(tuesday PO) Hunter Biden indicted on firearms charges

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

GuideToACrazyWorld

(tuesday PO) Hunter Biden indicted on firearms charges

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:46 am

https://www.npr.org/2023/09/14/11995301 ... ms-charges

Hunter Biden has been indicted on felony gun charges weeks after a plea deal struck between President Biden's son and prosecutors fell apart. The charges possibly set the stage for yet another high-profile criminal trial in the middle of the 2024 election as President Biden is seeking reelection.

Special counsel David Weiss charged Biden with three counts: two for knowingly making false written claims that he was not an unlawful user of, or addicted to, any stimulant, narcotic drug or other controlled substance when purchasing a firearm. There is another charge for illegal possession of a firearm. This is in connection with a gun he bought in 2018.
Sponsor Message
A special counsel will indict Hunter Biden in gun case this month, DOJ says
Politics
A special counsel will indict Hunter Biden in gun case this month, DOJ says

The White House declined to comment, noting the investigation into the president's son was an independent inquiry.

Abbe Lowell, Hunter Biden's attorney, accused Weiss of "bending to political pressure" from Republicans.

"We believe these charges are barred by the agreement the prosecutors made with Mr. Biden, the recent rulings by several federal courts that this statute is unconstitutional, and the facts that he did not violate that law, and we plan to demonstrate all of that in court," Lowell said in a statement.

Meanwhile, former President Donald Trump took to his social media platform, Truth Social, to argue Democrats opened a "proverbial pandora's box," though he noted that these charges don't implicate the sitting president.
Judge says she's not ready to accept Hunter Biden's plea deal
Law
Judge says she's not ready to accept Hunter Biden's plea deal

The development comes a month after U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland appointed Weiss as special counsel in the investigation into the president's son.

Earlier this year, Biden agreed to plead guilty to two misdemeanor offenses related to his filing of federal income taxes. Federal authorities also charged him with a felony firearm offense, for which he agreed to enter a pretrial diversion agreement that allows him to avoid prosecution.
Garland names special counsel in Hunter Biden investigation
Law
Garland names special counsel in Hunter Biden investigation

But that deal fell apart in July when the judge in the case demanded that lawyers from both sides make clear that the deal did not convey broad immunity offered to Biden from prosecution on his business dealings and foreign lobbying.

But the sides couldn't agree and the plea deal fell apart.
The indictment comes days after Biden impeachment inquiry

The two are not connected investigations.

House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., said Tuesday the House would initiate an impeachment inquiry into President Biden, arguing Biden lied to "the American people about his own knowledge of his family's foreign business dealings."
Speaker McCarthy says House to start an impeachment inquiry into President Biden
Politics
Speaker McCarthy says House to start an impeachment inquiry into President Biden

But Republicans have not proven any connection between Hunter Biden's business dealings and President Biden.

Some are alleging corruption around Hunter's business dealings when Biden was vice president. But House committee chairmen who are pushing impeachment haven't produced any evidence that the president received any financial benefit.

The Biden campaign blamed McCarthy's impeachment decision on Trump, who is vying to lead his party in the 2024 presidential race.

Still, Rep. James Comer on Wednesday called for a bigger investigation into the president and his son.
Sponsor Message

"Today's charges against Hunter Biden are a very small start," he said in an online statement. "But unless U.S. Attorney Weiss investigates everyone involved in the fraud schemes and influence peddling, it will be clear President Biden's DOJ is protecting Hunter Biden and the big guy."

Tarmaque

Re: (tuesday PO) Hunter Biden indicted on firearms charges

Post by Tarmaque » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:43 pm

Buttery males.

The Magats want so desperately for this to be a thing, but every time they try to connect Hunter's problems with Joe it ends up not existing.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:48 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:43 pm
Buttery males.

The Magats want so desperately for this to be a thing, but every time they try to connect Hunter's problems with Joe it ends up not existing.
Politics, an unsavory craft. Let's see if Papa Joe steps in to intervene - that's why we have the freedom of information act. Don't see any national security interest in this one, but who knows
I believe there are some five star facilities for those special felons and those of the privileged class who crossed the center line of good judgment. Facilities with tennis courts and swimming pools, perhaps even call girl visits

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:01 am

Tarmaque wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:43 pm
I would say not one but two people going on record from the IRS saying the DOJ interfered with their investigation is reason enough to look into things. If there is nothing there there is nothing there, but that's really looks bad.

We do now know that Biden knew more about his son's dealing that he first claimed. Again reason to investigate.

