched his cart to the Trump train. At least then he'd only have to overcome the religious right aspect. Now he's tied to both the religious right and alt right...

Tarmaque wrote:
Of course the big problem is the more candidates the better Two Slices' chances in the primaries. One good, smart opponent and he might get screwed, but a broad section of other candidates and he'll probably win based on his broad support among hillbillies and your weirdo uncle.

The more things unfold the more sure I am that I'm voting third party.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Tue May 23, 2023 3:15 pm

Young people go to college & their heads in a fog. You can almost see it. This kiddo is groping around in a dark room

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Tue May 23, 2023 8:23 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 3:15 pm
Young people go to college & their heads in a fog. You can almost see it. This kiddo is groping around in a dark room
He was supposed to speak at UC Davis a couple of months ago. There was a full-on riot.

In general, when Charlie Kurt talks, he says some great things. Yet when it comes to actual plans he's always pretty shallow. Which is what you hear here. To put it another way he has general nice concepts but doesn't seem to know how to get there. He's really not one of my favorite talking heads.

[qupte]Dian Feinstein is not left in my opinion[/quote]

So communism or bust?

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Tue May 23, 2023 8:37 pm

Guide : "..he says some great things. Yet when it comes to actual plans he's always pretty shallow. "

He addressed that very point two-thirds through his talk. I'm paraphrasing here.. he said if you get the basic concepts/values, the five basic concepts down for the country as he sees it, then the thousand of the practical working outs will fall in place
He goes around to these campuses trying to get these kids to think outside the box of their indoctrination

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Wed May 24, 2023 1:56 am

Slip Shod wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 8:37 pm
he said if you get the basic concepts/values, the five basic concepts down for the country as he sees it, then the thousand of the practical working outs will fall in place
He goes around to these campuses trying to get these kids to think outside the box of their indoctrination
Yes he did. But that's really a cop out. Values only matter if you can apply them to action. Otherwise they have no real world meaning or value. Not saying it's his job to have all the answers and more people want to hear what he has to say then me. I'm just saying I don't get a lot out of his talks personally