( Tuesday NO PO) Today is Chop Suey Day, According to Hoyle Day & Lemon Juice Day

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

( Tuesday NO PO) Today is Chop Suey Day, According to Hoyle Day & Lemon Juice Day

Post by Z is for Zangie » Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:28 am

I have never had Chop Suey, I might like it, but I would have to look up the ingredients...

I used to play a lot of cards, specifically Spades and Pinochle, I miss it, but, I am betting my arthritis would keep me from holding even the Spades count, let alone a double-deck Pinochle hand

I love lemon...I have used the juice on fish, in tea, and few other things , but, I prefer fresh lemon when I can get that...

chop suey.jpg
chop suey.jpg (15.09 KiB) Viewed 4250 times
according to Hoyle.jpg
according to Hoyle.jpg (14.92 KiB) Viewed 4250 times
Lemon Juice.jpg
Lemon Juice.jpg (9.65 KiB) Viewed 4250 times

Slip Shod

Re: ( Tuesday NO PO) Today is Chop Suey Day, According to Hoyle Day & Lemon Juice Day

Post by Slip Shod » Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:37 pm

My earliest memories of chop suey is when I was just a young kid. This stuff was canned and you picked it up at a grocery store, nothing like the real deal.
For dinner I remember my mother opening up a couple of cans of store bought chop suey and warm it up in a soup pan and there was another smaller can of these brown twisted, fried rice sticks and the idea was you get this pile of sticks on your plate and then she comes and throws 'chop suey' over it - sorry I just start laughing thinking about it. That's what we called Chinese.

Tarmaque

Re: ( Tuesday NO PO) Today is Chop Suey Day, According to Hoyle Day & Lemon Juice Day

Post by Tarmaque » Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:13 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:37 pm
My earliest memories of chop suey is when I was just a young kid. This stuff was canned and you picked it up at a grocery store, probably nothing like the real deal.
Apparently there is a lot of argument over what "The real deal" even is. The one thing everyone seems to agree upon is that the dish did not actually originate in China, but on the west coast of the United States by Chinese immigrants. If you ever go into a real Chinese restaurant you'll never see real Chinese people eating it. Supposedly the name traces it's way back to the Mandarin words tsap seui which in turn translate as "miscellaneous leftovers." Most stories about its origin include the reheating or recooking of leftovers. So technically "Chop suey" can be just about anything, usually with meat and/or eggs added.

I just refer to it as "Old American Chinese Food," because it's what old Americans order because they don't know any better. That is, if they don't just order "Number 3! With fried rice!" The other one that drives me crazy is when people go to a Chinese restaurant and order "Sweet and Sour" anything. Yuck. There's so much better food out there if you're willing to get outside your comfort bubble.