( Sunday NO PO) Today is Black Dog Day, Homemade Cookies Day & Pumpkin Spice Day

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

( Sunday NO PO) Today is Black Dog Day, Homemade Cookies Day & Pumpkin Spice Day

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:52 am

As you know, I am more of a cat girl, and black cats are my favorite. This day for Black Dogs is similar to the Black cat thing where people think they are bad luck or evil and they are often hard to get adopted at places that have pets that need homes. Black Dogs are hard to get adopted also. Personally, I think they are cool-looking dogs and I have no problem with the color black.

mmm...Homemade cookies...my favorites are Snowballs, Iced Sugar cookies, Peanut Butter cookies, and Chocolate Chip cookies, all of which are hard to duplicate in store-bought versions.

I like Pumpkin Pie and Pumpkin seeds a lot, but, I don't care for their flavor in other stuff like coffee and all kinds of things now...what do you think?
black dog.jpg
black dog.jpg (10.27 KiB) Viewed 2296 times
Pumpkin Spice.jpg
Pumpkin Spice.jpg (10.43 KiB) Viewed 2296 times
Homemade Cookies.jpg
Homemade Cookies.jpg (13.05 KiB) Viewed 2295 times

Tarmaque

Re: ( Sunday NO PO) Today is Black Dog Day, Homemade Cookies Day & Pumpkin Spice Day

Post by Tarmaque » Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:28 am

Black Dog (Folklore)
The black dog is a supernatural, spectral, or demonic hellhound originating from English folklore that has also been seen throughout Europe and the Americas. It is usually unnaturally large with glowing red or yellow eyes, is often connected with the Devil (as an English incarnation of the Hellhound), and is sometimes an omen of death. It is sometimes associated with electrical storms (such as Black Shuck's appearance at Bungay, Suffolk), and also with crossroads, barrows (as a type of fairy hound), places of execution and ancient pathways.

Black dogs are generally regarded as sinister or malevolent, and a few (such as the Barghest and Shuck) are said to be directly harmful. Some black dogs, however, such as the Gurt Dog in Somerset, are said to behave benevolently as guardian black dogs, guiding travelers at night onto the right path or protecting them from danger. The black dog is a recognized folkloric motif.
(Much longer article on Wikipedia)

Z is for Zangie

Re: ( Sunday NO PO) Today is Black Dog Day, Homemade Cookies Day & Pumpkin Spice Day

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:35 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:28 am
Black Dog (Folklore)
The black dog is a supernatural, spectral, or demonic hellhound originating from English folklore that has also been seen throughout Europe and the Americas. It is usually unnaturally large with glowing red or yellow eyes, is often connected with the Devil (as an English incarnation of the Hellhound), and is sometimes an omen of death. It is sometimes associated with electrical storms (such as Black Shuck's appearance at Bungay, Suffolk), and also with crossroads, barrows (as a type of fairy hound), places of execution and ancient pathways.

Black dogs are generally regarded as sinister or malevolent, and a few (such as the Barghest and Shuck) are said to be directly harmful. Some black dogs, however, such as the Gurt Dog in Somerset, are said to behave benevolently as guardian black dogs, guiding travelers at night onto the right path or protecting them from danger. The black dog is a recognized folkloric motif.
(Much longer article on Wikipedia)

Thanks

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:43 pm

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:35 pm
Thanks
You're welcome.

In some traditions Black Dogs are considered a "psychopomp." A psychopomp is not evil as such, but is a special sort of spirit that guides souls to the after life. "The Grim Reaper" is the traditional image of a psychopomp in the west, but there are many others. The Valkyrie in Norse Mythology are psychopomps for example. In other traditions mortal people perform the same function. In modern society there is the concept of a "Death Doula," or "End of life Midwife." Some people consider these psychopomps, although their roll is more for helping the surviving family deal with all the rituals as well as the psychological aspects of a family member dying. This is a relatively new version of a very old custom. In most societies such duties are relegated to a shaman, or the priesthood. In some societies it is a family member.

The things you learn in October, the traditional month of Halloween.