What's with the tattle tale "Last edited by . . . " note?

Request and vote on future improvements for the Neighborhood. Your patience is appreciated.
Deleted User 70

What's with the tattle tale "Last edited by . . . " note?

Post by Deleted User 70 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:50 pm

Screen Shot 10.png

I edit my posts a lot. Frequently, too. As a writing teacher of mine emphasized, editing is something good writers embrace. However, I have been accused of dishonesty when I do this. I find that galling, since my corrections are in the interest of accuracy, thank you, and not a sign of disingenuity.
No other forum I've participated on has included such a notation. Can you axe it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Re: What's with the tattle tale "Last edited by . . . " note?

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:08 pm

Abbi Baily wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:50 pm
However, I have been accused of dishonesty when I do this.
That's down right silly who does that?
Abbi Baily wrote:
Can you axe it?
I don't remember if it's configurable or not, but that's really something we should probably put to a site-wide vote. Personally, I'm indifferent either way.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:16 am

Abbi Baily wrote:
Can you axe it?
It was a simple setting and I changed it. Hopefully, no one else even notices and we don't need to go the voting route.

Deleted User 70

Post by Deleted User 70 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:07 pm

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:16 am
It was a simple setting and I changed it.
Yay!

Deleted User 70

Post by Deleted User 70 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:08 pm

Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:08 pm
That's down right silly who does that?
Limoman for one.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:23 pm

Abbi Baily wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:08 pm
Limoman for one.
SMH.

The only time it really should matter is if someone else were to edit your post dishonestly. By default, only house Admins and Neighborhood watch can do that. It's possible that some house admin might want to extend this ability to their Mods at some point but at this time no one has.

Honestly, if someone who is trusted here starts editing other people's posts covertly, we have bigger issues to deal with anyway.

Deleted User 70

Post by Deleted User 70 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:30 pm

Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:23 pm
The only time it really should matter is if someone else were to edit your post dishonestly.
That's not been possible on the forums I've participated on. At least, not to my knowledge.
Limo has been a thorn in my side for years, and the feeling is mutual. I keep him blocked. Interestingly, I find it much easier to ignore him here than I could on Disqus. The format that enabled more spontaneous back and forth between friends also allowed opponents to get at each other.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:48 pm

Abbi Baily wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:30 pm
That's not been possible on the forums I've participated on. At least, not to my knowledge.
On Disqus any mod could edit. Every forum you've been on I'd be willing to bet at least the owner could edit.
Abbi Baily wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:30 pm
The format that enabled more spontaneous back and forth between friends also allowed opponents to get at each other.

I keep hearing this refrain. But to be honest I don't really understand it and can't begin to address what I don't understand.

I understand that the move from a threaded forum to a flat forum is an adjustment. From my perspective, it feels like what is really happening is that people haven't adjusted to the new format, and what they are saying is impossible is more a matter of they haven't figured out how it works yet and if that is all that we are talking about I get it. But when people say they can't have a spontaneous conversation here, I'm confused. There are various methods to achieve that. Quoting, pm, chat room. There seems to be an idea that you can't rapidly reply here, but if you hit the quote button you are replying just as quick as you could anywhere else. What is it I'm missing?

I figure if there is anyone willing and able to explain it to me it's you.

Deleted User 70

Post by Deleted User 70 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:07 pm

Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:48 pm
On Disqus any mod could edit. Every forum you've been on I'd be willing to bet at least the owner could edit.
Interesting. They refrained from editing any of my comments. I'd have objected loudly to almost anyone doing that.

Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:48 pm
I don't really understand it and can't begin to address what I don't understand.
I wish I could explain it to you. Just as I wish I could describe red to my colorblind husband.
I'll think about it; maybe I can come up with something.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:46 pm

Abbi Baily wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:07 pm
Interesting. They refrained from editing any of my comments. I'd have objected loudly to almost anyone doing that.
I think most people would, and it's a really creepy thing to do.
Abbi Baily wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:07 pm
I wish I could explain it to you. Just as I wish I could describe red to my colorblind husband.
I'll think about it; maybe I can come up with something.
LOL. That made me laugh. Thanks for putting energy into it either way.

limoman

Post by limoman » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:10 pm

Abbi Baily wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:08 pm
Limoman for one.
I did?? When? where? And IF you have me blocked how would you know? Just curious, not trying to start anything.

Cat's Paw

Post by Cat's Paw » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:08 pm

Abbi Baily wrote:
Screen Shot 10.png

I edit my posts a lot. Frequently, too. As a writing teacher of mine emphasized, editing is something good writers embrace. However, I have been accused of dishonesty when I do this. I find that galling, since my corrections are in the interest of accuracy, thank you, and not a sign of disingenuity.
No other forum I've participated on has included such a notation. Can you axe it?
ME TOO !!
I just have to edit my stuff. I have resorted to posting a first line, "Don't read it yet. I'm still editing!"

Euro Yank

Post by Euro Yank » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:14 pm

Cat's Paw wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:08 pm
Abbi Baily wrote:
Screen Shot 10.png

ME TOO !!
I just have to edit my stuff. I have resorted to posting a first line, "Don't read it yet. I'm still editing!"

As someone who tries to write in more than one language, I can empathize with your point.... however, ensuring the integrity of a conversational thread is also important.

If I write A ...and you reply ...then I edit to say B ...your comment now may make you look like an ass. And nobody knows I edited anything. How is that good?

Better to just admit we are editing for grammatical reasons.

Cat's Paw

Post by Cat's Paw » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:09 pm

Euro Yank wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:14 pm
Cat's Paw wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:08 pm
Abbi Baily wrote:
Screen Shot 10.png

ME TOO !!

As someone who tries to write in more than one language, I can empathize with your point.... however, ensuring the integrity of a conversational thread is also important.

If I write A ...and you reply ...then I edit to say B ...your comment now may make you look like an ass. And nobody knows I edited anything. How is that good?

Better to just admit we are editing for grammatical reasons.

It's not. but I edit. Sometimes I think I wrote what I meant, but when I re-read it, I find that what I wrote doesn't seem to mean what I thought it did, so what's the good in that? I don't have much problem, but there have been occasions when someone jumped me for it. That was tough luck. Tuff for me, and tuff for whoever took offense. Well eff. It's a odd forum anyway. doesn't make any difference anyway. Little pond, little fishies, and not too many.

Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:59 pm

Cat's Paw wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:09 pm
Well eff.
When I correct a typo I don't usually say anything, but if it's more than that I'll put something like
Edit: for clarity
Edit: F U autocorrect!
So that I'm acknowledging it's different than it was.

The issue is that sometimes people respond to your post, then you edit, and they feel it affected the appropriateness of what their response was. I get it.

Incidentally, many of the places I've commented would note that a post had been edited.

scarab280

Post by scarab280 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:42 pm

Abbi Baily wrote:
Screen Shot 10.png

Good grief, if no one ever edited anything (myself very much included in that) what a hot mess of posts there would be lol...
I worked to pay my way through University editing post grad theses and doctorates, editing is a vital part of any written work...

scarab280

Post by scarab280 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:23 pm

[. Little pond, little fishies, and not too many.
[/quote]

I thought most puddycats like to eat little fishes 🐱👅🐟