( Tuesday NO PO) Today is National Rainier Cherry Day, Blueberry Muffin Day, & Cow Appreciation Day

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

( Tuesday NO PO) Today is National Rainier Cherry Day, Blueberry Muffin Day, & Cow Appreciation Day

Post by Z is for Zangie » Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:55 am

I am not sure I have ever had a Rainier Cherry, I know they are grown in CA, and as far as I know, what we get here, is only one kind, and they don't look the same...lol...I love cherries of any kind I am sure. Blueberry Muffins, they are good, I like the chocolate chip ones Seneca had more I think, and the banana nut one and they were huge. Cows are pretty cool, my one sister loves them, and has them all over her house and outside in her yard and I have bought her a lot of cow stuff.
rainier cherry.jpg
rainier cherry.jpg (15.93 KiB) Viewed 677 times
blueberry muffin.jpg
blueberry muffin.jpg (16.39 KiB) Viewed 677 times
Cow.jpg
Cow.jpg (11.9 KiB) Viewed 677 times

GuideToACrazyWorld

Re: ( Tuesday NO PO) Today is National Rainier Cherry Day, Blueberry Muffin Day, & Cow Appreciation Day

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:59 am

Makes me think of @Mr. Buh The Watchful. I owe her a return email.

Z is for Zangie

Re: ( Tuesday NO PO) Today is National Rainier Cherry Day, Blueberry Muffin Day, & Cow Appreciation Day

Post by Z is for Zangie » Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:39 pm

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:59 am
Makes me think of @Mr. Buh The Watchful. I owe her a return email.
Yeah, cherries always remind me of her.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:19 pm

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:55 am
I know they are grown in CA,
Most Rainier Cherries are grown in Oregon and Washington, not California. You are probably more familiar with the Bing Cherry, which is one of the parent varieties of the Rainier Cherry. It is completely red when ripe, unlike the Rainier which remains partially yellow when ripe. California does produce some of both cherries, but they are primarily grown in the Pacific Northwest where they were developed. Where I grew up Rainier Cherries were common in people's back yards. My Grandmother had one, and so did the neighbor across the street. You all but never saw Bing Cherry trees in people's yards. However there are TONS of wild cherry trees around here. Sweet and tasty, but about half the size of the commercial varieties and they don't produce nearly as many. Birds get most of them.