( Monday NO PO) Memorial Day

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

( Monday NO PO) Memorial Day

Post by Z is for Zangie » Mon May 29, 2023 1:52 am

Remembering those who have died for our country. Have a nice Memorial Monday.
download.jpg
download.jpg (11.93 KiB) Viewed 1442 times

GuideToACrazyWorld

Re: ( Monday NO PO) Memorial Day

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Mon May 29, 2023 2:38 am

The first day in Panama has been good but exhausting. It's 88 degrees but something like 4,000,000% humidity. I can deal with that, but I didn't bring a hat because I'm in Panama and I'm going to buy one. So there was nothing soaking up the sweat. And we ended up with 7 bags for 3 people. My wife is in a wheelchair my son is 5. So you know how that went down. Next time we will risk it and check two large bags and keep it to one carry-on. I just can't do this, I'm too damn old and too damn fat.

Panama is a gourgous and interesting country. It's a population of about 5,000,000 people but 2,000,000 of them live in Panama city. I had no concept how big that city really was. Nor how Americanized. You know we've gone to far when you aren't just seeing the usual suspects but little ceasers and olive garden. Made me embarrassed to be an American. Okay not really but I was tottally making fun of it with our driver.

The resort we are staying at might be the nicest accommodations of anywhere we've stayed. It isn't the most diverse in options but what they have is done well. That might not be a coincidence. The people here haven't been Jamica nice, but I that's a high bar. (Have I ever told you the story of the friendly drug dealer on that trip?) But they are way nicer than Americans. Okay maybe a low bar lol.

Tomorrow we are heading to The Valley of Anton which is pronounced An-tone, not An-tahn as I've been pronouncing it. No one corrected me but i caught on. It should be cooler up there, and it's a supposedly beautiful valley built on an inactive volcano. (I know @Tarmaque that's true of most mountains.) But they had a zoo, a butterfly habitat, a waterfall over 100' high and an open air market for my wife to haggle at and think she got a good deal. Don't tell @DarkPaisley but these people do this for a living. She isn't winning like she thinks. LOL Should be a fun day. Talk to you all soon

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Mon May 29, 2023 3:04 am

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 2:38 am
(I know Tarmaque that's true of most mountains.)
Plenty of mountains aren't volcanic. The Rocky Mountains for instance. Or the Himalayas.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Mon May 29, 2023 3:44 am

Mon May 29, 2023 2:38 am
The first day in Panama has been good but exhausting. It's 88 degrees but something like 4,000,000% humidity. I can deal with that, but I didn't bring a hat because I'm in Panama and I'm going to buy one. So there was nothing soaking up the sweat. And we ended up with 7 bags for 3 people. My wife is in a wheelchair my son is 5. So you know how that went down. Next time we will risk it and check two large bags and keep it to one carry-on. I just can't do this, I'm too damn old and too damn fat.

Panama is a gourgous and interesting country. It's a population of about 5,000,000 people but 2,000,000 of them live in Panama city. I had no concept how big that city really was. Nor how Americanized. You know we've gone to far when you aren't just seeing the usual suspects but little ceasers and olive garden. Made me embarrassed to be an American. Okay not really but I was tottally making fun of it with our driver.

The resort we are staying at might be the nicest accommodations of anywhere we've stayed. It isn't the most diverse in options but what they have is done well. That might not be a coincidence. The people here haven't been Jamica nice, but I that's a high bar. (Have I ever told you the story of the friendly drug dealer on that trip?) But they are way nicer than Americans. Okay maybe a low bar lol.

Tomorrow we are heading to The Valley of Anton which is pronounced An-tone, not An-tahn as I've been pronouncing it. No one corrected me but i caught on. It should be cooler up there, and it's a supposedly beautiful valley built on an inactive volcano. (I know @Tarmaque that's true of most mountains.) But they had a zoo, a butterfly habitat, a waterfall over 100' high and an open air market for my wife to haggle at and think she got a good deal. Don't tell @DarkPaisley but these people do this for a living. She isn't winning like she thinks. LOL Should be a fun day. Talk to you all soon
Even with the few annoyances, glad you are enjoying it. I get a ride from the luggage check to the gate , because I can't carry or even drag all that stuff anymore, and just take one tote with my laptop and other necessities on board. And get valet service going to and from the hotel.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Mon May 29, 2023 4:12 am

