Sorry, guys

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

Sorry, guys

Post by Z is for Zangie » Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:07 am

I am really overwhelmed with multiple things, I will try to post something tomorrow...I have a really busy weekend, something going on every day. My back does feel better.though...I need a bit of a break

Slip Shod

Re: Sorry, guys

Post by Slip Shod » Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:25 am

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:07 am
I am really overwhelmed with multiple things, I will try to post something tomorrow...I have a really busy weekend, something going on every day. My back does feel better.though...I need a bit of a break
it's all right Z , I'll take it from here .. 👌 I'm gonna put some funky music out there -
Z, pours us a couple shots of tequila and let's get this thing started

-

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:34 pm

Can strong solar storms take down the internet? Scientist says it's possible
The likelihood of super solar storms has risen as the sun approaches its most active phase.
By Ariana Garcia
Nov 16, 2023

https://www.chron.com/news/space/articl ... 495912.php

no internet for months? It's old school / reading a map, reading a book, actually talking to people wow

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:19 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:34 pm
Can strong solar storms take down the internet? Scientist says it's possible
I didn't read the article because I'm well aware of the possibility. When the last great solar storm happened in the 1800s most of the damage was to telegraph lines, which acted as great big antennas for the energy but weren't strong enough to handle it. Today when people have digital optical internet (like me) and no wired telephone service the damage could be minimal. However a more important problem is how much of our life these days depends on satellites. It's possible that most or all communication satellites could be disrupted or destroyed, which would have some pretty terrible consequences. Not only would things like GPS be unavailable, not to mention television and internet, the debris caused by out of control satellites crashing into one another could cause a debris field that could make it all but impossible to replace them. (So-called "Kessler Syndrome.") It wouldn't destroy our society, but it would complicate it enormously for decades. There are work-arounds of course, but they would take time to implement as well. Forget returning to the Moon any time soon.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:43 pm

if the internet and satellites, phone and television service in general and who knows what else goes bust, no doubt in my mind the states will call up their national guards to help bolster civil authorities and we'll all be on a trip of a lifetime.
Besides communications there could be food shortages, fueling problems, perhaps banking as well. Yes, it would be a brave New World

Civil unrest?

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:49 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:43 pm
Besides communications there could be food shortages, fueling problems, perhaps banking as well.
Oh, it would absolutely be a catastrophic mess. I don't wish to experience it.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:46 am

dedicating this song to Saturday night and all the lovely ladies out there