(wednesday PO) DeSantis' fundraising numbers mask potential problems

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

GuideToACrazyWorld

(wednesday PO) DeSantis' fundraising numbers mask potential problems

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:06 am

https://www.npr.org/2023/07/17/11881516 ... undraising
The latest campaign finance data was released Saturday and gives a window into financial stability of the presidential campaigns.

Here are a few takeaways from the Federal Elections Commission reports:

1. DeSantis has a small-donor problem, which could be a long-term issue

Ron DeSantis' campaign is relying heavily on large donors, many of whom have already given the maximum allowed, as his campaign struggles to catch up to former President Trump in the GOP presidential primary, an NPR analysis of the most recent campaign finance data release shows.

In fact, 70% of DeSantis' donors have given the max.

Just 15% of DeSantis' contributions have come from small donors, those given less than $200. That indicates a potential long-term problem for the Florida governor's campaign. After entering with much fanfare, a number that low indicates a lack of grassroots support. For context, the Trump joint fundraising committee in the 2022 midterm cycle and Vivek Ramaswamy, another GOP candidate, pulled in more than half of their totals from small donors.
Sponsor Message
President Biden posts 'blockbuster' three-month fundraising total: $72 million
Politics
President Biden posts 'blockbuster' three-month fundraising total: $72 million

The data also show that DeSantis spent roughly $8 million in the first five-and-a-half weeks of his campaign. That's a rate of about $1.5 million a week. While DeSantis has raised the most money of the GOP presidential candidates – just over $20 million and still has $12 million cash on hand – at a rate of $1.5 million a week, he would need about $42 million more to make it to the Jan. 15 Iowa caucuses.

(Also, $3 million of the $20 million DeSantis raised is earmarked for the general election and cannot be used for the primary, as Politico notes.)

It is likely why DeSantis is reportedly shedding staff, letting go of a dozen staffers in a cost-cutting measure, according to NBC News. It also likely means he is going to be relying heavily on the super PAC supporting him to run ads and do a lot of the messaging work usually reserved for the candidate and campaign.

Legally, candidates and super PACs supporting them are not allowed to have any contact.

2. The health of Trump's finances is difficult to assess at this point

Trump has different committees raising money — the campaign, a joint fundraising committee and a PAC supporting him. The joint fundraising committee, set up before this presidential election, is able to transfer him campaign money, and has done so to the tune of tens of millions of dollars.
Sponsor Message

But these committees have a different reporting deadline than the campaign itself. The end of this month is the next one, so the full picture is not yet clear. That's the case, by the way, for super PACs supporting the rest of these campaigns, and these super PACs have been generally spending just slightly less than the campaigns themselves.

The Trump campaign says it raised more than $35 million this quarter combined with the joint fundraising committee. Only $17.7 million, though, was reported, as of Saturday's deadline, from the campaign itself this quarter.
2024 Republican presidential candidates: A list of who is or may be running
Elections
2024 Republican presidential candidates: A list of who is or may be running

That did include a transfer of about $15 million from the joint fundraising committee. The New York Times has reported that some of the money from the joint fundraising committee has gone to another PAC as a way to pay his legal bills. Trump has been indicted in two different states and could face more charges related to election interference and the Jan. 6 insurrection.

But Trump likely does not face the grassroots fundraising problem of DeSantis. In the 2022 midterm cycle, the joint fundraising committee raised more than $150 million, and more than half came from small donors.

3. Rich guys are burning through their own money

Aside from Trump, two other Republican candidates are very wealthy – Ramaswamy, a former tech CEO estimated to be worth about $630 million, and North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum, who is a billionaire.

Ramaswamy has either donated or loaned himself $16 million so far, while Burgum has loaned himself $10.2 million, according to the federal campaign fundraising data.

Ramaswamy also spent more than $10 million so far, the most of any GOP presidential primary candidate's campaign. That's a burn rate of 53%. Burgum, who was only in the race three weeks when these reports had to be filed, has also spent a significant amount of what he's poured in. He spent a total of $8.1 million. That's a 69% burn rate.
Sponsor Message

Ramaswamy has raised about $3 million from donors so far, less than DeSantis, Trump, former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley ($7.6 million) and South Carolina Sen. Tim Scott ($7 million), but more than former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie ($1.7 million), Burgum ($1.6 million), former Vice President Mike Pence ($1.2 million), Miami Mayor Francis Suarez ($945,000), former Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson ($502,000) and former Rep. Will Hurd ($270,000).

4. RFK Jr. likely won't beat Biden, but there's no denying there's a slice of the country listening to him

Robert F. Kennedy Jr., a vaccine conspiracy theorist critical of the war in Ukraine and the nephew of former President John F. Kennedy, who is challenging President Biden in the Democratic primary, has raised about $6.4 million so far.

He has $4.5 million cash on hand, more than a third of the money he raised came from small donors, and he has not loaned himself any money despite his family's wealth. (His family is overwhelmingly opposed to him running.)

About $100,000 of the $4 million in larger donations to him has actually come from an unusual crossover of donors to Republicans DeSantis and Trump.

