Real Time Chat

Request and vote on future improvements for the Neighborhood. Your patience is appreciated.
GuideToACrazyWorld

Real Time Chat

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:20 pm

There has been a lot of talk about the real-time feel of the Open threads and how that will be different here. There is a real-time chat extension for PHPBB. (Actually 2 different ones) It will be hard to test and we would probably have to roll it out to see how well it really works, but it will create another layer of communication. It will function like a chat room or a group text. It definitely would not be threaded as no real-time chat is. I wanted to throw it out there as a possible option and see what people think about it. I could get it up today.

This would give people a literal real-time chat, but from reading the comments I'm not sure if that is really what people want. I think what some people really want is threading in topics. There is a vote up for that as well. Anyway I'd like to gauge general interest on this extention.

Deleted User 70

Re: Real Time Chat

Post by Deleted User 70 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:46 pm

A chat option would be lovely. I'd definitely try it out. Threading would be good too.

FWIW72

Post by FWIW72 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:03 pm

TBH, it''s hard for me to know about either really without seeing them in action. My brain has never been good at generating images from scratch.

Truthfully, I am getting used to the nested quotes & their ability to keep me clued into what the conversation is about even when the post being made is a response to a post made 15 pages earlier. As long as people use the quote function.

I am also getting competent at using the pared-down quote option (so, not quoting the whole post I'm responding to) so I don't feel like I'm creating a giant post of nested comments just to respond to one line in someone else's post.

And figuring out that the little black arrow in a quote takes you to that person's post that contains that quote is handy. I can then use my back button to go back to where I was.

So, I'm figuring it out. But that's me.

I am also using a laptop or desktop, not a phone 80% of the time.

IIRC, the threading option would required a pop-up window and that starts to make my head hurt, but also, that's just me.

Now that I think about how this would work, I suppose one concern I have about implementing a threading function or chat function is that people would stop using the quoting feature while in those options & thus those who can't use threading (e.g., device issues) or choose not to use threading wouldn't be able to follow along at all.

That's about all the thinking I can muster today... :|

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:11 pm

FWIW72 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:03 pm
I suppose one concern I have about implementing a threading function or chat function is that people would stop using the quoting feature while in those options & thus those who can't use threading
Just to be clear the only thing in the database that ties one comment to another is a quote. So without quoting there would be no threading option.

FWIW72

Post by FWIW72 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:24 pm

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:11 pm
FWIW72 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:03 pm
I suppose one concern I have about implementing a threading function or chat function is that people would stop using the quoting feature while in those options & thus those who can't use threading
Just to be clear the only thing in the database that ties one comment to another is a quote. So without quoting there would be no threading option.
Ok, so if I'm understanding this, even using threading, people would still have use the quoting feature because what makes the threading feature possible is the ability of the code to grab the connected posts - which are connected to each other because users quoted each other - and just group them together in one place.

If that's the case, my concerns are alleviated.

DarkSide of the Moon

Post by DarkSide of the Moon » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:14 pm

@GuideToACrazyWorld
Abbi Baily wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:46 pm
A chat option would be lovely. I'd definitely try it out. Threading would be good too.
I agree.
Besides let's give it a shot and see if it works out. We really won't know unless we try it out.
All part of tweaking things to improve things.

BTW: thanks Guide for all you're doing, it's greatly appreciated.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:56 pm

FWIW72 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:24 pm
Ok, so if I'm understanding this, even using threading, people would still have use the quoting feature because what makes the threading feature possible is the ability of the code to grab the connected posts - which are connected to each other because users quoted each other - and just group them together in one place.
That is correct.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:56 pm

DarkSide of the Moon wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:14 pm
BTW: thanks Guide for all you're doing, it's greatly appreciated.
You are all welcome.

baldric

Post by baldric » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:15 pm

i'd dig a real-time chat option. that'd be petty cool, but i'm not here often enough to really count much.

i find my (greatly-diminished) free time to be subject to many demands: still writing, still bingeing tv shows, working 78,000 days a week (or so it feels), and warring with spectrum to get working internet for the past 2 weeks; so 10 minutes here and there for AA is a luxury i can rarely afford.

SIASD (& 別對牛彈琴)

Post by SIASD (& 別對牛彈琴) » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:55 am

Abbi Baily wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:46 pm
ditto from me

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:08 am

I have the real-time chat in test. There are a lot of options that users can configure. I'm going to try to roll it into prod tomorrow and let people take a look.