(Monday PO) The Emotional Impact of the Israel-Gaza Conflict on Jewish and Palestinian Americans

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

GuideToACrazyWorld

(Monday PO) The Emotional Impact of the Israel-Gaza Conflict on Jewish and Palestinian Americans

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:24 am

It's been more than a week of war in Israel and Gaza, following Hamas attacks in southern Israel that left more than 1,300 Israelis dead. In response, Israeli air strikes in Gaza have killed more than 2,500 Palestinians, according to Gaza health officials. The intense violence — and the prospect of more to come — is having a deep emotional impact on people who care about both Israelis and Palestinians.

NPR's Scott Detrow speaks with Aziza Hasan, executive director of NewGround: A Muslim Jewish Partnership for Change, and Alyson Freedman, a member of Sisterhood Salaam Shalom.

Tarmaque

Re: (Monday PO) The Emotional Impact of the Israel-Gaza Conflict on Jewish and Palestinian Americans

Post by Tarmaque » Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:18 am

I no longer care. This idiotic conflict has been going on my whole life, and twenty years before that. Neither side is in the right here. The Israeli government are dicks to the Palestinian people, then the Palestinians form terrorist groups to be assholes to the Israeli people. And neither side's people will stop their government/leaders from doing it.

This is why cops hate going to domestic disputes. There's no good guy, and the cop ends up in the middle growing ulcers.

Slip Shod

Re: (Monday PO) The Emotional Impact of the Israel-Gaza Conflict on Jewish and Palestinian Americans

Post by Slip Shod » Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:30 am

I totally understand Tar's position and more or less sort of agree with him. But there are the innocent, the people, on both sides as in any conflict, there always are - Russia and Ukraine, all wars. And for that reason alone even though it seems pointless, dialogue can't be given up on. When there are no answers there is time - after enough have died.
Unfortunately, after the last shot is fired isn't the end of the suffering. The horror & trauma of it all, physical and psychologically will mark all those involved.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:31 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:18 am
I no longer care. This idiotic conflict has been going on my whole life, and twenty years before that.
More like 3000 years before that. You are just looking at the latest incarnation.
Tarmaque wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:18 am
The Israeli government are dicks to the Palestinian people, then the Palestinians form terrorist groups to be assholes to the Israeli people. And neither side's people will stop their government/leaders from doing it.
I found Israeli response under Sharone to be a massive failure. It appears that the current administration is looking to handle the attach the right way at least.

I don't see any meaningful difference between blowing up a bizarre and carpet bombing a residential neighborhood.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:47 pm

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:31 pm
I don't see any meaningful difference between blowing up a bizarre and carpet bombing a residential neighborhood.
Exactly. It may sound harsh, but the best thing for the region would be for someone to nuke all of the Levant into a radioactive glaze. But that wouldn't be fair to Jordan, the one sane country in the region today.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:02 pm

It wouldn't take much for this situation to get wild out of control. Egypt is even now massing troops and tanks on Israel's Southern border. I'm sure communications are flying through the Middle East between the Arab countries. The other day Israel bombed two of Syria's major airports - probably caught wind of Iran supplying Hezbollah with weapons to Lebanon.
+ United States has two naval strike forces in the area, things are on edge. In the next few days we could wake wake up to a different world. The possibilities of this going bad are very real
There's a dozen different scenarios that could take place, Russia's allied with both Syria and Iran and China leans that way too.
Asking for cooler heads to prevail in the Middle East - that's just not going to happen

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:58 am

Tarmaque wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:47 pm
Exactly. It may sound harsh, but the best thing for the region would be for someone to nuke all of the Levant into a radioactive glaze. But that wouldn't be fair to Jordan, the one sane country in the region today.
Senator Cruz?

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:11 am

Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:58 am
Senator Cruz?
Sure. We can nuke him to radioactive glaze too.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:02 am

Tarmaque wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:11 am
Sure. We can nuke him to radioactive glaze too.
I was referring to his comment, "Does the sand glow in the desert? We are going to find out" comment

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:56 am

Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:02 am
I was referring to his comment, "Does the sand glow in the desert? We are going to find out" comment
Does that mean we can't bomb him into the stone age? Because that was getting me all excited.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:50 am

Tarmaque wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:56 am
Does that mean we can't bomb him into the stone age? Because that was getting me all excited.
No it just means that you guys are middle east twins.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:06 pm

Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:50 am
No it just means that you guys are middle east twins.
That's just hurtful.