(Sunday PO) Judge says 'undated' Pennsylvania ballots should count, setting up a likely appeal

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

GuideToACrazyWorld

(Sunday PO) Judge says 'undated' Pennsylvania ballots should count, setting up a likely appeal

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:15 am

https://www.npr.org/2023/11/21/11772266 ... ots-ruling
Mailed ballots that arrive on time but in envelopes without dates handwritten by Pennsylvania voters should be counted, a federal judge ruled Tuesday in a case that's likely to end up before the U.S. Supreme Court.

The ruling by U.S. District Judge Susan Paradise Baxter is expected to be appealed to the 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals before it ultimately reaches the high court, whose final word on what are often referred to as "undated ballots" may help determine the outcome of the 2024 presidential race and other key upcoming elections in the swing state.

Sponsor Message

The plaintiffs in this pair of lawsuits — including the Pennsylvania State Conference of the NAACP and the Democratic campaign committees for U.S. House of Representatives and Senate candidates — argue that ballots in return envelopes without any handwritten date or with an incorrect one should not be disqualified from the 2022 midterm elections and future races in Pennsylvania.

Why 'undated' ballots have sparked a new election lawsuit in Pennsylvania
ELECTIONS
Why 'undated' ballots have sparked a new election lawsuit in Pennsylvania
While those handwritten dates are required by Pennsylvania state law, they are not used to confirm whether a person is allowed to vote. Counties have included ballots arriving in undated or misdated return envelopes in final vote tallies for past elections.

Not counting these kinds of ballots, the plaintiffs argue, would violate the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which says a person's right to vote cannot be denied for "an error or omission" that is "not material" in determining voting eligibility.

The Republican National Committee and other GOP groups have joined the case in opposition to counting ballots without handwritten dates or those that are misdated.

For the 2022 midterm elections, registered Democrats outpaced Republicans in voting by mail in Pennsylvania and nationally, according to the United States Elections Project's analysis.

In 2022, the U.S. Supreme Court voided a lower court's ruling in a similar case over ballots for a Pennsylvania county judge's race after the Republican candidate conceded. Three of the high court's conservative justices — Justices Samuel Alito, Clarence Thomas and Neil Gorsuch — have indicated that they're not convinced that disqualifying ballots for missing handwritten dates violates the Civil Rights Act.

Slip Shod

Re: (Sunday PO) Judge says 'undated' Pennsylvania ballots should count, setting up a likely appeal

Post by Slip Shod » Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:12 pm

Here we go, Dems playing loose with the rules, but how should we approach this ?
Okay, got it !
Republicans are the bad guys

Slip Shod

Re: (Sunday PO) Judge says 'undated' Pennsylvania ballots should count, setting up a likely appeal

Post by Slip Shod » Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:26 pm

I was just skimming some world headlines and came across a story first of China and then in the Netherlands as well, but there's been a huge for some unknown reason outbreak of pneumonia among children in China according to what I read - it was a growing problem.
And after reading that I immediately came across an article about the Netherlands as well and an outbreak of pneumonia among the children there
I've got my own views about it. I believe those covid-19 shots leave the body with a compromised immune system and especially the children should never have gotten those so-called vaccinations.
But we're not going back and pick that apart again. What's done is done and we're all going to have to live out our choices

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:14 pm

let's talk about your pocketbook
In other words inflation - this administration is still blaming Trump W T F

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:23 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:12 pm
Here we go, Dems playing loose with the rules, but how should we approach this ?
Okay, got it !
More like some Republicans discriminating and using petty reasons to disqualify Democratic voters, especially people of color. Who cares if there is a date? It has nothing to do with voter eligibility and means absolutely nothing. The ballot tells you which election it is. They are suppressing rights, not us.

Don't get me started on all the laws and rules Republican politicians are breaking regularly Slip..always to punish Dems/libs...including the de facto leader of the right now, Trump, who disregards all kinds of rules and laws on a whim...he is a crook, and some are following his lead...

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:26 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:14 pm
let's talk about your pocketbook
In other words inflation - this administration is still blaming Trump W T F
Until you deal with actual facts and legitimate sources I am not going to talk to you anymore...and I would prefer you don't post this crap

I deleted the Jack Smith one which I don't understand what he had to do with the topic, he is following the law, and doing his job....open your eye Slip...you are the one who has it wrong on this topic for sure

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:27 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Okay, got it !
PS: In many places, including OH, they are the ones playing fast and loose and oppressing anyone who doesn't agree with them..they are the bad guys right now, unfortunately, deal with it

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:05 pm

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:27 pm
Slip Shod wrote:
Okay, got it !
PS: In many places, including OH, they are the ones playing fast and loose and oppressing anyone who doesn't agree with them..they are the bad guys right now, unfortunately, deal with it
Appreciate your perspective and luv ya at the same time

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:38 pm

There's dirt coming out on Smith even now as we speak . Him and that corrupt judge overseeing Trump's case .. shame all those long hours they put into it and it'll be all for not - all the heartburn and Pepto-Bismol, for not.Trump will prevail

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:48 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:38 pm
There's dirt coming out on Smith even now as we speak . Him and that corrupt judge overseeing Trump's case .. shame all those long hours they put into it and it'll be all for not - all the heartburn and Pepto-Bismol, not not.Trump will prevail
You are soo wrong, there is nothing corrupt about Smith or any of the judges overseeing any of the cases...you live in a fantasy world Slip..it's about what you want to believe, not what the truth is, and you trust those people lying to you...I feel sorry for you...Trump is guilty as hell, and they plenty of proof, even from people close to him and in writing from him etc...

