Can we eventually turn off "you have thanked a post"?

Request and vote on future improvements for the Neighborhood. Your patience is appreciated.
FWIW72

Can we eventually turn off "you have thanked a post"?

Post by FWIW72 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:21 pm

Not urgent...but if this is something we could look into...

When we thank a post, we currently get redirected to a new page that tells us we did just that. Then it bounces us back to the post we thanked. It *really* slows down reading & navigating, especially in this board format.

Since there is an icon that shows us if we've thanked or not (the thumbs up turns upside down once you've thanked), the redirect to a page that says we've thanked seems unnecessary.

And I suspect it eats up a little data on mobile devices each time.

Since we were able to turn off the "Are you sure you want to make that post - someone else just posted" 'feature', I was hoping maybe this one could be turned off too.

Thanks!

GuideToACrazyWorld

Re: Can we eventually turn off "you have thanked a post"?

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:46 pm

FWIW72 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:21 pm
Since there is an icon that shows us if we've thanked or not (the thumbs up turns upside down once you've thanked), the redirect to a page that says we've thanked seems unnecessary.
Loading a new page isn't the cleanest way to do it, but whoever wrote thanks for posts did it as a way to refresh the page, most likely because they don't know ajax (the language that lets you update web pages without refreshing.) That means good news and bad news. The good news it is possible to change it. Bad news I also don't know ajax. I could certainly try at some point but learning a whole new language from scratch is a huge undertaking. Chances are by the time I figured it out we will be revisions down the road. I can take a look through after I'm done with the Conversation view thing. It actually drives me crazy too, another option might be a simple refresh of the page.

FWIW72

Post by FWIW72 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:15 pm

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:46 pm
The good news it is possible to change it. Bad news I also don't know ajax.
Thanks, Guide.

It's certainly not something I consider a top-of-the-list thing. Just wanted to get it on the list as a possible thing to tackle when there's a moment. Ha. *If* there's a moment.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:17 pm

FWIW72 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:15 pm
It's certainly not something I consider a top-of-the-list things. Just wanted to get it on the list as a possible thing to tackle when there's a moment. Ha. *If* there's a moment.
I get it it was an odd choice. I think they scraped some code from the post function and used it. Probably for consistency, to save time on coding or because they didn't know how to code it from scratch. I do a lot of that myself lol.

Deleted User 70

Post by Deleted User 70 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:43 pm

FWIW72 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:21 pm
That bugs me a little too. But not much.