(Wednesday PO) House Republicans to hold first impeachment hearing into President Biden next week

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

GuideToACrazyWorld

(Wednesday PO) House Republicans to hold first impeachment hearing into President Biden next week

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:02 am

https://www.npr.org/2023/09/19/12003642 ... en-hearing
The House Oversight Committee plans to hold its first hearing on the impeachment inquiry of President Biden on Thursday, September 28.

Speaker McCarthy says House to start an impeachment inquiry into President Biden

"The hearing will focus on constitutional and legal questions surrounding the president's involvement in corruption and abuse of public office," said a committee spokesman. "The committee also intends to subpoena Hunter and James Biden's personal and business bank records as early as this week. The Oversight Committee will continue to follow the evidence and money trail to provide the transparency and accountability that Americans demand from their government."

White House spokesman Ian Sams dismissed the hearing as a distraction from ongoing divisions among House Republicans.

"Extreme House Republicans are already telegraphing their plans to try to distract from their own chaotic inability to govern and the impacts of it on the country," Sams said in a statement. "Staging a political stunt hearing in the waning days before they may shut down the government reveals their true priorities: To them, baseless personal attacks on President Biden are more important than preventing a government shutdown and the pain it would inflict on American families."

GuideToACrazyWorld

Re: (Wednesday PO) House Republicans to hold first impeachment hearing into President Biden next week

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:03 am

This dovetails nicely into yesterdays conversation. So I said that I thought there was enough their to warrant an investigation, and I stand by that. I do not think there is enough there to start an impeachment hearing. I'm a little concerned we are going to start seeing impeachment hearings on every president going forward as long as the opposing party controls the house.

Tarmaque

Re: (Wednesday PO) House Republicans to hold first impeachment hearing into President Biden next week

Post by Tarmaque » Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:38 am

This is 100% about McCarthy holding on to his speakership, which he is wholly unsuited to hold. He only did it to please Von Golfcart, who doesn't want to be the only candidate in the election next year who has been impeached. The hard-right wing of the House wasn't going to let him get anything done unless he agreed to this bogus impeachment inquiry, and there's the bigger issue of a government shutdown looming by the end of October. The "investigation" itself is going to be a joke on every level, and will be shown to be inside of a week. I'll be curious to see which Democrats the Republicans in charge of the committee throw out the way the Democrats did in the January 6 investigation. On the other hand, there are far fewer (but not none) grandstanding attention whores in the Democratic caucus in the House.

Note that this committee includes Marjory Taylor Greene, Lauren Boebert, and Jim Jordan, under the leadership of James Comer. That right there guarantees this will be a circus. It doesn't help that Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Katie Porter are on the other side. Be prepared for a lot of unintelligible shout fests between this lot, and very few intelligent questions.