Threading Withen Thread

Request and vote on future improvements for the Neighborhood. Your patience is appreciated.

What do you thik about this feature

I'd use it!
73%
I'm indifferent
27%
I think it would be annoy.
No votes

Total votes: 11

LeroyBrown
Site Admin

Threading Withen Thread

Post by LeroyBrown » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:16 pm

This one was brought up before we even started. I wanted to make it a request upfront. I don't think I can make a true threaded view within a topic. I think I might be able to match posts that have quoted each other in their responses. What would then happen is there would be an icon that appeared in all posts that were part of a conversation, and if you clicked on it would pop up a new window with the conversation in a tiered view and hopefully allow you to respond from there. I wanted to put up a poll to make sure this rendition of the feature would make sense for people. It's a pretty complicated feature and I'm not making any promise, but I can give it a shot if there is interest.

There are some trade-offs. This will add load to the server and probably make pages in a topic load more slowly. We may have to either reduce the number of comments we show in each page, or the ability to see conversations to only your own posts. It's something we will have to play with and see how it works out.

Kit Springs

Re: Tiering Withen Thread

Post by Kit Springs » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:50 pm

I would find that most helpful.
So I vote Yes! :P

FWIW72

Post by FWIW72 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:26 am

Since we are transitioning from the Disqus site where conversations were threaded, I think anything we can do to make it less-time consuming to track "conversations" is going to be very helpful, especially for those of us (myself included) who have little to no experience with flat forums (see, I learned a new word last week). If it's too difficult and/or time consuming to try to follow along, we could see a fair degree of participation melt... let's just be honest here...we are not the digital natives. :lol:

Thanks in advance for all who are & will be working on making this place *awesome*.

Cell Zealot

Post by Cell Zealot » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:14 am

To be honest, it sounds like a kludge and not a particularly effective one.

I would vote for it only because it will probably be a highly desirable feature to implement but we are going to have a great deal of adapting to do to get used to the idiosyncrasies of this format.

I am patient and appreciate the effort and acumen required to make these sorts of enhancements.

scarab280

Post by scarab280 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:00 am

I vote Yes...it would be appreciated, and help.the 'flow' of discussions/topic comments.

nellienobody

Post by nellienobody » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:10 pm

LeroyBrown wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:16 pm
This one was brought up before we even started. I wanted to make it a request up front. I don't think I can make a true tiered view within a topic. I think I might be able to match posts that have quoted each other in their responses. What would then happen is there would be an icon that appeared in all posts that were part of a conversation, and if you clicked on it would pop up a new window with the conversation in a tiered view and hopefully allow you to respond from there. I wanted to put up a poll to make sure this rendition of the feature would makes sense for people. It's a pretty complicated feature and I'm not making any promise, but I can give it a shot if there is interest.

There are some trade offs. This will add load to the server and probably make pages in a topic load more slowly. We may have to either reduce the number of comments we show in each page, or the ability to see conversations to only your own posts. It's something we will have to play with and see how it works out.
By "tiering" do you mean threading?

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:55 pm

nellienobody wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:10 pm
By "tiering" do you mean threading?
Correct and I probably should have used the correct term.

scarab280

Post by scarab280 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:25 pm

LeroyBrown wrote:
This one was brought up before we even started. I wanted to make it a request up front. I don't think I can make a true tiered view within a topic. I think I might be able to match posts that have quoted each other in their responses. What would then happen is there would be an icon that appeared in all posts that were part of a conversation, and if you clicked on it would pop up a new window with the conversation in a tiered view and hopefully allow you to respond from there. I wanted to put up a poll to make sure this rendition of the feature would makes sense for people. It's a pretty complicated feature and I'm not making any promise, but I can give it a shot if there is interest.

There are some trade offs. This will add load to the server and probably make pages in a topic load more slowly. We may have to either reduce the number of comments we show in each page, or the ability to see conversations to only your own posts. It's something we will have to play with and see how it works out.

