( Monday NO PO) Today is Comic Book Day, One Hit Wonder Day & Lobster Day

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

( Monday NO PO) Today is Comic Book Day, One Hit Wonder Day & Lobster Day

Post by Z is for Zangie » Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:23 am

I love Super Heros but really wasn't aware of Comic Books when I was a kid...or where you got them. I have since read a few here and there ( and I do have some Graphic Novels) and I bought a box of The Flinstone Comic Books at a Flea Market that are pretty cool.

There are many one-hit-wonders, a few from the 70s that came to mind right away ( which is when I listened to music the most as a teenager): Sometimes When We Touch, Afternoon Delight, One toke Over the Line & Precious & Few...I'm sure if I thought longer and googled I would remember more. OOOh, one of my favorites just came to mind...Escape ( The Pina Colada Song) What are some that come to your mind?...

I love Lobster, I am lucky if I get it twice a year or so on special occasions, if I could afford it it would be much more than that...
Comic Books.png
Comic Books.png (34.35 KiB) Viewed 2094 times
One Hit Wonders.jpg
One Hit Wonders.jpg (11.1 KiB) Viewed 2094 times
Lobster.jpg
Lobster.jpg (14.63 KiB) Viewed 2094 times

Tarmaque

Re: ( Monday NO PO) Today is Comic Book Day, One Hit Wonder Day & Lobster Day

Post by Tarmaque » Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:15 am

We would get comic books sometimes at the grocery store when I was a kid, but not very often. Instead my Dad would buy them and I'd read them later. But he liked goofy ones that I wasn't particularly interested in as a kid. He liked Conan the Barbarian comics, and Howard the Duck. He'd also buy Weird Tales and that kind of thing. Someone at my Grandmother's house liked Archie comics, as well as Casper the Friendly Ghost and Wendy the Good Little Witch. To this day I have no idea who was buying them or how old they were.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:36 am

I've been watching Sabine's videos for years now. I love her acerbic sense of humor and devil-may-care attitude towards her peers. She's often right too, although they hate to admit it. I once read a comment on one of her videos "Before I watched Sabine I didn't understand this stuff, but after watching her I feel I don't understand it at a much higher level!" Much of what she talks about is highly mathematical and often hypothetical, but she does try to explain stuff in terms us mere mortals can understand. And she's funny.

She got famous on YouTube. Now it helps fund her research in quantum gravity
The dark days of the COVID-19 pandemic helped transform Sabine Hossenfelder into an unlikely social media star. In the process, she has raised a few eyebrows among her fellow scientists. She's also made an important discovery that just might bode well for her future research.

Hossenfelder turned to YouTube "to keep my sanity" when she was unable to go to her office at Germany's Frankfurt Institute for Advanced Studies. Actually, you might say she returned. She'd started a channel in 2007 but just hadn't been very active. Then came a rebranding — Science without the gobbledygook. Today, she has 1 million subscribers (up from 50,000) and also enjoys a strong and growing contingent of Patreon supporters.

Several times a month, the theoretical physicist and mathematician drops a new video, dispensing her dry wit and pithy wisdom to a loyal fan base of nerds across the internet.
She takes her role as a science communicator seriously, aiming her videos at an audience seeking context. "People can go to my channel and get the brief, 20-minute summary," Hossenfelder says. "They don't have to read a whole book or download a review article, which they won't understand anyway."...
(Much more on NPR) https://www.npr.org/2023/09/23/11994697 ... ssenfelder

I've been following her for almost 4 years now.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:22 pm

One hit wonders ..

wild cherry..
Play that Funky Music

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:32 am

Slip Shod wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:22 pm
One hit wonders ..