( Sunday NO PO) Today is Donut Day, Love your Red hair Day, & Daylight Savings Time Ends

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

( Sunday NO PO) Today is Donut Day, Love your Red hair Day, & Daylight Savings Time Ends

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:44 am

I love donuts, especially custard filled, my Pecan and maple filling one and one that they don't make anymore...crushed peanuts on a fried cake...yum...one of the worst things for you, but, I have one a week on Fridays..courtesy of my boss.

I always wanted red hair, the dark auburn kind like the pic, I settle for highlighting mine dark auburn...

Daylight Savings Time ends today..don't forget to set your clock back

donuts.jpg[/attachment [attachment=1]red hair.jpg
DST ends.jpg
DST ends.jpg (11.24 KiB) Viewed 2032 times
Attachments
red hair.jpg
red hair.jpg (8.67 KiB) Viewed 2032 times
donuts.jpg
donuts.jpg (12.43 KiB) Viewed 2032 times

Z is for Zangie

Re: ( Sunday NO PO) Today is Donut Day, Love your Red hair Day, & Daylight Savings Time Ends

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:47 am

Sorry, I was MIA last night and today, Rick ended up in Urgent Care ( he ahs a 7mm kidney stone and a kidney infection, there was the showing and the funeral for his father, and my laptop I think has finally died...the speed is off, I tried everything I know and I couldn't fix it,,, I am on my desktop with no problems, so I know it is the laptop,,,unfortunately, I can' t afford to buy another one, especially the one I want....sigh

Tarmaque

Re: ( Sunday NO PO) Today is Donut Day, Love your Red hair Day, & Daylight Savings Time Ends

Post by Tarmaque » Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:49 am

Sorry to hear about your troubles, Z. My week has been pretty okay, but I'm having anxiety about this job.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:07 am

Tarmaque wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:49 am
Sorry to hear about your troubles, Z. My week has been pretty okay, but I'm having anxiety about this job.
Thanks, Tarm..anxiety that you can't do it? Or just a lack of confidence in yourself, for instance. They thought you were going to be good at it, consider that. Hang in there and keep positive.

Mysterious Cat

Post by Mysterious Cat » Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:33 am

Interestingly enough I just had a donut. It was a coconut variety that I got at the supermarket so I'm not sure if it's a donut or a doughnut. It was good though. Also interestingly enough donuts while made of dough don't look like nuts to me. I guess if you squared or hexed the sides they would. You'd have to get a doughwrench to turn it I suppose. If you put one on a dish would you first set it on a dish washer? I'll have to think about it.

There is a new donut shop a few blocks away. It's all vegan and edgy they have a good time coming up with clever flavors. The staff are mostly young goth-ish chicks. I've been going there on occasional weekend mornings because I like the vibe but I am not a big sweet eater and their donuts are big and sometimes I eat one and then sit there afterwards wondering why I do such things. Btw being vegan they don't have cow milk for your coffee but I heard oat milk was the best substitute so I tried it and yeah, it's actually not bad.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:35 am

No need to apologize Z / you've had a rough couple days. I've had my run-ins with hospitals and pain myself . Sorry to hear about your friend - hope he's back up and good to go soon

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:48 am

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:07 am
Thanks, Tarm..anxiety that you can't do it? Or just a lack of confidence in yourself, for instance. They thought you were going to be good at it, consider that. Hang in there and keep positive.
It's just 8 weeks of training to see if I like it or not. I'd hate to go through it all and then hate it. Also it's got a lot of downsides. Probably lots of overtime, which I hate. Tons of things to remember. High stress at times. Other things. On the other hand it pays double time for overtime, doesn't include stuff like cleaning up the bus or any mechanical stuff, and I'm already ahead of most of the class since I already have all the certifications I need.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:21 am

Mysterious Cat wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:33 am
Interestingly enough I just had a donut. It was a coconut variety that I got at the supermarket so I'm not sure if it's a donut or a doughnut. It was good though. Also interestingly enough donuts while made of dough don't look like nuts to me. I guess if you squared or hexed the sides they would. You'd have to get a doughwrench to turn it I suppose. If you put one on a dish would you first set it on a dish washer? I'll have to think about it.

