(Thursday PO) These interns took selfies with all 100 senators. Here's what they discovered

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

GuideToACrazyWorld

(Thursday PO) These interns took selfies with all 100 senators. Here's what they discovered

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:27 am

What's the difference between Bigfoot and elected representatives intent on avoiding the press?

One can be nearly impossible to find ... the other is Bigfoot.

That is why we at NPR had to be impressed with what a group of eight interns in Alaska Senator Lisa Murkowski's office have accomplished. In just three short weeks, these interns doggedly tracked down all 100 senators, and took a selfie with them.

We wanted to hear more about what those interns learned about the senators over the course of their adventure.

NPR's Scott Detrow interviewed two of the interns, Lillian Yang and Claire Moreland. Here's how they described some of the senators:
Sponsor Message
The most fun senator

Now that's how you take a group selfie.
Office of Senator Murkowski

Yang and Moreland told NPR the most fun senator was New Jersey Senator Cory Booker, who has a reputation for his warm and personable demeanor.

"Senator Booker was just sincerely delightful," Moreland said. "And he was so kind and respectful and genuine."

He is also the ideal selfie candidate: Not only does he have a big smile, he also stands at 6'3", giving him the needed wingspan to snap a selfie with everyone in it.
The most elusive senator

Senator Sinema is known to take her fitness seriously and is an avid marathon runner.

Although she was not the last senator to be found, Arizona Senator Kyrsten Sinema was the hardest to track down, Moreland told us.

This should not be surprising. Senator Sinema is a known fitness enthusiast and, as legend has it, she can run a mile under 7 minutes.

Nevertheless, the independent senator from Arizona was not quick enough to escape the camera shutters of the Murkowski interns.
The dreamiest senator

At just 36 years old, Jon Ossoff is the youngest senator in Congress.

The interns said senator Booker was the most fun to snap a selfie with, but with a little prodding from Moreland and Detrow, Yang confessed to having another favorite.

MORELAND: Lillian, I think you had another favorite senator, didn't you?

YANG: I had a personal favorite.

DETROW: Well, who was the personal favorite? You're teasing it. You got to let us know.

YANG: Personal favorite was Senator Ossoff.

Sponsor Message

Yang did not detail exactly why Georgia Senator Jon Ossoff was her favorite; however, she is not alone in her affinity for him.

Senator Ossoff boasts a healthy following of smitten internet fans — a community that even crosses borders and includes an Instagram fan account.
The longest holdout

While Senator Sinema might have been the hardest to pin down, Minnesota Senator Amy Klobuchar took the longest to track down, Moreland and Yang said.

"We actually were waiting outside the Senate floor for hours," Yang said.

Murkowski's previous cohort of interns were the first take up the senator selfies challenge, but only managed to get 75 of them.

The Murkowski interns finally managed to nab their 100th senator selfie with some assistance from their colleagues in Klobuchar's office.

"Eventually, [Klobuchar's] interns heard about it because we were blowing up on Twitter and her interns helped us get Senator Klobuchar off the floor to take a picture of us."

Now that's true bipartisanship.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Re: (Thursday PO) These interns took selfies with all 100 senators. Here's what they discovered

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:28 am

Something a little fun for a change

Slip Shod

Re: (Thursday PO) These interns took selfies with all 100 senators. Here's what they discovered

Post by Slip Shod » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:04 pm

I just learned they had a women's Congressional softball game back in July 2023, 15th consecutive year now.
I must have been sleeping that day. I don't remember it being reported or covered. Sounds as if it could have been fun too
Don't know who called balls and strikes, but a supreme Court Justice would have been great

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:28 pm

Newsweek article
Rent Is Outpacing Wages the Most in These 9 Cities
BY GIULIA CARBONARO ON 8/17/23 AT 9:34 AM EDT

but I'm sure it has nothing to do with biden's out of control spending and inflation
probably Trump's fault
• I guess you all know our forefathers in writing the Constitution had the insight to look down through the years and had the wisdom to understand political infighting so being found guilty of a felony that cannot stop you from running & being elected President . But you knew that right

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:59 pm

Chinese Dictator Xi Jinping Demands ‘Patience’ as Economy Crumbles
-
I've been seeing forecasts of this for a year now. This is where things get spicy and dangerous. Xi may divert the people's attention from the dismal hardship of their economy and want and start a war. Get the people's focus off the economy and on something else. It's an old political side step.
Not only that but there's been devastating floods wiping out crops, towns & cities this year from the monsoons, terrible flooding

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:15 pm

See how this works, where this is going - Democrats have turned politics into warfare. What goes around comes around, I've told you this before

https://americanreveille.com/news/breit ... rosecutor/