( Thursday NO PO) Toda is National Eat Outside Day, National Matchmaker Day & National Trail Mix

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

( Thursday NO PO) Toda is National Eat Outside Day, National Matchmaker Day & National Trail Mix

Post by Z is for Zangie » Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:54 am

I love picnics, but haven't been on one in ages...we used to have family reunions at the local park along the Black River...I love romantic picnics also...

Matchmakers...do they still exist? (Unless you count online dating sites...lol...) I would be curious how well they would match me up once they got to know me and what I am looking for...

There are at least 20 different kinds of trail mix, some have M&M's, some don't, some have nuts, pretzels, etc...I like them all...lol...

eat outside.jpg
eat outside.jpg (18.07 KiB) Viewed 4122 times
matchmakers.jpg
matchmakers.jpg (15.64 KiB) Viewed 4122 times
trail mix.jpg
trail mix.jpg (12.52 KiB) Viewed 4122 times

Tarmaque

Re: ( Thursday NO PO) Toda is National Eat Outside Day, National Matchmaker Day & National Trail Mix

Post by Tarmaque » Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:43 am

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:54 am
Matchmakers...do they still exist?
Not so much in our western society, although there is a matchmaker festival in Ireland. In other cultures, particularly south Asian and middle eastern cultures, matchmakers are pretty common. However these are also cultures where there is significant gender disparity and marriages are often a monetary contract. Girls are expected to come with a dowry, and payments are often demanded by the groom's family long after the marriage. The wishes of the couple are rarely taken into account. More affluent families often use matchmakers to find good matches for their children for beneficial political marriages. Such marriages are not for love, but to combine the resources of two powerful families, or for some less powerful family to achieve a portion of influence over a more powerful family.

If I'm not mistaken there is still a strong tradition of matchmakers in some Jewish communities, but I don't have evidence for this. I've also heard rumors of matchmakers in Roma communities, but again I have no direct evidence. There may be other communities where matchmakers are common, but I have even less knowledge about them.