Search for the real truth, and stay away from all those grifters.people who are lying to you...

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:31 am

Thanks Z, but seeing how wrong you and tarmac were about covid vaccine misrepresentation / misinformation - shows me you guys may have gotten it wrong in other things too
Like wrong with Trump and Russia - that one there was pushed in the media mercilessly for years
I feel sorry for the delusional & sick with grief believing that Trump is actually going to destroy this country and democracy
Biden's on the fast track doing just that
and when all that I say comes to pass, I'm not one to rub it in and say I told you so

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:44 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:31 am
Thanks Z, but seeing how wrong you and tarmac were about covid vaccine misrepresentation / misinformation - shows me you guys may have gotten it wrong in other things too
Like wrong with Trump and Russia - that one there was pushed in the media mercilessly for years
I feel sorry for the delusional & sick with grief believing that Trump is actually going to destroy this country and democracy
Biden's on the fast track doing just that
and when all that I say comes to pass, I'm not one to rub it in and say I told you so
We are not wrong about Covid, reputable sources have investigated this forever. Your sources are, you use unreliable, grifting, and looney tunes sources. There was nothing wrong about the Trump-Russia connection it was investigated and I didn't know what happened , was waiting for the special counsel report...collusion isn't a crime and that is not what they were investigating..it was obstruction and there was plenty....plus, Russia did interfere in the election to get Trump elected, and there was obstruction, plenty of it...and then there is Roger Stone who did conspire with Russia.

What has Biden done, that is the truth that destroys democracy...he has done a lot of bi-partisan stuff, he has handled foreign policy well,( except Afghanistan, which I didn't like either) he has done things that help those in red states who were struggling, like infrastructure and opening new manufacturing stuff like the computer chip companies. He has made a few mistakes, but he is a normal president, not stellar, but not bad either. He is still center left overall.

What he didn't do is lie about the election, stage a coup to try and take over the government, where 5 people died, he hasn't ignored any laws or rules, purge anyone he didn't like, call people names, cozy up to dictators..etc..he isn't running a campaign of retribution, he cares about people not just himself like Trump, he has little control over immigration ( this is congresses job and they, especially the right have resisted doing anything about it for years...because it helps them campaign, making people afraid is a good political if immoral thing to do...or inflation, the solution to inflation is to raise interest rates, that is what he has done, and gas is cheap again, the economy is going gung ho, lowest unemployment ever...GDP going up etc

He hasn't raped women, said he can grab them by the pussy, committed financial fraud, refused to give back confidential, top secret documents, plotted a coup,

Have you seen what Trump is saying now...he is saying it out loud...if you care about me or any other non-conservatives you should be concerned...he has a plan to fire everyone in the government.and replace them with unexperienced bad people...

He has promised to take out all lefties and anyone who doesn't have the same thoughts as him, in violent ways, I could go on and on..the places you get your news lie to by omission and outright...they don't tell you all the facts about all the bad things he has done and the ones he is promising to do, he wants revenge and he is going to break laws and hurt people, and while I suppose you don't care about the people you disagree with, that they deserve to be hurt, I don't know what to say. He is saying he will expel millions of people from the country that we need for jobs etc, and the dreamers who were born here...he breaks laws, and he thinks he is above the law..and he wants to hurt people like me, including me...that is his promise to his fans

He is a liar, cheat, criminal, and a horrible person...period. That isn't an opinion there are plenty of facts to back it up and now he is saying it out loud. He is a threat, he is going to become a dictator and destroy freedom of speech etc..he haS said so repeatedly in the last month..he i serious and he has some evil people helping...it is horrible, the worst thing I have ever seen...you will see and I won't say I told you so, but, I will point out I tried to tell you the truth and warn you.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:54 pm

It's Saturday morning now and it seems we already have our juices flowing - it's like opening the door to check the weather and get slapped in the face by mother nature, a cold wet wind
-
And as far as Trump, he's being hunted down and persecuted / a coon in the woods and a pack of dogs after him

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:32 pm

Trump Proved Right as Stunning Report Emerges About Jan. 6 Case -
Opera News Official

http://opr.news/18c1d9f4231202en_us?lin ... =localnews