( Wednesday NO PO) Today is National Flag Day ( also a holiday), Int'l Bath Day, Pop goes the Weasel Day & Bourbon Day

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

( Wednesday NO PO) Today is National Flag Day ( also a holiday), Int'l Bath Day, Pop goes the Weasel Day & Bourbon Day

Post by Z is for Zangie » Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:53 am

It is actually a holiday, not just a day. Yea for the flag. I would kill for a large bathtub big enough to lay out in and for bubbles, and a ledge where I can read and have a bourbon...lol...when I was in Punta Cana, I had all that, but, I was unfortunately all alone...lol...Pop goes the Weasel as the song, there is some interesting history about how it came about:

On June 14th each year, National Pop Goes the Weasel Day celebrates a nursery rhyme children have been singing for more than 300 years. On this day, people dig back into their memories to the nursery rhymes they learned as children and celebrate the day singing “Pop Goes the Weasel.”

#NationalPopGoesTheWeaselDay
The origins of this nursery rhyme are believed to date back to the 1700s. The original version went as such:

Half a pound of tuppenny rice,
Half a pound of treacle.
That’s the way the money goes,
Pop! goes the weasel.
Up and down the City road,
In and out the Eagle,
Pop! goes the weasel.

“The Eagle”, in the second verse, may refer to The Eagle freehold pub, which was once at the corner of Shepherdess Walk and City Road in London. In 1825 the pub was as a music house. Then, in 1901, it was demolished and rebuilt once more into a public house. It bears a plaque with this version of “Pop Goes the Weasel,” along with the history of the pub.

An alternative version:

A penny for a spool of thread,
A penny for a needle.
Pop! goes the weasel.

In this version, the weasel is interpreted as being a shuttle or bobbin used by silk weavers and being pawned in a similar way. Possibly as the suits or jackets owned by the Cockneys.

Of course, there are many different versions of this nursery rhyme. All are fun, and especially have the same catchy tune.
flag.jpg
flag.jpg (10.41 KiB) Viewed 730 times
bath.jpg
bath.jpg (6.48 KiB) Viewed 730 times
weasel.jpg
weasel.jpg (11.27 KiB) Viewed 730 times
bourbon.jpg
bourbon.jpg (17.94 KiB) Viewed 730 times
Sorry I didn't have anything last night the site didn't send it and it was broken when I went there, and it was late and this morning I was too busy at work to do it. I know weasels get a bad rap, but, he looks kinda cute to me, and all th e pictures of them were the same...lol

GuideToACrazyWorld

Re: ( Wednesday NO PO) Today is National Flag Day ( also a holiday), Int'l Bath Day, Pop goes the Weasel Day & Bourbon D

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:20 am

So, @DarkPaisley totaled her 2nd car now. Or as I like to call her Crash Bandicoot. Anyway we had to go car shopping and it's wild out there. Some dealerships asking $10,000 over MSRP and standing firm. 2 different Toyota dealers and not a single Rav4 on the lots. (they were more then willing to sell me one off the truck site unseen). Low mileage used cars going for more then identically equipped new cars. We did get an Tucson and only had to pay a couple grand over MSRP. I wish I was kidding

Slip Shod

Re: ( Wednesday NO PO) Today is National Flag Day ( also a holiday), Int'l Bath Day, Pop goes the Weasel Day & Bourbon D

Post by Slip Shod » Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:27 am

☝️to Guide's post above. It's gotten to where I really don't like driving at all - I'll yield nearly always, do the speed limit kind of sort of, constantly looking and watching, in other words just playing it safe and yet you just never know. Everyone seems to be rushing to get somewhere + there's a lot of inconsiderate people out there too. I've conquered getting pissed off, that's behind me now and I've come to accept 'it is what it is'

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:03 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:27 am
☝️to Guide's post above. It's gotten to where I really don't like driving at all - I'll yield nearly always, do the speed limit kind of sort of, constantly looking and watching, in other words just playing it safe and yet you just never know. Everyone seems to be rushing to get somewhere + there's a lot of inconsiderate people out there too. I've conquered getting pissed off, that's behind me now and I've come to accept 'it is what it is'
With age I just become way more curious when driving, not so much my driving, but other people's...I think it is partly more awareness of what can go wrong and awareness of my own mortality as I have fewer years left than I have lived