( Sunday NO PO) Today is National Welsh Rarebit Day, National Pastor's Spouses Day & National Bowling League Day

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

( Sunday NO PO) Today is National Welsh Rarebit Day, National Pastor's Spouses Day & National Bowling League Day

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:28 am

All these years I thought it was actually a rabbit...lol.which I would never eat...here is what they say about it;
Welsh rarebit or Welsh rabbit is a dish consisting of a hot cheese-based sauce served over slices of toasted bread. The original 18th-century name of the dish was the jocular "Welsh rabbit", which was later reinterpreted as "rarebit", as the dish contains no rabbit. I would never eat rabbit, but, I doubt I would like rarebit either, due to the cheese mostly...lol

Even if I was a protestant and not agnostic these days...I would make a terrible Pastor's wife for a plethora of reasons...lol...

It actually says "U.S." Bowling Leagues, but that seemed redundant ( and also unnecessary) to me, as National is referring to the U.S. I used to be an awesome bowler, I miss it in ways, though now arthritic knees and an unwillingness to be obligated on a regular basis keeps me from doing so.
welsh rarebit.jpg
welsh rarebit.jpg (14.2 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
pastor's spouses.jpg
pastor's spouses.jpg (8.99 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
bowling league day.jpg
bowling league day.jpg (8.82 KiB) Viewed 4453 times

Z is for Zangie

Re: ( Sunday NO PO) Today is National Welsh Rarebit Day, National Pastor's Spouses Day & National Bowling League Day

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:30 am

My local public library is advertising for a board member for their board. I applied. It is unlikely I will be even considered, let alone hired, but, thought it was worth a shot and something I would enjoy. (One of the current members is a Dr etc., so I assume they are looking for higher-level professionals than I am.) With a more advanced degree. And would be doing something for the community.

Tarmaque

Re: ( Sunday NO PO) Today is National Welsh Rarebit Day, National Pastor's Spouses Day & National Bowling League Day

Post by Tarmaque » Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:00 am

Welsh Rarebit is sort of the British equivalent of fondue, kinda. It's basically an open-faced grill cheese sandwich, usually flavored with mustard or pepper. It's a basic part of British "Pub Grub," which also includes Lancashire Hot Pot, Scotch Eggs, Fish and Chips, Pork pies and Cornish Pasties, and such things as Bangers and Mash. (Bangers being a term for sausages of various flavors.)

I've made Welsh Rarebit a few times, but only once dependent on a recipe. It's quite tasty if a bit rich and really easy, but you must use a fairly sturdy bread.