( Wednesday PO) McCarthy is out, and makes history as the first speaker to be ousted.

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

( Wednesday PO) McCarthy is out, and makes history as the first speaker to be ousted.

Post by Z is for Zangie » Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:52 pm

https://wapo.st/3tfzeLj

I subscribe, so it is a freebie, no paywall...

Discuss, without the insults thank you.

Tarmaque

Re: ( Wednesday PO) McCarthy is out, and makes history as the first speaker to be ousted.

Post by Tarmaque » Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:34 pm

I am not surprised McCarthy is out. The Republican Party in general is a hot mess right now, and the Republican Party inside the House in particular. What I find more interesting is they couldn't find anyone more competent than McCarthy in the first place.

Z is for Zangie

Re: ( Wednesday PO) McCarthy is out, and makes history as the first speaker to be ousted.

Post by Z is for Zangie » Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:35 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:34 pm
I am not surprised McCarthy is out. The Republican Party in general is a hot mess right now, and the Republican Party inside the House in particular. What I find more interesting is they couldn't find anyone more competent than McCarthy in the first place.
Yeah, my question is, since he says he won't run again, who will replace him and they could be much worse?

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:05 pm

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:35 pm
Yeah, my question is, since he says he won't run again, who will replace him and they could be much worse?
The extreme wing of the Republican Party is already rallying the troops to make Florida Man Speaker of the House. That's how much worse it could get. Personally I am encouraging this, since I think it will show yet again how incompetent he is at everything he does, but the fallout would be extensive. I've heard several interviews with Republican House members this morning supporting the idea, and they all simply sound detached from reality. It's weird, really.

The Democrats in the house aren't much better.

And then there's the fact that interim Speaker McHenry has kicked Nancy Pelosi out of her office. Now that's just juvenile.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:06 pm

Z is for Zangie wrote:
much worse?
I just read that Representative Jim Jordan has announced his candidacy for Speaker. That's how much worse it can realistically get.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:21 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:06 pm
Z is for Zangie wrote:
much worse?
I just read that Representative Jim Jordan has announced his candidacy for Speaker. That's how much worse it can realistically get.
Yeah, I was afraid of him, he used to be my rep, he is a jerk...the scuttlebutt is everyone hates Gaetz, left and right...but, Jordan...sigh....McCarthy wasn't that bad...

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:55 pm

Politics in general is in shambles; no different than the rest of the country. Can I get much worse? I'm not happy in saying so, but I believe it will get much worse. The next 12 months, in my humble opinion (not worth 2 spits), is going to be a time of greater divides & a shaking the country to its core.
We're in for a wild ride - best keep your wits about you and take it one day at a time. All hell's going to break loose on multiple fronts. When cracks in the foundation causes that foundation to fail .. do I have to say everything built on top of that's liable to come down.
See Z, I can play nice with others, and I do. I think it's my style you don't like. Maybe a bit too confrontational for your gentle tastes, but surely I'm not evil

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:04 pm

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:21 pm
Yeah, I was afraid of him, he used to be my rep, he is a jerk...the scuttlebutt is everyone hates Gaetz, left and right...but, Jordan...sigh....McCarthy wasn't that bad...
Yeah, as a matter of fact McCarthy was that bad. But Jorden will be worse. I almost think the Democratic caucus should have bailed out McCarthy knowing how bad it could get. But maybe not. I dunno. It's like herding a classroom of emotionally unstable kindergarteners.