(Wednesday Po) Lin Wood, a pro-Trump attorney who challenged 2020 election, retires his law license

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

GuideToACrazyWorld

(Wednesday Po) Lin Wood, a pro-Trump attorney who challenged 2020 election, retires his law license

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:40 am

https://www.npr.org/2023/07/05/11860719 ... ense-trump
Lin Wood, a supporter of former President Donald Trump who sought to overturn the 2020 election, had his law license retired in Georgia rather than wait for possible punishment from the state bar's multiple disciplinary investigations against him.

By Wednesday afternoon, the Georgia State Bar's website listed Wood as "retired."

In a letter sent to Georgia Bar officials earlier this week, Wood asked to be allowed to "transfer to Retired Status effective immediately." He wrote that this move is "irrevocable and permanent" and that he is not permitted to practice law in the state of Georgia or anywhere else outside of representing himself.

Wood shared a photo of the letter he sent to State Bar of Georgia's General Counsel Paula Frederick and the organization's executive director Damon Elmore on his Telegram account.

He wrote in a follow up post on Telegram, "Today, I AM RETIRED!!!The State Bar of Georgia has agreed to drop the disciplinary cases against me in return for my agreement to take the status of RETIRED."

Neither Wood nor representatives from the State Bar of Georgia responded to NPR's request for comment.
What we've learned from pro-Trump attorney John Eastman's state bar trial
Law
What we've learned from pro-Trump attorney John Eastman's state bar trial

Wood was part of a pro-Trump legal team that launched several challenges to 2020 election results that went nowhere and pushed baseless conspiracies of fraud.

Other pro-Trump attorneys that worked to overturn the 2020 election results have faced similar disciplinary actions related to those efforts. The State Bar of California opened its case last month against John Eastman for pushing false allegations of voter fraud. Others that have faced inquiries by state legal authorities include Rudy Giuliani, Jenna Ellis and Sidney Powell.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Re: (Wednesday Po) Lin Wood, a pro-Trump attorney who challenged 2020 election, retires his law license

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:41 am

What has a lower life expediency then a Trump lawyer?

No, punch line. I'd really like to know if there is anything.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Re: (Wednesday Po) Lin Wood, a pro-Trump attorney who challenged 2020 election, retires his law license

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:45 am

So something happened locally. There is a really cool Korean/Hawaiian fusion restaurant. They have now been broken into twice. This last time they said that three other Asian restaurant were all hit in succession and they were looking into it as a hate crime. Great couple, good food, just the kind of business you feel good about supporting. I immediately want to my head to try and see if racism was the logical conclusion. That kind of broke my heart. Really, we shouldn't care why he was broken into. Only that it happened and shifting our focus to supporting him. I just feel bad that I didn't start there. Instead I want down a meaningless rabbit hole.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:17 pm

Lin Wood is 70 years old, and a low-level Trump conspirator. I suspect that the Bar offered him a deal: Retire now and we'll stop all investigations into you. This wasn't to benefit him, but to save them the time and money of throwing him out. Either way his career is over, but I don't doubt he's stashed plenty to support himself in style during retirement. This outcome doesn't even stop him from being politically active. He just can't do so as an attorney. Only as a private citizen.
GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:45 am
I immediately want to my head to try and see if racism was the logical conclusion.
That isn't an unreasonable reaction considering the news and what we know of our society. Don't beat yourself up about it, and keep supporting those places you like regardless of the origin of the owners. (As long as they aren't assholes. I'll drop a place in a heartbeat if they're assholes.)

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:22 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:17 pm
That isn't an unreasonable reaction considering the news and what we know of our society.
I think that's the saddest part. Not that I react this way, but that we live in a society that makes it a reasonable reaction.
Tarmaque wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:17 pm
(As long as they aren't assholes. I'll drop a place in a heartbeat if they're assholes.)
There is a lot of good food in the world. Yours is not so special. But you are decent people and have good food? I'm in.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:48 am

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:22 pm
But you are decent people and have good food? I'm in.
Me too. Unless I'm too cheap this week.