iPhone Photo Orientation

Request and vote on future improvements for the Neighborhood. Your patience is appreciated.
GuideToACrazyWorld

iPhone Photo Orientation

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:16 pm

@Mysterious Cat
@Impetus
@Mr. Buh The Watchful
@Tarmaque

I've got a solution working for my phone in test. It's a pretty hacky (it's a word) solution but a relatively simple one. This has the added advantage of stripping the header information out of the file. That means it should also strip the geotagging (location information) out of the picture. This is a much better security for anyone posting pics here. I don't see why it would cause any issues with other pictures but I'm always nervous with these kinds of fixes. If eveyone can keep an eye out for any new issues and let me know right a way. We can always roll back.

I'm going to implement the change in Prod now. Let me know how it goes.

Tarmaque

Re: iPhone Photo Orientation

Post by Tarmaque » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:41 pm

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:16 pm
@Mysterious Cat
@Impetus
@Mr. Buh The Watchful
@Tarmaque

I've got a solution working for my phone in test. It's a pretty hacky (it's a word) solution but a relatively simple one. This has the added advantage of stripping the header information out of the file. That means it should also strip the geotagging (location information) out of the picture. This is a much better security for anyone posting pics here. I don't see why it would cause any issues with other pictures but I'm always nervous with these kinds of fixes. If eveyone can keep an eye out for any new issues and let me know right a way. We can always roll back.

I'm going to implement the change in Prod now. Let me know how it goes.
I generally don't use my phone for pictures, but if I notice anything I'll let you know. I've never had problems with photos from my camera, or from graphics I've made with Photoshop.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:44 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:41 pm
I generally don't use my phone for pictures,
Me either I don't like that my GPS is in the metadata. The good thing is this now strips all of that out.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:28 pm

Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:44 pm
Tarmaque wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:41 pm
I generally don't use my phone for pictures,
Me either I don't like that my GPS is in the metadata. The good thing is this now strips all of that out.
I don't mind that so much for the few times I take pictures with my phone. I used to use it a lot when I was running CNC machinery. I'd take a picture of the screen before I changed values in the program so I could go back to where I started, for instance. Or sometimes I'd take pictures of particularly interesting parts.

However I don't take "photographs" with my phone. Not things I really want to share or anything. I also tend to strip out metadata when I manipulate photographs in Photoshop or Krita.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:49 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:28 pm
I don't mind that so much for the few times I take pictures with my phone. I used to use it a lot when I was running CNC machinery.
What kind of CNC Machine did you run? I ran a lathe for a while. Did some break press and Pem nut work too (not CNC). I put myself through school working in a sheet metal shop.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:57 am

Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:49 pm
Tarmaque wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:28 pm
I don't mind that so much for the few times I take pictures with my phone. I used to use it a lot when I was running CNC machinery.
What kind of CNC Machine did you run? I ran a lathe for a while. Did some break press and Pem nut work too (not CNC). I put myself through school working in a sheet metal shop.
I ran CNC Presses for about 20 years. I've run a pem nut and rivet machine too. I've never ran CNC lathes or mills though. There's a lot more call for that than Press operators but it doesn't really interest me. I'm sure I could learn it. I've run manual mills and lathes, but not really professionally. I have a general grasp of the theory, but no experience.

But I've got lots of machine shop experience. I've even done some laser/plasma CNC nesting and programming. I can weld (badly) and use pretty much all your basic fabrication tools. But I'm trying to get out of that. I'm too old for that shyte.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:05 am

Tarmaque wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:57 am
I've even done some laser/plasma CNC nesting and programming.
I've never worked at a place that had laser or plasma. That would have been fun.
Tarmaque wrote:
I can weld (badly) and use pretty much all your basic fabrication tools. But I'm trying to get out of that.
Not me. I don't do well with things that require fine hand-eye coordination. It's part of the problem with my dyslexia. I

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:26 am

Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:05 am
I've never worked at a place that had laser or plasma. That would have been fun.
Tarmaque wrote:
I can weld (badly) and use pretty much all your basic fabrication tools. But I'm trying to get out of that.
Not me. I don't do well with things that require fine hand-eye coordination. It's part of the problem with my dyslexia. I
Me too. My hands don't have the smooth action it takes to run a nice seam. I can glue stuff together, but I can't make it pretty. And I don't have a lot of the special knowledge about pre-heating and so forth. However I have welded up some pretty cool stuff over the years. It just takes me a while and there's going to be a lot of cleanup.