I recall a travel guru guy, not Rick Steves, who advocated for never traveling with anything you couldn't pack into your carry-on. It made sense to me, unless you were traveling to somewhere arctic.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Mon May 29, 2023 4:39 am

Tarmaque wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 4:12 am
I recall a travel guru guy, not Rick Steves, who advocated for never traveling with anything you couldn't pack into your carry-on. It made sense to me, unless you were traveling to somewhere arctic.
Well, you are a guy, and so was the person right? First of all, women need a lot more clothing and toiletries than men do, and also, we tend to pack for different temps, sweaters if it might be chilly at night etc...I couldn't get even some in my carry-on, the carry on has my laptop, my purse stuff, etc...and it has to be smaller because I can't drag a suitcase to the gate, choice and differet=nt clothes for different things, etc are important to us...you guys need what...jeans underwear and shoes and a t-shirt?...lol..and no the same toiletry stuff, plus I live by I would rather have and not need, or need and no have...lol

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Mon May 29, 2023 6:17 am

@Guide
I was wondering who's watching the lizard back home - and you never told us what you named it?
I was thinking maybe El Presidente be kind of Kool

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Mon May 29, 2023 8:51 am

I am nonviolent by desire, but not so foolish as to not understand there are some very bad, evil actors among us. Words cannot comfort those left behind from their fallen loved ones no matter the ground they've fallen on whether military or serving among us as police officers or firefighters and only fitting to set aside a day in remembrance.
They were and are the best of us, the fittest of us who serve.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Mon May 29, 2023 4:30 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 6:17 am
@GuideToACrazyWorld
I was wondering who's watching the lizard back home - and you never told us what you named it?

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Mon May 29, 2023 4:31 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
@Guide
I corrected your tag to Guide Slip, it didn't take.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Mon May 29, 2023 5:10 pm

Thx Z

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Mon May 29, 2023 6:00 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 5:10 pm
Thx Z
Welcome

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Tue May 30, 2023 2:56 am

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 3:44 am
Even with the few annoyances, glad you are enjoying it. I get a ride from the luggage check to the gate , because I can't carry or even drag all that stuff anymore, and just take one tote with my laptop and other necessities on board. And get valet service going to and from the hotel.
That is what it's for.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Tue May 30, 2023 2:57 am

Tarmaque wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 4:12 am
I've always lived by that. But when you have a family of 3 and 1 able-bodied adult, it's just not feasible.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Tue May 30, 2023 2:59 am

Slip Shod wrote:
We got an auto feeder and the Lizard will take care of himself otherwise. Tempeture and day night are all automated. Our dog is boarded for the week.

Name is a bit tricky. They are hard to sex when they are young. But we've been asuming his gender as male and calling him Clyde. But he might be a bonnie.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Tue May 30, 2023 4:25 am

Tue May 30, 2023 2:57 am
I've always lived by that. But when you have a family of 3 and 1 able-bodied adult, it's just not feasible.
I have a friend who was a Marine. He used to say "I can pack everything I'll ever need into my sea-bag." Today he's married and it can take days for him to pack for a trip.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Wed May 31, 2023 2:22 am

Tarmaque wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 4:25 am
Today he's married and it can take days for him to pack for a trip.
My wife stars packing a week in advance. I find so much random stuff in our luggage it's pretty funny.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Wed May 31, 2023 3:45 am

Wed May 31, 2023 2:22 am
My wife stars packing a week in advance. I find so much random stuff in our luggage it's pretty funny.
My ex wasn't bad about that, but she was terrible about having to clean just before we left. It would be time to go for an overnight trip, and I'd find her in her (always spotless) bathroom mopping. Or in the spare bedroom that we never used dusting.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Wed May 31, 2023 11:28 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 3:45 am
Wed May 31, 2023 2:22 am
My ex wasn't bad about that, but she was terrible about having to clean just before we left. It would be time to go for an overnight trip, and I'd find her in her (always spotless) bathroom mopping. Or in the spare bedroom that we never used dusting.
My friend Jay does this too, suddenly gets the urge to clean right before we need to leave, and has been late for trips many times...lol...I don't get it actually, no one will be there to see it either way.