(saturday PO) Thomas attended fundraisers for conservative political group, ProPublica report says

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

GuideToACrazyWorld

(saturday PO) Thomas attended fundraisers for conservative political group, ProPublica report says

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:41 am

https://www.npr.org/2023/09/22/12011544 ... reme-court
New conflict of interest allegations have surfaced about Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas.

In a lengthy article published on Friday, ProPublica reports that Thomas over the years has maintained a close relationship with the Koch network, one of the largest and most influential political organizations in the country, and that the justice, on at least two occasions, spoke at fundraising events for the conservative organization.

According to ProPublica, Thomas has at least twice been brought in to speak at private dinners for large donors to the Koch network. That put him in what ProPublica called "the extraordinary position" of having served as "a fundraising draw" for a network that has repeatedly brought cases before the Supreme Court.
Sponsor Message
Now-released forms reveal more trips gifted to Justice Clarence Thomas by Harlan Crow
Law
Now-released forms reveal more trips gifted to Justice Clarence Thomas by Harlan Crow

In 2021, one of the Koch entities, Americans for Prosperity, successfully challenged state laws that required nonprofits to disclose the identity of their large donors. And this year, the network is supporting a challenge to a longstanding Supreme Court regulatory precedent.

Thomas did not recuse himself from the 2021 case, nor is there any indication he will recuse himself from this term's case, a challenge to a nearly 40-year-old Supreme Court precedent, Chevron v. Natural Resources Defense Council, in which the justices ruled unanimously that courts should defer to a federal agency's interpretation of an ambiguous statute as long as that interpretation is "reasonable."

The newest report is the latest in a series about Thomas from ProPublica spotlighting conflict-of-interest allegations that include undisclosed luxury travel and gifts paid for by a billionaire GOP megadonor.

Slip Shod

Re: (saturday PO) Thomas attended fundraisers for conservative political group, ProPublica report says

Post by Slip Shod » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:24 am

'The Koch political machine, which fuels the most powerful donor network in conservative politics, is declaring itself as part of the NeverTrump effort for 2024, aiming to deny former President Donald Trump a third nomination for the White House.Feb 5, 2023'

Supreme Court justices are invited to speak freely many times, many places.
The Koch Brothers definitely are not Trump sympathizers - I think one may of passed away.
You may say, but I didn't write it. No, you didn't but I believe it was posted with bias intent
In these days in which we live where can one go and speak without someone becoming politically offended. Everything seems to be political now. The Justice could speak before a group of animal lovers, dogs in particular and someone would complain that he hates trees because dogs piss on trees. That's how stupid it's gotten. These are the times we live in - EVERYTHING is political speech.
And by the way, it's guaranteed to us in the Constitution. It's called free speech. I'm thinking we're figuratively dealing with a lynching of Clarence Thomas. It's an out to get him thing

Z is for Zangie

Re: (saturday PO) Thomas attended fundraisers for conservative political group, ProPublica report says

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:13 am

Slip Shod wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:24 am

'The Koch political machine, which fuels the most powerful donor network in conservative politics, is declaring itself as part of the NeverTrump effort for 2024, aiming to deny former President Donald Trump a third nomination for the White House.Feb 5, 2023'

Supreme Court justices are invited to speak freely many times, many places.
The Koch Brothers definitely are not Trump sympathizers - I think one may of passed away.
You may say, but I didn't write it. No, you didn't but I believe it was posted with bias intent
In these days in which we live where can one go and speak without someone becoming politically offended. Everything seems to be political now. The Justice could speak before a group of animal lovers, dogs in particular and someone would complain that he hates trees because dogs piss on trees. That's how stupid it's gotten. These are the times we live in - EVERYTHING is political speech.
And by the way, it's guaranteed to us in the Constitution. It's called free speech. I'm thinking we're figuratively dealing with a lynching of Clarence Thomas. It's an out to get him thing

Sigh, Slip...you do not understand that Supreme Court Justices are at all times ( and liberals have to follow the same rules, which they do) when dealing with the public to be non-partisan, Thomas is not...they also are held to a different standard as are other government employees, there is the Hatch Act for instance...He isn't allowed to do what he is doing, it is considered corrupt...he is supposed to stay out of politics as military people do. And he certainly shouldn't be hobnobbing with people who have cases in the Supreme Court, that is the objection.

You don't understand the constitution or the norms and expectations that are considered necessary for the country.
The Koch brothers loved him at one time, they donated to him....even they have soured on him. Listen to the powerful people in power on your side who know what a threat Trump is..and why he can never be president again. Stop listening to the liars and grifters who have gaslighted so many of you. And are telling you lies.

There are rules for people in government and how they comport themselves.

And no, the First Amendment is specifically about the government not being allowed to censure you, or punish you, it has nothing to do with other people disagreeing, or the consequences of free speech, you can say what you want, but, no one has to agree or allow it...we aren't the government...
Also, it is not an unlimited right, there are things you can't say or do even under the First Amendment.

And please stop with the conspiracy theories, they are lies...

PS: Guide just posts stories from NPR which was always one of the main sources here...some he agrees with, some he does not, but, his posting the piece says neither, if he comments in the thread then he would be expressing his positions...he is not biased. For Pete's sake, he is right-leaning, probably a little Libertarian at least,...so there is no bias and please apologize for insulting him...thanks

Also, you are the most biased poster on here at the moment...Guide is center-right, I am center left and so is Tarm, none of us are extremists of any kind, unlike a lot of the people you read and listen to.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:08 am

I guess if it's one thing I am good at Z it's getting your juices flowing

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:18 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:08 am
You're good at dismissing me and my thoughts, and opinions, that is not a good thing. And you question my honesty, those are character assassinations and I am sure most people don't like them. If anything, that is a requirement for me with people...when men especially do this and don't treat me respectfully. Like I am some idiot or something.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:18 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:08 am
PS: I like you fine when you aren't talking politics...

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:04 am

Slip Shod wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:24 am
I literally didn't even read it. I don't do politics on the weekend. And as long as I've been posting here, I just post the first available story on NPR without reading. So I'm not sure how I could have biased intent when I don't even know what the article says. LOL