I can use AutoCAD, so I can draw things up to cut with a Laser or Plasma table. I have a couple projects right now that I'm slowly working on. I should be doing that right now. Lasers are cool. I'd love to have a small one in my garage. You can get little 4 foot by 5 foot tables for thin gage stuff. Even cooler are the table-top water jet machines. They look like big microwaves.

I miss having a shop around where I could just make whatever I wanted. Here's a little woodstove I built back in the day. The top door is an oven. Burning wood I can get it up to about 350º, but burning charcoal I can get it up to 500º

Crappy picture is the only one I have. It's buried under some crap in my garage right now. Nowhere to in install it here.
IMG_20141106_121543.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:35 am

Tarmaque wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:26 am
It just takes me a while and there's going to be a lot of cleanup.
Of you can't weld but you can grind you are good in the end. LOL
Tarmaque wrote:
I can use AutoCAD, so I can draw things up to cut with a Laser or Plasma table.
I haven't touched AutoCad in 20+ years. My first major was Architecture, but the schools all still did hand drafting classes back then. I could have gone through learning disablity testing again and got help to get through, but I was young and stupid, I got mad and walked away. I went back later for comptuers instead.
Tarmaque wrote:
Even cooler are the table-top water jet machines. T
I have seen demos of those and they are very cool.
Tarmaque wrote:
Here's a little woodstove I built back in the day. The top door is an oven. Burning wood I can get it up to about 350º,
To me that is a smoker! Very nice work. you could sell those.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:05 am

Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:35 am
To me that is a smoker! Very nice work. you could sell those.
It doesn't smoke stuff. It's an actual oven, separate from the fire box. If I had it to do again I'd do it different. Typically ovens are on the side of the firebox, but I never realized why until I made that one. That way you can cook on the top too. The top of this one doesn't get hot enough really to cook on.

It has some neat features, but to be honest it wouldn't be economical to sell. I put a ton of work into it. I designed it for a small space like a trailer or tiny home. I think it would run you out of a small space like that if you tried to bake something in the oven! But it is designed to be really clean (it's fully air-tight) and it has an internal ash tray you can pull out and empty. I would do the draft vents a lot different if I were to do it again. It was a consequence of the equipment I had at my disposal. They work, but they also don't flow quite enough air. That's why I had to add the big one on the front.

Still, I hope to install it somewhere someday.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:08 am

Tarmaque wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:05 am
It doesn't smoke stuff. It's an actual oven, separate from the fire box. If I had it to do again I'd do it different. Typically ovens are on the side of the firebox, but I never realized why until I made that one. That way you can cook on the top too. The top of this one doesn't get hot enough really to cook on.
The difference between a wood oven and smoker is temperature. A skilled stick burner could hold that thing at 225. I use a Traeger, I'm old and lazy :lol:

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:16 am

Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:08 am
Tarmaque wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:05 am
The difference between a wood oven and smoker is temperature. A skilled stick burner could hold that thing at 225. I use a Traeger, I'm old and lazy :lol:
If no smoke reaches the meat, then it's not a smoker it's an oven. Traegers are good for lazy people. I have a propane smoker that gets used about once a year. Although I should try smoking some chickens one of these days. Or a turkey breast. It's double walled and will hold about 375º on a thermostat. We usually smoke sausage at around 240º but it would cook a chicken just fine at 300º I think.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:21 am

Tarmaque wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:16 am
If no smoke reaches the meat, then it's not a smoker it's an oven.
Oh I got it to now the chambers are entirely independent I was being slow. I have a drill, I can make it a smoker :lol:
Tarmaque wrote:
aegers are good for lazy people. I have a propane smoker that gets used about once a year.

I used to smoke 4 times a year, then I got the treager now I do it all the time.Propane smokers can be a tricky sometimes though.
Tarmaque wrote:
Or a turkey breast.
Smoked turkey breast all the way.
Tarmaque wrote:
meat, then it's not a smoker it's an oven. Traegers are good for lazy people. I have a propane smoker that gets used about once a year. Although I should try smoking some chickens one of these days. Or a turkey breast. It's double walled and will hold about 375º on a thermostat. We usu
Yeah 240 for a chicken gets you that rubbery skin. ewwww

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:27 pm

Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:21 am
Oh I got it to now the chambers are entirely independent I was being slow. I have a drill, I can make it a smoker :lol:
This thing is tiny. You might find it difficult to get a drill inside the oven!

Nah, it is what it is because that's what I designed. As I said, I'd do it different if I did it again. Unlikely, since I don't have access to a shop anymore.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:06 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:27 pm
Nah, it is what it is because that's what I designed.
I was totally kidding.