( Saturday NO PO) I am out of gas and ideas for the moment...I will thin of something, you can talk about anything NO PO

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

( Saturday NO PO) I am out of gas and ideas for the moment...I will thin of something, you can talk about anything NO PO

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:54 pm

Here are some history of Dec 2nd's past: December 2nd Celebrated History

Publisher, Gnome Press releases American author, Isaac Asimov's collection of short stories titled I, Robot. In the collection, Asimov puts forth the Three Laws of Robotics for the first time.

The Environmental Protection Agency begins operation.

The first Jarvik-7 artificial heart is permanently implanted into Barney Clark by Dr. William C. Devries.

Directed by David Zucker, the comedy The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad starring Leslie Nielsen, Priscilla Presley, and O.J. Simpson premiered in theaters.

December 2nd Celebrated Birthdays

Charles Ringling - 1863

He was one of the brothers who owned the RinglingBrothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus.

Josephine Roche - 1886

Roche was a woman of many firsts - the first policewoman in Colorado and running a major coal company. President Franklin Roosevelt also appointed the business leader and activist as the first woman Secretary of the Treasury.

Charles H. Wesley - 1891

Wesley was a noted historian of African American history. During his career wrote 24 books covering a broad selection of topics. He earned his doctorate degree from Harvard University, the third African American to do so.

Gianni Versace - 1946

In 1978, the Italian fashion designer founded Versace in Milan, Italy. The luxury fashion design house has an international reputation for quality apparel and leather accessories.

Slip Shod

Re: ( Saturday NO PO) I am out of gas and ideas for the moment...I will thin of something, you can talk about anything N

Post by Slip Shod » Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:31 pm

🌲
It's been 100 years ago,1923, that the first national Christmas tree was put up. It was President Coolidge at the time, the tree being lit up with electric lights
~
And a cat in the tree seems appropriate for this time of year

Tarmaque

Re: ( Saturday NO PO) I am out of gas and ideas for the moment...I will thin of something, you can talk about anything N

Post by Tarmaque » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:23 pm

It's Hallowthanksmas today. Party party party! (A gathering for people who don't celebrate Halloween, Thanksgiving, or Christmas.)

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:37 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:23 pm
It's Hallowthanksmas today. Party party party! (A gathering for people who don't celebrate Halloween, Thanksgiving, or Christmas.)
there's a holiday for everything. There's even a holiday for celebrating and wiggling your toes; it's in August
Don't believe the boss will understand and let you off that day though

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:14 pm

Unrelated to anything, I got reminded today of a silly argument I got into with my Dad 25 years ago or more. We were talking about long songs, and he brought up "In the Garden of Eden."

I said, "What?"
"In the Garden of Eden, Son. You know, Iron Butterfly."
"Dad, that's 'In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida'. It's the title of the song."
"No it isn't. He may slur the words, but it's 'In the Garden of Eden.'"

He refused to be convinced. Now granted, the original lyrics of the song were indeed 'In the Garden of Eden' but when Doug Ingle wrote it he was so drunk the guy transcribing the lyrics heard it as 'In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida' and history was made. It's the name of the song, on the album cover, and in the liner notes. But until the day he died my Dad insisted it was 'In the Garden of Eden.' It made me think of my Dad today.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:50 pm

You made me think of this Tarmac
When my dad passed I laid my hand on his chest leaning over and kissed his forehead. As I placed my hand on his chest I knew that wasn't him; it was simply a husk or form he took while he was with us
I clearly remembered it, the instant I laid my hand on his chest; it was like touching a cool wooden park bench. That wasn't him, he'd left

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:19 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:50 pm
I clearly remembered it, the instant I laid my hand on his chest; it was like touching a cool wooden park bench. That wasn't him, he'd left
I've been there a couple times myself. My Brother and I and my Mom were with my Dad when he died. In the hospital room. The damn medical staff were still talking up that there were treatment options, but we knew better. He had lymphoma, and he was too weak for Chemo. Less than two hours after a conversation with his doctor he died. It was obvious there was nothing there. Same deal with both my Grandfathers, although one died at home and the other at a care facility. When my Grandmother died they didn't want to let me see her, even though I was 19 and living with her at the time. I didn't particularly care since that's how I felt about it. I looked at it as a relief since she had suffered so much for two years. (ovarian cancer.)

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:17 pm

BTW, I got my laptop...it is soooo cool, it is blue, and the lid and the keyboard space around around are blue anyway. It is pristine...the keyboard has no wear and tear at all, and the letters and numbers look brand new...I am guessing it wasn't used much...now for the setup, which I am taking it to work to get help from Bill...I'm pretty excited, it is 2018, so it should get a lot of use since it wasn't used much.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:36 am

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:17 pm
now for the setup, which I am taking it to work to get help from Bill.
I hate that. It's not the updating I don't like, or getting a new computer, but setting it up the way I want it to be. It takes forever to get everything situated like I want it. In my case, setting the dock up where I want and with the applications on it I prefer. Then getting the menu bar all sorted. Finally getting all the software I want installed and working correctly. It can take all weekend.

That said MX Linux has a tool for exporting a completely set up system, but I haven't used it yet. It sounds convenient as hell.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:40 am

Tarmaque wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:36 am
Z is for Zangie wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:17 pm
now for the setup, which I am taking it to work to get help from Bill.
I hate that. It's not the updating I don't like, or getting a new computer, but setting it up the way I want it to be. It takes forever to get everything situated like I want it. In my case, setting the dock up where I want and with the applications on it I prefer. Then getting the menu bar all sorted. Finally getting all the software I want installed and working correctly. It can take all weekend.

That said MX Linux has a tool for exporting a completely set up system, but I haven't used it yet. It sounds convenient as hell.
Yeah, that is the hard part
I have been backing up my laptop for a while now, ( external back up thing, I got from my old work computer at the law firm, which I brought home) I am not sure how this works or what it actually transfers, but, hopefully that will streamline that part?

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:16 pm

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:40 am
I am not sure how this works or what it actually transfers, but, hopefully that will streamline that part?
I don't know. I used to have a great backup strategy, but that program only worked on Mac products. There's a similar program for MX Linux, but I'd need a new external hard drive to make it work. I should look into that. New external 1TB drives are not that expensive these days.