(Wednesday PO) Former Michigan GOP attorney general nominee is charged in voting machine breach

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

GuideToACrazyWorld

(Wednesday PO) Former Michigan GOP attorney general nominee is charged in voting machine breach

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:11 am

https://www.npr.org/2023/08/01/11425993 ... ch-charges
The most recent Republican nominee for Michigan attorney general faces criminal charges for an alleged effort to gain access to voting machines after the 2020 election as the results were being contested by then-President Donald Trump. That's after Democratic nominee Joe Biden won Michigan.

Matthew DePerno, who unsuccessfully challenged incumbent Democratic Attorney General Dana Nessel in the 2022 election, has been charged with undue possession of a voting machine, willfully damaging a voting machine and conspiracy, according to the special prosecutor investigating the case.

DePerno, an attorney, had been endorsed in that 2022 contest by Trump, and he rose to prominence after pushing Trump's baseless claims about the 2020 election in Michigan court. DePerno then became a target of the probe into the alleged effort to unlawfully access voting machines.
Trump charged with 4 felony counts for attempt to overturn the 2020 election
Law
Trump charged with 4 felony counts for attempt to overturn the 2020 election
Michigan's attorney general charges 16 people in fake elector scheme
Elections
Michigan's attorney general charges 16 people in fake elector scheme

DePerno blasted the investigation, which Nessel had shifted to a special prosecutor because DePerno was both a target of the probe and her political opponent.

Paul Stablein, an attorney for DePerno, said in a statement that his client "maintains his innocence and firmly believes that these charges are not based upon any actual truth and are motivated primarily by politics rather than evidence."

Also charged was former Republican state Rep. Daire Rendon. Both Rendon and DePerno were arraigned Tuesday in Oakland County, Mich., and released on bond. Rendon could not be immediately reached for comment.
Sponsor Message

The special prosecutor, DJ Hilson of Muskegon County, said in a statement that the "process is still ongoing and not over."

In a statement of her own, Nessel said: "The alleged actions by these defendants, and others, who worked to erode trust in our election system caused undeniable harm to our democracy."

After his loss to Nessel, DePerno unsuccessfully sought election as state GOP chair.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Re: (Wednesday PO) Former Michigan GOP attorney general nominee is charged in voting machine breach

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:12 am

If you are going to cheat you need to win. There is nothing more embarrassing then cheating and losing.

Tarmaque

Re: (Wednesday PO) Former Michigan GOP attorney general nominee is charged in voting machine breach

Post by Tarmaque » Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:46 am

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:12 am
If you are going to cheat you need to win.
If you have to cheat in order to win, that's called "NASCAR."

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:47 pm

Kevin O'Leary : there's no way to sugar coat this

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:32 am

Slip Shod wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:47 pm
O'Leary works for fox news now?

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:32 am

Tarmaque wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:46 am
If you have to cheat in order to win, that's called "NASCAR."
I don't get the reference.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:59 am

Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:32 am
I don't get the reference.
More money is spent every year trying to cheat the rules of NASCAR and not get caught than is spent on every kind of cancer research worldwide. The real competition in NASCAR is not who drives best or who's set up their car best or who's pit crew is best, but who can hide their cheating best. Every year the cheating becomes more sophisticated.

It isn't the rules of the race you understand, but the technical rules. How the engine and chassis are set up, and the weight of the vehicle.

This is not exclusive to NASCAR either, although other races have different rules. For instance NASCAR requires the use of restriction plates in the intake in order to keep horsepower down to non-dangerous levels. And yet teams have found their way around that and will continue to do so for every new rule.

In World Superbike back in the 90's (Now MotoGP) they saw the bikes were getting too fast on the course so they did the same thing. Restriction plates on the intake. The next season everyone was slower... except one team. (I think Yamaha, but I could be misremembering) They said to themselves "Okay, fine." and redesigned the intake tract to incorporate the restriction. That next season they were faster than the previous season, while everyone else was slower. Then the following season everyone was just as fast because they saw what happened.

