( Monday NO PO) Today is "Mutt" Day, Raspberry Cake Day & Avacado Day

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

( Monday NO PO) Today is "Mutt" Day, Raspberry Cake Day & Avacado Day

Post by Z is for Zangie » Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:38 am

I am more of a cat person than a dog person for several reasons. But, dogs can look pretty cool, especially puppies. And I am all in favor of rescues at shelters, which are often "mutts'. I love raspberries, I have never eaten a raspberry cake, nor even ever seen one, though I have seen a Raspberry pie. It looks yummy though. I have never had an actual avocado, but, I don't like guacamole at all, though Rick loves it. Have a Marvelous Monday! ( I am not looking forward to going back to work myself...lol...).
Mutt.jpg
Mutt.jpg (10.9 KiB) Viewed 879 times
raspberry cake.jpg
raspberry cake.jpg (12.19 KiB) Viewed 879 times
avacado.jpg
avacado.jpg (16.24 KiB) Viewed 879 times

GuideToACrazyWorld

Re: ( Monday NO PO) Today is "Mutt" Day, Raspberry Cake Day & Avacado Day

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:16 am

So, we went to a reptile show this weekend as a family. Basically we saw Crested Geckos, Ball Pythons and Bearded Dragons. There was one both devoted to Banded Lizards (he also has a young breeding pair of Australian Water Dragons but they aren't breeding yet.) A couple booths with Panther Chameleons, and one with Gargyal geckos. Other then that there were a couple of booths that had a bunch of different stuff.

I was asking around about Australian Water Dragons, one lady actually laughed at me and said if she had one it would have sold before even coming to the show. The US supply has really dwindled on these guys and it's a shame because they are a great lizard. The biggest problem is the Chinese Water Dragon which is more brightly collared and almost exclusively wild caught. Similar size, similar behavior, but no one really knows how to keep the health, probably because you can gut one wild caught for about $50. There just isn't any money in breeding them. I'm really thinking about taking this beyond the pet thing and turning my garage into a herp room. I'm thinking of breeding the Australian Water Dragon and possibly a couple other species. Emerald Tree Skink is high on my list as they are known to be extremely friendly and are poised for a break out in the market. Maybe I'm just dreaming I know making a living as a reptile breeder can be a tough road to hoe. But it beats working for a living. lol

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:33 am

I don't know if it's me and just my own taster, but I've had avocados and they don't seem to taste like anything; there's no flavor to them

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:23 pm

We talked one time Z about stuffed olives . they've got the stuffed with garlic clove and stuff with feta cheese / I like them both. Have you got around picking some up ?

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:31 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:23 pm
We talked one time Z about stuffed olives . they've got the stuffed with garlic clove and stuff with feta cheese / I like them both. Have you got around picking some up ?
Garlic I would like, feta cheese...ewww...nope...lol....nope, not in the food budget right now

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:59 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:33 am
I don't know if it's me and just my own taster, but I've had avocados and they don't seem to taste like anything; there's no flavor to them
They can be like that if they aren't ripe when you get them. You have to let them sit until they are about as firm as a softball then they have better flavor. I'm an expert, I've lived in Ca for 44 years...

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:56 pm

Played any baseball? A softball is hard as a rock

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:29 am

I will most likely not post the NO PO till the morning...I am behind and tired and feeling kinda crappy
( though cherries were on sale and Rick got me a pound ( he doesn't like them, so they are all for meeeee....yippee....lol)

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:40 am

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:29 am
I am behind and tired and feeling kinda crappy
I feel you there. I have a phone appt with the diabetes nurse tomorrow, and my blood sugar was awful today due to eating gingerbread with ice cream last night (and for lunch today.)

I love that stuff.

Also, I have come down with an upper respiratory infection in my sinuses and chest. Feel like shit. Sore throat and drippy nose. I went to bed early last night and could hardly sleep. The cat kept waking me up and wanting food. I finally got him settled down at around 6:00 in the morning and fell into a deep sleep. I slept right through until 10:30 when I woke up miserable. I feel a little better tonight, but it's hot.

But I did have a great dream last night about finding a talking kitten in a cave out in the forest. It was long and convoluted and didn't make a lot of sense, also involving a movie festival at a local theater, but I did wake up feeling pretty positive in spite of how I felt. The idea of a kitten actually being able to tell me what it wanted was refreshing after half a night of "Meow! MEOW!" and never knowing what he wanted. Food, as it turns out.