( Thursday NO PO) Today is National Game Show Day, Say Something Nice Day & National Barefoot Day

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

( Thursday NO PO) Today is National Game Show Day, Say Something Nice Day & National Barefoot Day

Post by Z is for Zangie » Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:50 am

I haven't seen a game show in years, mostly because I don't watch network TV anymore. But, I used to love Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, Family Feud, Truth or Consequences, and Hollywood Squares, most of them, even some of the really old ones. ( What's my Line). I have board games of Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune but haven't played them in a long time either. I am always a fan of saying something nice, I try to every day to at least a couple of people. I used to go barefoot all the time, but haven't in a while now, my feet get cold at home, and outside, I am not as cavalier about dirty feet, bugs etc, or hurting my feet...lol..
game show.jpg
game show.jpg (16.32 KiB) Viewed 670 times
say something nice.jpg
say something nice.jpg (11.4 KiB) Viewed 670 times
go barefoot.jpg
go barefoot.jpg (10.26 KiB) Viewed 670 times

Slip Shod

Re: ( Thursday NO PO) Today is National Game Show Day, Say Something Nice Day & National Barefoot Day

Post by Slip Shod » Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:53 pm

There's a fella on YouTube and his channel is the History Guy, occasionally I'll tune in. He really is a walking encyclopedia of History. It's interesting because many times he's telling the story behind the story in history with charts and pictures and for more modern history, last 100 years, he'll includes photographs & video when available

Tarmaque

Re: ( Thursday NO PO) Today is National Game Show Day, Say Something Nice Day & National Barefoot Day

Post by Tarmaque » Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:55 pm

I can't go barefoot much anymore. Aside from the fact that anything larger than a grain of sand feels like a Lego block, I never was one much for going barefoot to begin with. Where I grew up honey bees were a big problem in the yard, and thistles were common elsewhere. Also a lot of the area was river bottom so there wasn't so much "yard" as there was "river rock, with a little bit of dirt between them." To me people who run barefoot are freaks with a love of pain. (I joke, but my feet hurt so much these days without even standing on them that I can't imagine that.)

That said, for something nice I can say that it looks like I'm on the fast track to getting a new job. Or should I say, the slow track. The process is as slow as honey in winter. However the good news is they have a number of incentives, which include a couple of $250 stipends throughout the process and they pay for a number of the expenses. Then there's a sign-on bonus of $1500 paid in two $750 sums after 90 days and 6 months. And I'm ahead of all the other people in the program because I have experience and I know someone on the payroll who vouched for me.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:04 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:55 pm
I can't go barefoot much anymore. Aside from the fact that anything larger than a grain of sand feels like a Lego block, I never was one much for going barefoot to begin with. Where I grew up honey bees were a big problem in the yard, and thistles were common elsewhere. Also a lot of the area was river bottom so there wasn't so much "yard" as there was "river rock, with a little bit of dirt between them." To me people who run barefoot are freaks with a love of pain. (I joke, but my feet hurt so much these days without even standing on them that I can't imagine that.)

That said, for something nice I can say that it looks like I'm on the fast track to getting a new job. Or should I say, the slow track. The process is as slow as honey in winter. However the good news is they have a number of incentives, which include a couple of $250 stipends throughout the process and they pay for a number of the expenses. Then there's a sign-on bonus of $1500 paid in two $750 sums after 90 days and 6 months. And I'm ahead of all the other people in the program because I have experience and I know someone on the payroll who vouched for me.
That's great news Tarm.....fingers crossed, wish you luck

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:50 pm

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:04 pm
fingers crossed, wish you luck
Thank you. I knew I could get this one (knowing the most senior driver on the staff helps.) I just didn't particularly want it. However it could end up being a good thing.