I doubt we will find anything. Even if Hunter was selling access to his dad, Joe is far to politic astutue to leave a trail, but still these things are worth looking into. Especially the actions of the DOJ, even if they were not acting at the behest of the president, the accusation being made are pretty appalling.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:28 am

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:01 am
I would say not one but two people going on record from the IRS saying the DOJ interfered
Actually, just today a member of the DOJ refuted the "whistleblower's" account of what was said about being told they couldn't investigate him. So much for that argument.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:04 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:28 am
Actually, just today a member of the DOJ refuted the "whistleblower's" account of what was said about being told they couldn't investigate him. So much for that argument.
So you are saying if the accused refutes a claim we shouldn't investigate? Following that logic, we never should investigate any accusations.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:53 am

Okay folks, here's the download as I see it AND it's coming. The next great ideological battle is that this
Democrat vs Republican political struggle will give way to the new ideological war .. States rights vs
the Orwellian Big Brother intrusive state, federalism
It will be heated and it will be for real . Every bit is real as the civil war of some 150 yrs. ago in intensity. And there will be States seceding from the Union because of it. I'm not nuts, it's coming.
That will be our near future political battle. Not the Democrat versus Republican, but federalism versus states rights
It's been brewing for a while and it's about to take off in the near future

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:20 am

Slip Shod wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:53 am
The next great ideological battle is that this
Democrat vs Republican political struggle will give way to the new ideological war .. States rights vs
the Orwellian Big Brother intrusive state, federalism
Couple of problems here. If you think the GOP is any less Orwellian then the DNC. GOP controlled both houses and the executive branch when we got the Patriot Act, which was the precursor to Obama's surveillance projects. Not to mention members of the GOP getting involved with censorship, and don't even get my started on the "Religious right". Voting DNC vs GOP is never about liberty or oppression, it's about what oppression you prefer.

As far as states rights, a state government can be just as Orwellian as a federal government. Don't mistake state's rights for individual rights. They are rarely the same thing. although, I do think both matter.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:59 am

Thanks for your response Mr Guide, but I think time will prove me to be right. I believe it'll be going that way within the next 8 to 10 years, we'll see. A resistance from being ruled from the top down will grow at the same pace the federal government tries to move to integrated itself into a globalist model of government, still from the top down but those elites/bureaucrats who want to rule over us are so much farther away
Capture the big picture Mr Guide - envision the future
It'll be the American Spirit Mr Guide. It'll be a coming together of those who were once opposed in Party setting those differences aside. It'll be the American Spirit lit again in common cause
(At least for many of the country)

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:29 pm

Hunter Biden has a mugshot at his arrest & fingerprinting, but it's not being released ?
While Trump and all his associates who were booked, their mugshots were released ?
Are we talking again of some kind of a double standard ?

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:26 am

Slip Shod wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:29 pm
Hunter Biden has a mugshot at his arrest & fingerprinting, but it's not being released ?
While Trump and all his associates who were booked, their mugshots were released ?
Are we talking again of some kind of a double standard ?
Trump wanted his released...it works for him and his crazy fans...as far as I know, the fingerprinting wasn't...

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:28 am

Slip Shod wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:59 am
Thanks for your response Mr Guide, but I think time will prove me to be right. I believe it'll be going that way within the next 8 to 10 years, we'll see. A resistance from being ruled from the top down will grow at the same pace the federal government tries to move to integrated itself into a globalist model of government, still from the top down but those elites/bureaucrats who want to rule over us are so much farther away
Capture the big picture Mr Guide - envision the future
It'll be the American Spirit Mr Guide. It'll be a coming together of those who were once opposed in Party setting those differences aside. It'll be the American Spirit lit again in common cause
(At least for many of the country)
Well, I personally will fight for my right to believe what I want and not be bullied or coerced into things I think are wrong...I will NEVER be on your side, if you remain with the same ideas you have now...your vision would hurt me and many other people...there is no common cause with your particular views...

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:17 am

I guess I went and unintentionally went evil again.
You got to calm down a little bit Z. You let the things people say get to you. The way I'm built or my personality it's going to take a whole lot of pushing and shoving and hit me with a ball bat before I get really pissed off. But this little stuff like words and things.. do you remember that childhood rhyme thing which went sticks the stones may break my bones but words will never harm me. There's some wisdom there.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:13 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:17 am
I guess I went and unintentionally went evil again.
You got to calm down a little bit Z. You let the things people say get to you. The way I'm built or my personality it's going to take a whole lot of pushing and shoving and hit me with a ball bat before I get really pissed off. But this little stuff like words and things.. do you remember that childhood rhyme thing which went sticks the stones may break my bones but words will never harm me. There's some wisdom there.
Calling me fat or something is just an insult, and I don't get angry, I am more likely to be hurt... and it does hurt one's feelings by the way, just because it doesn't you, doesn't mean it doesn't other people. But, what you do is more serious and I can't take it lightly.

It has more to do than feelings or general insults. You dismiss who I am, and that is something I am sensitive to.