(Tuesday PO) Biden gets a root canal (without anesthetic) and postpones some events

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

GuideToACrazyWorld

(Tuesday PO) Biden gets a root canal (without anesthetic) and postpones some events

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:01 am

https://www.npr.org/2023/06/12/11817036 ... ome-events
President Biden was "doing just fine" after a root canal on Monday, White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said, describing him as being back at work in the residence after the surgery.

White House physician Kevin O'Connor said in a memo that Biden had a toothache on Sunday on the lower right-hand side of his mouth — tooth 29, to be exact.
Biden gets a clean bill of health as he mulls a 2024 run — where his age is a concern
Politics
Biden gets a clean bill of health as he mulls a 2024 run — where his age is a concern

There's a dental office in the basement of the White House, and that's where a team from Walter Reed National Military Medical Center took X-rays and determined that a root canal was in order. Initial steps were done that day, and Biden "tolerated the procedure well," O'Connor said.

"He is experiencing further discomfort this morning, which was anticipated," O'Connor said in the memo.

Vice President Harris filled in for President Biden at an event with college athletes, including Logan Eggleston (left) of the University of Texas at Austin's volleyball team.
Andrew Caballero-Reynolds/AFP via Getty Images
Biden was not sedated for this root canal

The White House said Biden was not put under anesthesia for this root canal. Instead, dentists used local anesthetic to numb the area around the tooth in question.

Since he was not sedated, he didn't need to briefly transfer his powers to Vice President Harris, under the 25th Amendment of the Constitution. That's something he did in 2021 when he had a benign polyp removed from his colon during a routine colonoscopy.
Sponsor Message

Harris did, however, fill in for Biden at an event with college athletes.

Biden rescheduled a planned meeting with NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg and an evening reception for the chiefs of mission, opting to wait until Tuesday instead.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Re: (Tuesday PO) Biden gets a root canal (without anesthetic) and postpones some events

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:03 am

I would also rather have a root canal without anesthetics then have Harris running the country for a day or two. I'm a little confused as to why they had to skip the local though.

Slip Shod

Re: (Tuesday PO) Biden gets a root canal (without anesthetic) and postpones some events

Post by Slip Shod » Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:17 pm

The Tyranny of Experts , * I call it We the People versus Elitism, ruling from the top down. Not very difficult to see the end game where we are ruled and reigned over by AI and in conjunction with those who program and operate those systems
The Tyranny of Experts review – taking on the development technocrats, book review

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/ ... evelopment

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:06 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:17 pm
The Tyranny of Experts , * I call it We the People versus Elitism, ruling from the top down. Not very difficult to see the end game where we are ruled and reigned over by AI and in conjunction with those who program and operate those systems
The Tyranny of Experts review – taking on the development technocrats, book review

The issue in sub-Saharan Africa is one of access. Africa only has a few navigable rivers, and for the most part, they are only navigable seasonally. As a result, the means to build settlements, then cities, large metropolises aren't present in most of the country. You end up with a handful of coastal cities and a completely undeveloped interior. How do you develop these areas now? I don't have the answers. That is the question that must be answered if you want to combat poverty in sub-Saharan Africa.

The book's premise seems a bit flawed to me. Freedom and equality are opposite ideas. The freer a society is the more choices we will each be able to make. Choices lead to the disparity. What freedom does allow is for a society to elevate as a whole. As a result, even those in poverty live better than those who are impoverished in societies that lack liberty.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:27 pm

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:06 pm
Slip Shod wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:17 pm

The issue in sub-Saharan Africa is one of access. Africa only has a few navigable rivers, and for the most part, they are only navigable seasonally. As a result, the means to build settlements, then cities, large metropolises aren't present in most of the country. You end up with a handful of coastal cities and a completely undeveloped interior. How do you develop these areas now? I don't have the answers. That is the question that must be answered if you want to combat poverty in sub-Saharan Africa.

The book's premise seems a bit flawed to me. Freedom and equality are opposite ideas. The freer a society is the more choices we will each be able to make. Choices lead to the disparity. What freedom does allow is for a society to elevate as a whole. As a result, even those in poverty live better than those who are impoverished in societies that lack liberty.
First point is that the poor have been and will always be among us, equality is a rouge.. a notion, a concept to deceive, set in emotionalism & not thought through.
Freedom allows those who would, may.
The compassion from those who have, the better off societies is needed to help lift up and deal with practical problems, for example infrastructure,, educating not indoctrinating - not for handouts and enabling to guarantee all with equality in poverty/mediocrity and indebtedness.
That's how I see it, that's my story and I'm sticking to it

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:43 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:27 pm
First point is that the poor have been and will always be among us, equality is a rouge.. a notion, a concept to deceive, set in emotionalism & not thought through.
I would say in an absolute sense, both freedom and equality are unobtainable ideals. It's a spectrum and finding the right balance is what matters. For instance, we have a name for a purely free society, we call it anarchy. It's been proven time and time again that anarchy is not sustainable. Humans grave some level of equality.
Slip Shod wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:27 pm
The compassion from those who have, the better off societies is needed to help lift up and deal with practical problems, for example infrastructure,, educating not indoctrinating - not for handouts and enabling to guarantee all with equality in poverty/mediocrity and indebtedness.
That's how I see it, that's my story and I'm sticking to it
If that were true in an absolute sense, then anarchy would be the ideal social structure. I think most of us can agree it is not. I tend to come down more on the freedom side than the equality side. To an extreme, but at the same time I recognize that both have their value.