( Friday NO PO) Today is National Coffee Day, National Urban Wildlife Refuge Day & National VFW Day

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

( Friday NO PO) Today is National Coffee Day, National Urban Wildlife Refuge Day & National VFW Day

Post by Z is for Zangie » Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:08 pm

mmmmm...coffee, for someone who never drank it for many years I sure do like it now...lol...

I belonged to the local VFW for years, my grandmother was a member ( through her dad, and I was through mine( Korean War)She was the president of the Women's Auxillary for many years, even before my time...the local club was a private, key card club, and I got to know all the regulars. We marched in the parades and sold poppies on Memorial Day, but mostly socialized...lol...lots of Vietnam Vets at the time in my life. Most of whom were pretty scarred by the experience.

Here is what the site says about Urban Wildlife Refuges:
URBAN NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE DAY | SEPTEMBER 29
On September 29, Urban National Wildlife Refuge Day celebrates the 101 urban national wildlife refuges in the United States. That is nearly 1/5 of the country's total refuges.

To be defined as an urban national wildlife refuge, the unit must be within 25 miles of an urban area of 250,000 people or greater. These refuges provide communities with access to substantial green space for outdoor recreation including hiking, bird watching, canoeing, fishing, and hunting. They also offer a wealth of educational opportunities. Over 80% of the U.S. population lives in urban areas. Having access to a wildlife area not only offers recreational activities but also improves our quality of life.

The first urban national wildlife refuge established in the United States was the John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Established in 1972, the 1000-acre refuge also includes a 285-acre freshwater tidal marsh. Refuges like this offer opportunities to see wildlife up close and personal. Since then, the U.S. Department of Interior has designated 100 more urban wildlife refuges in more than 30 states.

The day encourages us to explore the wildlife refuges near where we live. Enjoy nature at its best while hiking or canoeing. Take in the beauty and breathe in the fresh air.

Coffee day.jpg
VFW.jpg
VFW.jpg (16.51 KiB) Viewed 2158 times
urban animal refuge.jpg
urban animal refuge.jpg (14.51 KiB) Viewed 2158 times

Slip Shod

Re: ( Friday NO PO) Today is National Coffee Day, National Urban Wildlife Refuge Day & National VFW Day

Post by Slip Shod » Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:00 pm

10-4 on a cup of coffee Z - I'll do maybe 3-4 cups of black coffee a day & and occasionally, once in a great while, I will take it with cream and a half teaspoon of sugar and then it has to be real cream none of that substitute
I also enjoy it cup of black coffee room temperature, it doesn't have to be hot, may even enjoy it more that way. Yep, guilty as charged, I'm a weirdo

Z is for Zangie

Re: ( Friday NO PO) Today is National Coffee Day, National Urban Wildlife Refuge Day & National VFW Day

Post by Z is for Zangie » Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:13 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:00 pm
10-4 on a cup of coffee Z - I'll do maybe 3-4 cups of black coffee a day & and occasionally, once in a great while, I will take it with cream and a half teaspoon of sugar and then it has to be real cream none of that substitute
I also enjoy it cup of black coffee room temperature, it doesn't have to be hot, may even enjoy it more that way. Yep, guilty as charged, I'm a weirdo
I like sugar and half and half or Dunkin Donuts creamer which is milk and cream...I have two cups every morning, Rick is an all-day coffee drinker. I sometimes think it is the sugar and cream I like, as I don't use them otherwise.