( Thursday NO PO) Today is Best Friends Day, World Oceans Day, & Name Your Poison

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

( Thursday NO PO) Today is Best Friends Day, World Oceans Day, & Name Your Poison

Post by Z is for Zangie » Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:01 am

Best Friends are wonderful, I actually have a few. ..and one pending...lol... Oceans are awesome, I have seen and been to the Atlantic several times ( NJ, NY, S. Carolina, Florida, Bahama Island, and Punta Cana)..always inspiring. Have to see the Pacific before I die ...keep trying. This is what the site says about Name your Poison ( either a cautionary tale or just asking what you want for a drink). National Name Your Poison Day on June 8th places a few options before you and challenges you to choose. In this case, the idiom can be a cautionary one or it could be your bartender’s way of asking you what you want to drink.

While “nominate your poison” harkens back to the early days of the temperance movement, the phrase seems to have been used mostly to describe the action of ordering the drink. Even in 1914 as the mayor of New Bavaria, Ohio proposed a law requiring all drinkers to apply for drinking licenses, the phrase was popular. The phrase comes in many forms – pick, choose, or name – and of course, nominate your poison.
best friends.jpg
best friends.jpg (11.75 KiB) Viewed 731 times
World Ocean.jpg
World Ocean.jpg (9.74 KiB) Viewed 731 times
name your poison.jpg
name your poison.jpg (11.08 KiB) Viewed 731 times

Tarmaque

Re: ( Thursday NO PO) Today is Best Friends Day, World Oceans Day, & Name Your Poison

Post by Tarmaque » Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:51 am

My damn neighbor has been gone for the better part of two weeks (pet house-sitting) and I've been watching her cat. Which is fine. I've known the little maniac since she was a kitten. She finally gets back today, and limps in to her apartment. She'd already texed me a couple days ago how it hadn't been a good day.

It turns out she tore her big toenail off at Jiu Jitsu practice. She insisted on showing me the video of her tearing it the rest of the way off. 🤢 🤮

Then she told me she spent all her money on a Jiu Jitsu retreat. In Brazil. End of August.

She's impulsive and nuts, but I know that. Right now she's down in her apartment gathering everything together she can find to sell on Facebook Marketplace to make a little cash. What this means for me is she'll be hitting me up for dinner on occasion until then. Meh. It's okay. She feeds me frequently too. (She tried to kill me off with some Snickerdoodles the other day. One thing a diabetic does NOT need is a Snickerdoodle, much less 8 of them.)

On top of that, Finn the cat still has an injured front paw that I can't figure out, I'm in the middle of School Bus Driver training, and it's hot. I need to study to take a test at the Department of Licensing, AND I just got a tooth crowned today that I can't really afford right now. It hurts.

As the ancient Chinese curse goes: "May you live in interesting times."

Z is for Zangie

Re: ( Thursday NO PO) Today is Best Friends Day, World Oceans Day, & Name Your Poison

Post by Z is for Zangie » Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:57 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:51 am
My damn neighbor has been gone for the better part of two weeks (pet house-sitting) and I've been watching her cat. Which is fine. I've known the little maniac since she was a kitten. She finally gets back today, and limps in to her apartment. She'd already texed me a couple days ago how it hadn't been a good day.

It turns out she tore her big toenail off at Jiu Jitsu practice. She insisted on showing me the video of her tearing it the rest of the way off. 🤢 🤮

Then she told me she spent all her money on a Jiu Jitsu retreat. In Brazil. End of August.

She's impulsive and nuts, but I know that. Right now she's down in her apartment gathering everything together she can find to sell on Facebook Marketplace to make a little cash. What this means for me is she'll be hitting me up for dinner on occasion until then. Meh. It's okay. She feeds me frequently too. (She tried to kill me off with some Snickerdoodles the other day. One thing a diabetic does NOT need is a Snickerdoodle, much less 8 of them.)

On top of that, Finn the cat still has an injured front paw that I can't figure out, I'm in the middle of School Bus Driver training, and it's hot. I need to study to take a test at the Department of Licensing, AND I just got a tooth crowned today that I can't really afford right now. It hurts.

As the ancient Chinese curse goes: "May you live in interesting times."
Good thoughts and hugs and unicorns coming your way....xo

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:04 pm

Got a smile out of me Z when you talked about good friends, okay, and one pending 😎 / I took it as a there was a potential
Many poisons out there aside of alcohol and drugs - an evil-hearted woman comes to mind