There is a new donut shop a few blocks away. It's all vegan and edgy they have a good time coming up with clever flavors. The staff are mostly young goth-ish chicks. I've been going there on occasional weekend mornings because I like the vibe but I am not a big sweet eater and their donuts are big and sometimes I eat one and then sit there afterwards wondering why I do such things. Btw being vegan they don't have cow milk for your coffee but I heard oat milk was the best substitute so I tried it and yeah, it's actually not bad.
Hi MC, always good to hear from you...I was just wondering if you were ok..
Where I am, they have a place called Hudnutts, that makes donuts from potatoes, that is where I get my pecan and maple ones...they are actually pretty darn good and don't taste like potatoes, lol...but like donut dough...I assume they are better for you also...I have a bit of a sweet tooth, but, I do get a this is too much sweetness vibe at times...

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:22 am

Tarmaque wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:48 am
Z is for Zangie wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:07 am
It's just 8 weeks of training to see if I like it or not. I'd hate to go through it all and then hate it. Also it's got a lot of downsides. Probably lots of overtime, which I hate. Tons of things to remember. High stress at times. Other things. On the other hand it pays double time for overtime, doesn't include stuff like cleaning up the bus or any mechanical stuff, and I'm already ahead of most of the class since I already have all the certifications I need.
As I learned in I think my logic class...do a pro and con sheet and weight them to decide?..lol

Mysterious Cat

Post by Mysterious Cat » Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:19 pm

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:21 am
Thanks- I am fine. Actually I finally got covid last week but it was mild, mostly like a cold. Over the summer I got a job transfer and moved to the capital region of NY, halfway up on the right hand side. I've lived here once before so I'm familiar with it, but it isn't an area I would have moved back to absent the job. So I've been kind of moody and broody over the last six months or so, living in the top floor of an historic town house (read: old smelly apartment) and trying to work myself up to finding someplace more permanent when I don't have a particularly strong desire to live here permanently. But really I can't complain.

Re: your laptop there are places that refurbish and sell used ones. If you don't have high demand computing needs you can sometimes find a cheap one that works well enough. I have a ten year old Mac Mini and it is mostly ok but has slowed considerably, especially when you first boot it up. Once it gets going it's fine but when I start it I usually open the applications I want and then go find something else to do for fifteen minutes. I'm not prepared to shell out for a new Apple product yet so I was thinking I might get a cheap laptop to put some miles on in the meantime.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:29 pm

Mysterious Cat wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:19 pm
I have a ten year old Mac Mini and it is mostly ok but has slowed considerably, especially when you first boot it up.
I have two suggestions for any old Apple product like that. One, either install or have someone install a new Solid State Hard Drive (SSD.) That usually wakes them right up. Alternately, if you're adventurous, install either MX Linux or Linux Mint. This will also wake it up. I've been running MX Linux for about three years now on my iMac, and I'm very happy with it Or do both. There are plenty of tutorials online on how to do this and it isn't extraordinarily difficult.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:46 pm

Mysterious Cat wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:19 pm
Z is for Zangie wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:21 am
Thanks- I am fine. Actually I finally got covid last week but it was mild, mostly like a cold. Over the summer I got a job transfer and moved to the capital region of NY, halfway up on the right hand side. I've lived here once before so I'm familiar with it, but it isn't an area I would have moved back to absent the job. So I've been kind of moody and broody over the last six months or so, living in the top floor of an historic town house (read: old smelly apartment) and trying to work myself up to finding someplace more permanent when I don't have a particularly strong desire to live here permanently. But really I can't complain.

Re: your laptop there are places that refurbish and sell used ones. If you don't have high demand computing needs you can sometimes find a cheap one that works well enough. I have a ten year old Mac Mini and it is mostly ok but has slowed considerably, especially when you first boot it up. Once it gets going it's fine but when I start it I usually open the applications I want and then go find something else to do for fifteen minutes. I'm not prepared to shell out for a new Apple product yet so I was thinking I might get a cheap laptop to put some miles on in the meantime.
Sorry you are not happy where you are...I know what that is like
That is a good idea...mine is almost ten years old and is a Dell, and I love it...it is my second Dell...I am pretty close to the IT guys who took care of the computer stuff at my old job, I was thinking of calling them and seeing if they have one like that or if they can help...they told me I should hold on to this one till it totally died, something about Intel chip I think, and it was Windows seven which I like best...

Mine loads ok, it was just dragging for a couple of days on the games I play...today it is fine, so now I don't know what to think