Thank you for building this site. With a little enthusiasm and effort on our part (the contributors to posts), we can make it grow, and thrive.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:06 am

scarab280 wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:25 pm
Thank you for building this site. With a little enthusiasm and effort on our part (the contributors to posts), we can make it grow, and thrive.
You are welcome. I still have a to-do list. But this first week most of my time has been spent making sure everyone makes it on okay.

sun

Post by sun » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:32 pm

LeroyBrown wrote:
With the upcoming open topic thread like NoPo and anticipated traffic ,I suspect the lag would be very noticeable ?

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:17 pm

sun wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:32 pm
I suspect the lag would be very noticeable ?
It would depend on how many topics were in each page which is configurable. Another option might be to present to button on every comment and then when you click it if there are no other comments associated you would just get that comment alone. That might be a better option that wouldn't slow down the rest of the site. I'm still thinking this all through though.

sun

Post by sun » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:37 pm

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:17 pm
sun wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:32 pm
I suspect the lag would be very noticeable ?
It would depend on how many topics were in each page which is configurable. Another option might be to present to button on every comment and then when you click it if there are no other comments associated you would just get that comment alone. That might be a better option that wouldn't slow down the rest of the site. I'm still thinking this all through though.
I don't envy you trying to consider all the factors that will be involved with the varying ways topics can happen in an Open thread and volume fluctuations throughout.

Deleted User 70

Re: Threading Withen Thread

Post by Deleted User 70 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:59 pm

We could try out the threading option to see how we like it. If it doesn't work, you can take it out again right?

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:12 pm

Abbi Baily wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:59 pm
We could try out the threading option to see how we like it. If it doesn't work, you can take it out again right?
That is true, but this is a significant development effort. In fact, I'm not even sure I can do it on my own. I may have to find better coders to help me out.

Deleted User 70

Post by Deleted User 70 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:18 pm

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:12 pm
That is true, but this is a significant development effort.
I'm sorry. I keep assuming you find this easy. You do what is in your comfort zone. Don't let us bully you into the equivalent of tightrope walking.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:59 pm

Abbi Baily wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:18 pm
I'm sorry. I keep assuming you find this easy.
Some of it is easy, and that's the stuff that I can drop in quickly. But when it comes to custom web work, I'm not a developer. I've dabbled with some coding over the years out of necessity, but it's not something I am very skilled at. So if it comes to making adjustments within the existing system or adding extensions, yeah that's pretty easy (takes time but it isn't hard for me.), but when we get to custom development it's a different skill set entirely.

Euro Yank

Post by Euro Yank » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:39 am

LeroyBrown wrote:
This one was brought up before we even started. I wanted to make it a request upfront. I don't think I can make a true threaded view within a topic. I think I might be able to match posts that have quoted each other in their responses. What would then happen is there would be an icon that appeared in all posts that were part of a conversation, and if you clicked on it would pop up a new window with the conversation in a tiered view and hopefully allow you to respond from there. I wanted to put up a poll to make sure this rendition of the feature would make sense for people. It's a pretty complicated feature and I'm not making any promise, but I can give it a shot if there is interest.

There are some trade-offs. This will add load to the server and probably make pages in a topic load more slowly. We may have to either reduce the number of comments we show in each page, or the ability to see conversations to only your own posts. It's something we will have to play with and see how it works out.

Dear Leroy - I'm not sure where to post a question / or problem to you guys... but this is the point I want to make....
I can modify your comments and make it look like you said something that you didn't say. I've seen it done several times already, I assume by people mis-using the system here rather than someone trying to create "fake comments"... but it's a problem.

I know I'm supposed to type down here.... but see how I just modified LeroyBrown's comments?!?!?
Sign me sincerely concerned,
Euro Yank

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:46 pm

Euro Yank wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:39 am
I know I'm supposed to type down here.... but see how I just modified LeroyBrown's comments?!?!?
You didn't modify my comment it still stands exactly as written. You notified your quoting of my comment, which is true in any system where you quote someone's comment. Email, Disqus or any other. My true comment is still above for everyone to see.