If he were running in the GOP primary, RFK Jr. would be fifth in both total raised from individuals and cash on hand.
RFK Jr. is building a presidential campaign around conspiracy theories
Untangling Disinformation
RFK Jr. is building a presidential campaign around conspiracy theories

Now, his totals are nowhere close to what Biden has raised for his reelection, so he's not a viable threat to Biden's renomination. With all of Biden's committees combined, the president raked in $72 million in the second quarter alone, way more than any Republican candidate.

But Kennedy's total is certainly enough to be able to sustain a lean campaign and make a push that continues to gain attention.

Other notable points:

Scott has the deepest pockets of the GOP candidates with $21 million cash on hand because he's dipping into money he has left over from his Senate campaigns. But his spending is outpacing what he's raising. He has raised $7.6 million in this campaign, but spent $8.3 million, a burn rate of 109%.
Christie raised $1.6 million for this quarterly report, which covers just the first three weeks of his campaign. While that isn't a huge sum, he only spent $66,000, a burn rate of just 4%. Christie doesn't have a huge operation, and he's relying largely on earned media, in other words, media coverage that gets him attention. With those factors and the super PAC supporting him, he'll likely be able to stick around.
Pence is struggling to sustain a serious campaign. It wasn't clear what Pence's base would be, and the donors just aren't there. He's raised $1.2 million total. Now, he's only spent 6% of what he's raised and has $1 million cash on hand, but it's likely going to be Iowa or bust for the former vice president.
Suarez announced two weeks before the end of the filing deadline, but it looks like he went to the well with some of his known donors. He raised $945,000, but 97% of it came from larger donors. He's going to have to gain more grassroots support to have a real shot – even at just gaining a lot of attention for a potential VP slot, if that's what he wants.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Re: (wednesday PO) DeSantis' fundraising numbers mask potential problems

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:07 am

didn't read it.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:49 pm

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:07 am
didn't read it.
I've always thought of you as middle of the road, genuinely balanced and have always appreciated you.
As for me, I don't mind differing opinions on any subject. We each have our own and isn't that the way it should be in an open and free society, free to express ourselves? I can be very direct and blunt, but I hope I've never come across as hateful.
There's been much talk of an open society, how bout we do that? And that means, we don't have to agree

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:20 pm

Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:07 am
didn't read it.
Not much there to read. He's setting himself up to be the alternative if von Golfcart gets convicted, but he hasn't got a chance. He's hated almost as much as Ted Cruz. No charisma whatsoever. He can't even tell lies people want to believe convincingly.

Besides, the republican party will nominate Spraytan from a jail cell before they'll nominate the guy who fought The Mouse. And lost.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:49 pm

Curious, not much coming forth from NPR about a presidency and a President in decline. They like to focus on as he's affectionately called by some von Golfcart not on President 'no one at home Biden' not only mentally & physically but literally as well. Talk about a guy that loves vacations - check it out for yourself. Uncle Joe's been away from the office nearly 50% of the time, nobody there. What a sweet vacation package
Not that it would make any difference if he were there. We all know Obama's calling the shots and pulling the strings. Joe can't tie his shoes and chew gum at the same time let alone stay up on a bicycle
P.s
Since Disney's gone 'woke' they're in a terrible financial situation. Just read an article they're selling half their holdings - in what and where I have to go back and try to find it it's been a few couple days - so much for the mighty mouse

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:49 pm

Just what is this undercurrent guiding companies into wokeness, who's calling the shots? I wouldn't say leading the way, I would call it more pushing the agenda. There are several. A big one is Blackrock managing over 9 trillion dollars in assets globally and then there's the WEF, the Soros types and they're coercing these companies, governments to play ball. I don't like being lied to and I hate deception. Maybe I have just too much time on my hands; most people don't read about these things. They're busting their ass at work, they're planning dinner, doing regular people stuff

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:17 am

Slip Shod wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:49 pm
I've always thought of you as middle of the road, genuinely balanced and have always appreciated you.
Not at all. Well I guess it depends on what access we are talking about. I'm pretty middle of the road when it comes to financial aspects of government. When it comes to personal liberty I think most would consider me an extremist. That does sometimes pull my financial thinking to the right, not because I think that controlling inflation is more important then creating wealth, but because I always look for the solution that results in the most freedom

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:18 am

Tarmaque wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:20 pm
Not much there to read. He's setting himself up to be the alternative if von Golfcart gets convicted, but he hasn't got a chance. He's hated almost as much as Ted Cruz. No charisma whatsoever. He can't even tell lies people want to believe convincingly.
Really? I had thought he was pretty popular. I don't get it, but I thought he was.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:27 am

Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:18 am
Really? I had thought he was pretty popular. I don't get it, but I thought he was.
Being the leading alternative to Mar a Large-O isn't the same thing as being popular. He's down in the polls, bleeding money, firing election workers, and going nowhere at warp 11. His latest stunt with trying to impose a revisionist school curriculum backfired so hard he had to distance himself from it. I'd say he even has little chance of being re-elected Governor.