( Sunday NO PO) Here is some history while I figure out what to do with this thread

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

( Sunday NO PO) Here is some history while I figure out what to do with this thread

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:20 pm

December 3rd Celebrated History

George Claude introduced his invention of the neon light at the Paris Motor Show. His background in chemistry gave him the knowledge to understand that with enough voltage, the neon would glow. Once captured in a glass tube, the possibilities for an electric display were endless.

Neil Papworth, an engineer for Vodaphone Telecommunications, sent the world's first text message. He typed the message on his desktop computer and sent the message to a collogue's Orbitel 901 cell phone. The message read, "Merry Christmas."

Sony released the PlayStation gaming console and games in Japan. Nine months later, the system would be released in the United States.

California Love was released by 2Pac. The hip-hop song featured Dr. Dre and Roger Troutman and reached #1 on Billboard Hot 100 for two weeks.

December 3rd Celebrated Birthdays

Cleveland Abbe - 1838

The American meteorologist supported time zones and is considered the Father of the Weather Bureau.

Charles A. Pillsbury - 1842

The American manufacturer founded one of the world's largest milling companies and was based out of Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Ellen Swallow Richards - 1842

The first woman accepted to a school of science, Swallow pioneered the science of sanitary engineering and founded home economics.

Ozzy Osborne - 1948

Born John Michael Osbourne, the singer, and songwriter rose to fame in the 1970s as the lead vocalist of the heavy metal band Black Sabbath.

Z is for Zangie

Re: ( Sunday NO PO) Here is some history while I figure out what to do with this thread

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:23 pm

I have so much to do today, and will still leave more I have to do next weekend...I am tired...lol

Slip Shod

Re: ( Sunday NO PO) Here is some history while I figure out what to do with this thread

Post by Slip Shod » Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:54 pm

a little different spin on Christmas in other parts of the world

6mins.

In Iceland they have a too weird to think about tradition of stuffing a dead seal with a bird and buried in the ice and snow for 5 months and then dig it up and having it for dinner
no thank you