( Wednesday NO PO) Weird Ways to Work

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

( Wednesday NO PO) Weird Ways to Work

Post by Z is for Zangie » Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:48 am

The days of were dumb today and so, I made something up...lol...so what is the weirdest job you ever had? Or, what actual actions to work might be considered weird? Or the most peculiar people ( or person) you ever worked with? The brief ( three days) job I had telephone soliciting was kinda weird, for one thing, I didn't know that you reach people with unlisted phone numbers the way they do it. You get what is called a crisis cross directory, it has al the published numbers on it. There are gaps when they were unlisted...you were told just to dial them anyway....bad idea...lots of swearing and how did you get my number stuff. ( SImilar was a job I had at a dentist practice where all I did all day was call people to make appointments, and you were to focus on cash payers, not people with insurance or government assistance. ) I also bartender on weekends as a scone job, the job itself wasn't so weird, but the clientele sure was...lol..it was a neighborhood bar in a low-income area. It was in the basement of a restaurant called "The Castle), the building was literally built as a castle which was pretty cool...and it was upper end weirdly considering the bar ( which was probably a bit of a dive bar, but, it wasn't scary at all...very tacky decorated and in a basement), and the wait staff and other employees dressed in medieval garb. It was kinda fun ( and the food at the restaurant was killer...)

weird ways to work.jpg
weird ways to work.jpg (10.18 KiB) Viewed 6283 times

Slip Shod

Re: ( Wednesday NO PO) Weird Ways to Work

Post by Slip Shod » Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:24 pm

I was young, first job. Do you know the young don't realize the valuable resource that they are.
Lots of energy, able to go 12-14 hours all night long Non-Stop. Take us 3 days
We would go to a store, a big store like walmart, and change every light bulb in the entire store - a crew of 12- 14 something like that, opening I don't know how many boxes of fluorescent light bulbs (first unloading a tractor trailer full of them), climbing up and down double stacked scaffolding.. go go go. Clean, wipe down fixtures, pull all the old bulbs out fresh new ones in. Clean up, repack old bulbs for disposal. Non union eat on the run, didn't know any better, work like a dog. Flew around the country, meet another crew setting up.
Yep, oh to be young again all that energy - bust your ass work hard, play hard.
* Side thought, now that I think about it. People busting their ass right now all over the world. Their only business is surviving. I think the American youth are lazy, maybe too much entitled

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:43 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:24 pm
I was young, first job. Do you know the young don't realize the valuable resource that they are.
Lots of energy, able to go 12-14 hours all night long Non-Stop. Take us 3 days
We would go to a store, a big store like walmart, and change every light bulb in the entire store - a crew of 12- 14 something like that, opening I don't know how many boxes of fluorescent light bulbs (first unloading a tractor trailer full of them), climbing up and down double stacked scaffolding.. go go go. Clean, wipe down fixtures, pull all the old bulbs out fresh new ones in. Clean up, repack old bulbs for disposal. Non union eat on the run, didn't know any better, work like a dog. Flew around the country, meet another crew setting up.
Yep, oh to be young again all that energy - bust your ass work hard, play hard.
* Side thought, now that I think about it. People busting their ass right now all over the world. They're only business is surviving. I think the American youth are lazy, maybe too much entitled
Yeah, I remember partying all night and still getting to work on time
My parents said that about us also.....lol

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:37 pm

Z, we miss you and I've heard a couple different scenarios. One of them is you got yourself a 22 yr old shacking up boyfriend & the other story was he was 32.
When you're done flexing your hormones come on back to us

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:27 pm

@GuideToACrazyWorld @Tarmaque

We had a severe storm ( they said once in 500 years) constant lightning and thunder and rain and wind, 8 inches of rain in 4 hours

Several telephone polls were cracked or went down, the electricity went out about 9:10 EST Wednesday night, it just went back on ten minutes ago..I don't have a smartphone so I couldn't get online all this time

I have been stuck in my house ( roads closed due to flooding, no light or hot water for a shower all this time and the only thing to do was read with a book light, it was unbearably hot and not much fun...lol...two of the worst days I can remember...

Sorry for worrying everyone, I just had no way to get a hold of anyone...

I am going to spend a lot of time catching up all over the net, so, I probably won't do a NO PO till tomorrow sometime

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:27 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:37 pm
Z, we miss you and I've heard a couple different scenarios. One of them is you got yourself a 22 yr old shacking up boyfriend & the other story was he was 32.
When you're done flexing your hormones come on back to us
ha ha ha

I will never tell....lol

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:11 am

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:27 pm
So it WAS a gigolo. I understand.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:28 am

Tarmaque wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:11 am
Z is for Zangie wrote:

HA HA HA

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:38 am

Tarmaque wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:11 am
Z is for Zangie wrote:

PS: I never knew this was on old song, I have a special record of David Lee Roth singing this...it is not a 45 or a 33 1/3..I assume it is a collectors thing

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:15 pm

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:38 am
PS: I never knew this was on old song, I have a special record of David Lee Roth singing this...it is not a 45 or a 33 1/3..I assume it is a collectors thing
Oh yes. Famous song of Louis Prima and Keely Smith. David Lee Roth's was a cover. Louis Prima you'd know as the voice of Louie the King of the Apes in Disney's The Jungle Book.