It's an endless game of innovation, rules, and cheating. Sometimes it's an innovation, but other times it's an outright cheat to get around the rules. One NASCAR team back in the day managed to make an intricately machined restriction plate that looked exactly like the required one, but inside was a series of springs and slots that opened it up under large throttle positions giving the engine more available horsepower. They got away with this for a few years before they were caught. Unlike the Superbike innovation above, this was clearly a cheat meant to circumvent the rules.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:47 am

Tarmaque wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:59 am
It's an endless game of innovation, rules, and cheating. Sometimes it's an innovation, but other times it's an outright cheat to get around the rules. One NASCAR team back in the day managed to make an intricately machined restriction plate that looked exactly like the required one, but inside was a series of springs and slots that opened it up under large throttle positions giving the engine more available horsepower. They got away with this for a few years before they were caught. Unlike the Superbike innovation above, this was clearly a cheat meant to circumvent the rules.
The geek in me loves this more. NASCAR would get a lot of new fans if they turned it into a realty show where the teams brag to the camera about how they are cheating, and the rules officels keep trying to catch them.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:18 pm

Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:32 am
Slip Shod wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:47 pm
O'Leary works for fox news now?
Another example of what is so prevalent in our society today - hell with what's being said let's focus on the messenger .
The Fox network is no longer in the Trump camp - hasn't been for a while
And it's all around us, everyone's doing it. We're all focusing on who's saying it. The focus is .. is he one of ours or is he one of theirs not on what's being said

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:09 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:18 pm
Another example of what is so prevalent in our society today - hell with what's being said let's focus on the messenger .
I was surprised to see him working as a pundit. I found it interesting. As far as "Focus on the messenger" the messager here, O'leary, is someone I respect. You seem to jump to a lot of conclusions about me. I simply comment on what is interesting to me.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:20 pm

Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:47 am
The geek in me loves this more. NASCAR would get a lot of new fans if they turned it into a realty show where the teams brag to the camera about how they are cheating, and the rules officels keep trying to catch them.
I wish they'd split most racing into two camps: One that's basically IROC (International Race Of Champions) where every driver has an identical car, chosen by lottery at the beginning of the race.

The other would be an unlimited race. The car has to fit in a pre-determined box of explicit dimensions and have no more and no less than four wheels touching the ground. Engine, weight, shape, tire compound, fuel system, suspension, and anything else you can think of is fair game. Safety? Screw the driver. If they signed up for this race they should know the dangers. Whether they have a proper cage and fire suppression system is between them and the owner/team.

I would also be okay with a factory race class, where every driver drove a bone stock factory car that must be available from any manufacturer's dealership and conform to all the highway rules in the country where the race is taking place. There also have to be a minimum number of that express model of car produced by the manufacturer to qualify, so they can't make six or seven high-spec cars just for racing. Call it 10,000 or something. The race teams are not allowed to make any changes to the car aside from tires. (Most races would shred any factory tire in a few laps.) So you'd get Mustang v/s Camero v/s Charger v/s Porsche, and so forth. The minimum number of produced cars would keep out the true exotics and boutique manufacturers.

I think any of these races would be a lot more interesting to watch than NASCAR. (Personally I'd rather watch Moto GP, but that's just me. Never was a fan of oval tracks.)

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:24 pm

Guide : You seem to jump to a lot of conclusions about me. I simply comment on what is interesting to me.
-
I haven't come to a conclusion about you Guide. A conclusion means something is all this or all that.
I'm happy you included the word 'seem' in your take on me - otherwise that would be a conclusion

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:47 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:20 pm
Screw the driver. If they signed up for this race they should know the dangers.
I've seen that movie...

"I want to shake his hand"

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:48 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:24 pm
I haven't come to a conclusion about you Guide. A conclusion means something is all this or all that.
I'm happy you included the word 'seem' in your take on me - otherwise that would be a conclusion
Of course. As much as I like to think I'm never wrong, the best indicator of future performance is past performance.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:11 pm

Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:47 pm
I've seen that movie...
That's a terrible movie. A hilariously terrible movie.